Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting two separate Oneworld flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Connecting two separate Oneworld flights

Hi everyone. I have a flight from Jordan (initially Israel) to Bangkok with Royal Jordanian airlines. After I land, I have a flight with Qantas three hours later. Both flights were booked separately and both are in business class.

When I check in for the Royal Jordanian flight will they connect my flights and check my baggage through? I have been told its possible with Oneworld Airlines. Is it the policy that they WILL do this, or is it up to the discretion of each airline? I know with Star Alliance some airlines do this, some don't.

And if they do check my baggage through, does that mean I can just transfer instead of having to leave immigration and pick up my Qantas ticket at the transfer desk? That would make my three hour connection a lot less scary. Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
oneworld is the same as Star Alliance in that some do and some don't. Yes, if they check you and your bags through then you can just do an airside transfer at BKK.

As to whether they do you need to as RJ.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I think your other post on the subject was in the correct forum.

Anecdotally, RJ is pretty good with this (e.g. even to Delta).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Only definitely occurs if booked on the one ticket these days
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that even if the bags are checked through, you are not connecting and that the risk of a no show on your onwards ticket is on you. Make sure that you schedule enough time between your two tickets to satisfy your risk tolerance for delays.

As a data point, AA is the only OW carrier which protects across tickets, both AA-AA and AA-OW.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by moa999
Only definitely occurs if booked on the one ticket these days
oneworld's policy is that if it's in one PNR, even if separate tickets, bags will be checked through.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
oneworld's policy is that if it's in one PNR, even if separate tickets, bags will be checked through.
I've tried googling PNR but it tells me it is "passenger name record" - I mean, yes, they are both under my name?

I'm definitely interested to see what happens as I'm having a lot of conflicting opinions here and I'll be reporting back!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I've tried googling PNR but it tells me it is "passenger name record" - I mean, yes, they are both under my name?

I'm definitely interested to see what happens as I'm having a lot of conflicting opinions here and I'll be reporting back!
A PNR is sort of the plain folder that holds the tickets for a trip. A PNR can have more than 1 ticket. Different airlines can have their own PNR for a ticket.

No reports on RJ policy in the main thread on interling baggage on separate PNR's--->Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

A "PNR" 'number' is basically your "Booking Reference" ... it is used to look up your booking.

In relation to this thread, most oneworld airlines will not through check luggage across separate bookings (or PNR's).

Anecdotally, RJ will do this, but there is no guarantee.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Was not successful. The staff on the counters were new and learning, so this may have influenced why they said no.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Was not successful. The staff on the counters were new and learning, so this may have influenced why they said no.
For the record, airlines have no obligation to interline your separate bookings and check your luggage through to your final destination (Australia?)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:01 am
Original Poster

I'm not mad in the slightest that they didn't, that wasn't the intention of the post, I mentioned the experience level because it may be relevant for someone else Googling a similar question in the future. I was not successful, but others with RJ were. One contributing factor for mine was the staff were all relatively new - for one it was her very first day. They had put the wrong FF on my ticket. At the gate I told them and asked them to change it (with plenty of time before the flight). They said they couldn't and told me to change it in Amman... I figured with a 45 minute connection the counter staff at RJ in Amman would probably not have time - but nope, they took the time to change it to the correct number and all was well. I'm 95% certain the staff at Tel Aviv could have changed it but they didn't know how as, well, they were new.

Despite leaving 15 minutes late we arrived early and I had plenty of time to clear immigration, get my bag and then check back in - and had an extra hour in the lounge in Bangkok.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Bear in mind that even if the bags are checked through, you are not connecting and that the risk of a no show on your onwards ticket is on you. Make sure that you schedule enough time between your two tickets to satisfy your risk tolerance for delays.
As a data point, AA is the only OW carrier which protects across tickets, both AA-AA and AA-OW.
Please don't go so fast.
In June 2018, I flew Miami-PhL on AA (on a BA reward ticket) connecting to PHL-Quebec (also on AA first) and wanted to check my luggage through from Miami to Quebec but the AA staff at MIA counter said NO as the two flights were not on the same booking.
AA and One world stated policy is that they guarantee through check baggage only if the flights are on the same ticket/PNR.
Anything else is discretionary at the airport.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by lall
Please don't go so fast.
In June 2018, I flew Miami-PhL on AA (on a BA reward ticket) connecting to PHL-Quebec (also on AA first) and wanted to check my luggage through from Miami to Quebec but the AA staff at MIA counter said NO as the two flights were not on the same booking.
AA and One world stated policy is that they guarantee through check baggage only if the flights are on the same ticket/PNR.
Anything else is discretionary at the airport.
Protect means that if you arrive too late for your flight on the second ticket AA will rebook you. Protect does not mean that you can check luggage thru between flights on different PNRs.
jridge likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Agreed that your ticket isn't protected but it does take all of a few minutes usually to transfer, versus the 30-60+ minutes to clear immigration/collect bags/check in/clear immigration again. So with my 3-hour layover, if the plane had been delayed an hour and my bags had been checked through, I'd have been fine - no sweat. Go to the transfer desk, check in and all is well. But as Qantas closed check-in 90 minutes prior to leaving, if my bags weren't checked through, making that would have been very tight if my bag had not come out quickly (and reports I'd read said it could take 45+ minutes). So it does make a big difference as to your likelihood of making your next flight.

Of course it's ultimately my fault for having made the booking. I didn't calculate the difference correctly (in my mind there was a 5 hour gap not a 3 hour gap - I usually leave 5 hours for connecting international flights on separate tickets). I got lucky and had no problems but I WON'T be tempting fate again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.