Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Can I do this round the world trip on Oneworld?

Can I do this round the world trip on Oneworld?

Old May 20, 18, 2:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: GLA
Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Posts: 641
Can I do this round the world trip on Oneworld?

So I could research this myself, and if you deem me being lazy then sure tell me to go find out myself. But just thought someone on here might be able to tell me from their own knowledge.

I plan (one day in the next 5 years) to do a round the world trip with the family. Basically it would be London to Kenya to go on safari for a week, then onto Brisbane Australia for 10 days to visit family, then onto Hawaii for 2 weeks (always wanted to go). Then onto California (San Fran and LA), mostly for the wife. Then onto the Barbados or similar for 2 weeks by the beach. Then home.

I kind of assume I can do this on BA, Quantas and AA. But not sure about Kenya to Brisbane?

Also, a lot of travellers on here. Does that sound like a decent trip or would you change something drastically? Any must sees to add in? Bit concerned taking 2 little ones to Africa what with malaria risks. Is that on safari in Kenya?

Thanks.
cupsandsaucers is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 2:56 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,091
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers View Post
So I could research this myself, and if you deem me being lazy then sure tell me to go find out myself. But just thought someone on here might be able to tell me from their own knowledge.

I plan (one day in the next 5 years) to do a round the world trip with the family. Basically it would be London to Kenya to go on safari for a week, then onto Brisbane Australia for 10 days to visit family, then onto Hawaii for 2 weeks (always wanted to go). Then onto California (San Fran and LA), mostly for the wife. Then onto the Barbados or similar for 2 weeks by the beach. Then home.

I kind of assume I can do this on BA, Quantas and AA. But not sure about Kenya to Brisbane?

Also, a lot of travellers on here. Does that sound like a decent trip or would you change something drastically? Any must sees to add in? Bit concerned taking 2 little ones to Africa what with malaria risks. Is that on safari in Kenya?

Thanks.
More detailed experts may be able to help but from Kenya you may have the choice of going to South Africa then Qantas to Austraila or from Kenya to doha then australia with Qatar

I think you would also need to go via Sydney with Qantas to get to HNL ( and make sure the Australia-HNL flight is on QF metal and not operated by Jetstar ( as you would not get any tier points or avios on jetstar

You may want to look at the oneworld forum here on FT also.

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 2:57 pm
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,348
There is a Flyertalk forum specific to oneworld travel and that's a good resource for this and oneworld RTW ticketing too.

For the incorrigible travel dreamer (self included) the Flight Schedule / Where We Fly section of the oneworld.com website is a good place to start, using the Sort By Stops option. And this shows, in addition to BA, Qatar's service from Nairobi to Doha, and Kilimanjaro-Doha. South Africa / Zimbabwe / Uganda / Namibia would give other options.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 2:58 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 549
Keen to see the answer regarding flights. One thing to note is that, lots of safari operators won't take young children out in open-top game viewing vehicles.
Calchas likes this.
CloudGazer is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 3:03 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,788
Alliances / partners come & go. Routes change. Five years maybe too far out in the future ?
HMPS is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 3:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 353
Google flights is good for searching current routes, filtering by airline.

Don't know about RtW fare rules, but I assume you could split LON-NBO/JNB-SYD or PER-BNE on QF. You would have to pay between nbo and jnb. Alternative is NBO-DOH-Aus on QR.

Note SA requires documentation for children entering the country, which you would have to on separate tickets. Not sure how old your kids are, but there are pediatric antimalarials and you'll need other vaccinations too. If you really don't want any risk of malaria you can visit southern SA (Addo or Hluhluwe-Umfolozi). Each has very different landscapes and attractions. Note safari activities for under 12s can be limited (e.g. open sided drives, walks) so do some research or pay a good travel advisor.

Must sees? Give us a clue of your interests and children's ages and we might have a chance!
konagirl2 is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 3:31 pm
  #7  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 19,291
Please follow this thread as it moves to the oneworld forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Prospero is offline  
Old May 20, 18, 8:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,542
What you plan to do sounds easily doable with an OW RTW.
But it seems a bit of a waste. You actually have 16 flights. This is usually enough for 8-10 real destinations. You also have one year to use the ticket.

Assuming you are in Eco you should compare the cost of one way flights. With this few destinations this is often cheaper, does not restrict you to flights on Oneworld and most likely allows you to take more convenient flights.In Business Class a RTW ticket usually turns out to be cheaper.

Google flights is a good tool to search for one way ticket prices and also by setting the filter to Oneworld for OW flights.

You could also consider doing Thailand or Vietnam for beach instead of Barbados. Other fun places on the way are Capetown, Hong Kong, Sydney and many more. But that comes down to time and personal preference. The advantage of an RTW is that you can add these places to the ticket for not much extra money (mainly the taxes/fees).
konagirl2 likes this.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old May 21, 18, 8:06 am
  #9  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,212
You could book this tomorrow with travel good for a year. Here's one (basic) route - click here for details.



In economy starting in the UK, this would cost GBP 2100 plus fees and taxes, 25% less for kids under 12. In business class the price jumps up to GBP 6200, but since RTW tickets are priced differently depending on where you start and end, you could save quite a lot on the business class option by starting in someplace like, say, Norway (GBP 5295.) You would need to do some research on the "best" options for you once you're ready to pull the trigger.

The tickets are good for a year and offer other advantages like a fairly liberal change policy, baggage is included, etc.

As mentioned, the above map shows 11 segments out of a total of 16 available, so you could travel more extensively in North America (which includes Central America as well as the Caribbean) or perhaps include New Zealand during your time in the antipodes.
christep likes this.
Gardyloo is offline  
Old May 21, 18, 10:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Japan
Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Posts: 1,506
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
You could book this tomorrow with travel good for a year. Here's one (basic) route - click here for details.



In economy starting in the UK, this would cost GBP 2100 plus fees and taxes, 25% less for kids under 12. In business class the price jumps up to GBP 6200, but since RTW tickets are priced differently depending on where you start and end, you could save quite a lot on the business class option by starting in someplace like, say, Norway (GBP 5295.) You would need to do some research on the "best" options for you once you're ready to pull the trigger.

The tickets are good for a year and offer other advantages like a fairly liberal change policy, baggage is included, etc.

As mentioned, the above map shows 11 segments out of a total of 16 available, so you could travel more extensively in North America (which includes Central America as well as the Caribbean) or perhaps include New Zealand during your time in the antipodes.
Above route costs 2550GBP+tax from London, not 2100GBP+tax.
Also that route from Norway costs 6046GBP+tax for 5 continents business class oneworld RTW, not 5295GBP+tax.
Flight from DOH(Doha) to PER is considered as touching Asian continent.
christep likes this.
Wasabi Tofu is offline  
Old May 21, 18, 10:35 am
  #11  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,212
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Above route costs 2550GBP+tax from London, not 2100GBP+tax.
Also that route from Norway costs 6046GBP+tax for 5 continents business class oneworld RTW, not 5295GBP+tax.
Flight from DOH(Doha) to PER is considered as touching Asian continent.
Okay, well then it's cheaper to pay commercial from NBO to JNB and fly to SYD from there, or amend safari plans and do one in South Africa instead of Kenya (which I'd do anyway.)
Gardyloo is offline  
Old May 22, 18, 5:18 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 353
I agree it is a limited use of the RtW ticket, you could almost certainly fly for less as four separate return journeys from the UK if you simply choose the cheapest ticket, but of course that may not be what the OP wants to do.

With regard to 'where to safari', it really depends what the OP expects and wants from it. The landscapes, animal diversity, remoteness are all very different in different regions, as well as the costs. Also need to consider timings if visiting northern and southern hemisphere.
Calchas likes this.
konagirl2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread