FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Can I do this round the world trip on Oneworld? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1910308-can-i-do-round-world-trip-oneworld.html)

cupsandsaucers May 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Can I do this round the world trip on Oneworld?

So I could research this myself, and if you deem me being lazy then sure tell me to go find out myself. But just thought someone on here might be able to tell me from their own knowledge.

I plan (one day in the next 5 years) to do a round the world trip with the family. Basically it would be London to Kenya to go on safari for a week, then onto Brisbane Australia for 10 days to visit family, then onto Hawaii for 2 weeks (always wanted to go). Then onto California (San Fran and LA), mostly for the wife. Then onto the Barbados or similar for 2 weeks by the beach. Then home.

I kind of assume I can do this on BA, Quantas and AA. But not sure about Kenya to Brisbane?

Also, a lot of travellers on here. Does that sound like a decent trip or would you change something drastically? Any must sees to add in? Bit concerned taking 2 little ones to Africa what with malaria risks. Is that on safari in Kenya?

Thanks.

The _Banking_Scot May 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers (Post 29775009)
So I could research this myself, and if you deem me being lazy then sure tell me to go find out myself. But just thought someone on here might be able to tell me from their own knowledge.

I plan (one day in the next 5 years) to do a round the world trip with the family. Basically it would be London to Kenya to go on safari for a week, then onto Brisbane Australia for 10 days to visit family, then onto Hawaii for 2 weeks (always wanted to go). Then onto California (San Fran and LA), mostly for the wife. Then onto the Barbados or similar for 2 weeks by the beach. Then home.

I kind of assume I can do this on BA, Quantas and AA. But not sure about Kenya to Brisbane?

Also, a lot of travellers on here. Does that sound like a decent trip or would you change something drastically? Any must sees to add in? Bit concerned taking 2 little ones to Africa what with malaria risks. Is that on safari in Kenya?

Thanks.

More detailed experts may be able to help but from Kenya you may have the choice of going to South Africa then Qantas to Austraila or from Kenya to doha then australia with Qatar

I think you would also need to go via Sydney with Qantas to get to HNL ( and make sure the Australia-HNL flight is on QF metal and not operated by Jetstar ( as you would not get any tier points or avios on jetstar

You may want to look at the oneworld forum here on FT also.

Regards

TBS

corporate-wage-slave May 20, 2018 2:57 pm

There is a Flyertalk forum specific to oneworld travel and that's a good resource for this and oneworld RTW ticketing too.

For the incorrigible travel dreamer (self included) the Flight Schedule / Where We Fly section of the oneworld.com website is a good place to start, using the Sort By Stops option. And this shows, in addition to BA, Qatar's service from Nairobi to Doha, and Kilimanjaro-Doha. South Africa / Zimbabwe / Uganda / Namibia would give other options.

CloudGazer May 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Keen to see the answer regarding flights. One thing to note is that, lots of safari operators won't take young children out in open-top game viewing vehicles.

HMPS May 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Alliances / partners come & go. Routes change. Five years maybe too far out in the future ?

konagirl2 May 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Google flights is good for searching current routes, filtering by airline.

Don't know about RtW fare rules, but I assume you could split LON-NBO/JNB-SYD or PER-BNE on QF. You would have to pay between nbo and jnb. Alternative is NBO-DOH-Aus on QR.

Note SA requires documentation for children entering the country, which you would have to on separate tickets. Not sure how old your kids are, but there are pediatric antimalarials and you'll need other vaccinations too. If you really don't want any risk of malaria you can visit southern SA (Addo or Hluhluwe-Umfolozi). Each has very different landscapes and attractions. Note safari activities for under 12s can be limited (e.g. open sided drives, walks) so do some research or pay a good travel advisor.

Must sees? Give us a clue of your interests and children's ages and we might have a chance!

Prospero May 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Please follow this thread as it moves to the oneworld forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Unterwegs May 20, 2018 8:41 pm

What you plan to do sounds easily doable with an OW RTW.
But it seems a bit of a waste. You actually have 16 flights. This is usually enough for 8-10 real destinations. You also have one year to use the ticket.

Assuming you are in Eco you should compare the cost of one way flights. With this few destinations this is often cheaper, does not restrict you to flights on Oneworld and most likely allows you to take more convenient flights.In Business Class a RTW ticket usually turns out to be cheaper.

Google flights is a good tool to search for one way ticket prices and also by setting the filter to Oneworld for OW flights.

You could also consider doing Thailand or Vietnam for beach instead of Barbados. Other fun places on the way are Capetown, Hong Kong, Sydney and many more. But that comes down to time and personal preference. The advantage of an RTW is that you can add these places to the ticket for not much extra money (mainly the taxes/fees).

Gardyloo May 21, 2018 8:06 am

You could book this tomorrow with travel good for a year. Here's one (basic) route - click here for details.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PAT...PATH-COLOR=red

In economy starting in the UK, this would cost GBP 2100 plus fees and taxes, 25% less for kids under 12. In business class the price jumps up to GBP 6200, but since RTW tickets are priced differently depending on where you start and end, you could save quite a lot on the business class option by starting in someplace like, say, Norway (GBP 5295.) You would need to do some research on the "best" options for you once you're ready to pull the trigger.

The tickets are good for a year and offer other advantages like a fairly liberal change policy, baggage is included, etc.

As mentioned, the above map shows 11 segments out of a total of 16 available, so you could travel more extensively in North America (which includes Central America as well as the Caribbean) or perhaps include New Zealand during your time in the antipodes.

Wasabi Tofu May 21, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 29777303)
You could book this tomorrow with travel good for a year. Here's one (basic) route - click here for details.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PAT...PATH-COLOR=red

In economy starting in the UK, this would cost GBP 2100 plus fees and taxes, 25% less for kids under 12. In business class the price jumps up to GBP 6200, but since RTW tickets are priced differently depending on where you start and end, you could save quite a lot on the business class option by starting in someplace like, say, Norway (GBP 5295.) You would need to do some research on the "best" options for you once you're ready to pull the trigger.

The tickets are good for a year and offer other advantages like a fairly liberal change policy, baggage is included, etc.

As mentioned, the above map shows 11 segments out of a total of 16 available, so you could travel more extensively in North America (which includes Central America as well as the Caribbean) or perhaps include New Zealand during your time in the antipodes.

Above route costs 2550GBP+tax from London, not 2100GBP+tax.
Also that route from Norway costs 6046GBP+tax for 5 continents business class oneworld RTW, not 5295GBP+tax.
Flight from DOH(Doha) to PER is considered as touching Asian continent.

Gardyloo May 21, 2018 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu (Post 29777855)
Above route costs 2550GBP+tax from London, not 2100GBP+tax.
Also that route from Norway costs 6046GBP+tax for 5 continents business class oneworld RTW, not 5295GBP+tax.
Flight from DOH(Doha) to PER is considered as touching Asian continent.

Okay, well then it's cheaper to pay commercial from NBO to JNB and fly to SYD from there, or amend safari plans and do one in South Africa instead of Kenya (which I'd do anyway.)

konagirl2 May 22, 2018 5:18 am

I agree it is a limited use of the RtW ticket, you could almost certainly fly for less as four separate return journeys from the UK if you simply choose the cheapest ticket, but of course that may not be what the OP wants to do.

With regard to 'where to safari', it really depends what the OP expects and wants from it. The landscapes, animal diversity, remoteness are all very different in different regions, as well as the costs. Also need to consider timings if visiting northern and southern hemisphere.