Tc2-tc3-tc1-tc2?

Old Mar 29, 18, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Tc2-tc3-tc1-tc2?

If I start in TLV, which is I think the Middle East region of Europe/Middle East, would the following itinerary be valid?
tlv-lhr-hkg-cmb (stop) cmb-hkg-adl (stop) adl-per (stop) per-syd (stop) syd-dfw-eze (stop) eze-dfw-san (stop) san-dfw-mia (stop) mia-lax-lhr (stop) lhr-doh
I think it complies with all the rules, such two intercontinental arrivals and departures in North America, and being permitted an origination/destination surface sector within the Middle East, and only one transcon in North America and Australia, but I'm not completely sure about the TC1-TC2-TC3 business. As I see it, the routing is:

TC2:
tlv-lhr
TC3:
lhr-hkg-cmb (stop) cmb-hkg-adl (stop) adl-per (stop) per-syd (stop)
TC1:
syd-dfw-eze (stop) eze-dfw-san (stop) san-dfw-mia (stop) mia-lax
TC2:
lax-lhr (stop) lhr-doh

Last edited by anabolism; Mar 29, 18 at 8:39 pm
Old Mar 29, 18, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
tlv-lhr-hkg-cmb (stop) cmb-hkg-adl (stop) adl-per (stop) per-syd (stop) syd-dfw-eze (stop) eze-dfw-san (stop) san-dfw-mia (stop) mia-lax-lhr (stop) lhr-doh
If I wanted to go to South Africa instead of South America, is there a way to work that in at the start or end, or would that violate the rule
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa.

If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa
E.g., if I tried
tlv-lhr-jnb (stop) jnb-lhr-hkg-cmb (stop) cmb-hkg-adl (stop) adl-per (stop) per-syd (stop) syd-dfw-san (stop) san-dfw-mia (stop) mia-lax-lhr (stop) lhr-doh
would that violate the rule?
Old Mar 30, 18, 4:28 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Technically both look good, although in the last one I'd opt for either CX non-stop JNB-HKG or QR via DOH for a much better business class experience. BA business class sucks IMO. I would avoid BA business class at all costs unless you are booking through BA and upgrading to F with Avios.

Now, depending on who is ticketing this you may encounter issues as both include actual 16 flight segments. While that in itself is allowed, what has been overlooked are the following rules, which by anecdotal evidence of BA's interpretation would mean you have 17 segments as they count the Origin (TLV) - Destination (DOH) surface segment as one of the 16 segments.

(c) Travel may originate at any point for which fares are published and must terminate at the same point, except that origin-destination surface segments are permitted as follows:a. within the country of originb. within the Middle East
a. within the country of origin
b. within the Middle Eastc. between the United States and Canada
d. between HKG and China
e. between Malaysia and SIN
f. within Africa
g. between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India

(h) A minimum of 3 and maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments between any 2 airports, are permitted for the entire journey.

Based on your routing and choice of destinations, it appears this is may be geared as a mileage run. Unless you are going to JNB for a specific purpose like to catch a short flight to the bush for a Safari, I would recommend switching from JNB to CPT as it is much nicer and has a lot more to offer IMO. HOWEVER, check what the status on water is in Cape Town as they are experiencing a severe water crisis. My last time there was last year and while it was bad then, hardly noticeable to tourists. I was unaware until I visited friends and they provided me more details,.none of which were provided by the hotel. Needless to say, I changed my whole water usage pattern. You may wish to Google and check the latest news. JNB is very poor, a lot of crime, and many of the newer hotels are in compounds with shops and restaurants; Melrose Arch being an example. I stayed there for a few days and have no desire to go back. The only other place I've been that garners the same categorization is Maputo.
Old Mar 30, 18, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
Now, depending on who is ticketing this you may encounter issues as both include actual 16 flight segments. While that in itself is allowed, what has been overlooked are the following rules, which by anecdotal evidence of BA's interpretation would mean you have 17 segments as they count the Origin (TLV) - Destination (DOH) surface segment as one of the 16 segments.
Ooh, I hadn't considered that.
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
I would recommend switching from JNB to CPT as it is much nicer and has a lot more to offer IMO. HOWEVER, check what the status on water
I agree that CPT is a much nicer place to visit, but I have seen the reports of the severe water crises and since the flights would be booked now for next year, didn't want to commit to going to CPT that far in advance. We'd stay in Sandton.

This is a dual-purpose trip, primarily going to nice places to visit, but also earning a lot of AA EQM/EQD/RDM. The first routing, visiting South America, has more miles and I haven't been to EZE in a few years, but these days I try to avoid long AA-coded flights on RTWs since they earn essentially no EQD/RDM. My last HKG-DFW AA flight earned around $400 EQD. There don't appear to be any OneWorld codeshares on the DFW-EZE-DFW flights.
Old Mar 30, 18, 8:48 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
If I wanted to go to South Africa instead of South America, is there a way to work that in at the start or end, or would that violate the rule

E.g., if I tried
tlv-lhr-jnb (stop) jnb-lhr-hkg-cmb (stop) cmb-hkg-adl (stop) adl-per (stop) per-syd (stop) syd-dfw-san (stop) san-dfw-mia (stop) mia-lax-lhr (stop) lhr-doh
would that violate the rule?
Yes, you can't return to LHR from South Africa before onward travel to Asia.

(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
1. Two permitted in North America.
2. Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa. If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa.
Old Mar 31, 18, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The final surface sector does not require a flight coupon, so it will not contribute to the hard limit of sixteen coupons per ticket booklet. Perhaps AA would issue it if BA will not.
Old Apr 1, 18, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
The final surface sector does not require a flight coupon, so it will not contribute to the hard limit of sixteen coupons per ticket booklet.
Thank you, that's terrific.

Search this Thread