FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tc2-tc3-tc1-tc2?
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:28 am
aaupgrade

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Technically both look good, although in the last one I'd opt for either CX non-stop JNB-HKG or QR via DOH for a much better business class experience. BA business class sucks IMO. I would avoid BA business class at all costs unless you are booking through BA and upgrading to F with Avios.

Now, depending on who is ticketing this you may encounter issues as both include actual 16 flight segments. While that in itself is allowed, what has been overlooked are the following rules, which by anecdotal evidence of BA's interpretation would mean you have 17 segments as they count the Origin (TLV) - Destination (DOH) surface segment as one of the 16 segments.

(c) Travel may originate at any point for which fares are published and must terminate at the same point, except that origin-destination surface segments are permitted as follows:a. within the country of originb. within the Middle East
a. within the country of origin
b. within the Middle Eastc. between the United States and Canada
d. between HKG and China
e. between Malaysia and SIN
f. within Africa
g. between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India

(h) A minimum of 3 and maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments between any 2 airports, are permitted for the entire journey.

Based on your routing and choice of destinations, it appears this is may be geared as a mileage run. Unless you are going to JNB for a specific purpose like to catch a short flight to the bush for a Safari, I would recommend switching from JNB to CPT as it is much nicer and has a lot more to offer IMO. HOWEVER, check what the status on water is in Cape Town as they are experiencing a severe water crisis. My last time there was last year and while it was bad then, hardly noticeable to tourists. I was unaware until I visited friends and they provided me more details,.none of which were provided by the hotel. Needless to say, I changed my whole water usage pattern. You may wish to Google and check the latest news. JNB is very poor, a lot of crime, and many of the newer hotels are in compounds with shops and restaurants; Melrose Arch being an example. I stayed there for a few days and have no desire to go back. The only other place I've been that garners the same categorization is Maputo.