Wiki Posts
Search

Requesting help consolidating my existing OneWorld miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Requesting help consolidating my existing OneWorld miles

Hi,

I've spent the past few days reading up on how to take advantage of freq flyer programmes. The first thing I want to do though is collect all the various trips I've made in the past to see where I currently stand.
For the past few years I've been flying back and forth between Melbourne and London. Here are some of the flights I think should work:
  1. I flew with Qatar back in 2016 is have around 7,300 QMiles under their freq flyer programme. These expire in 2019, and it is unlikely I'll use Qatar before then. Is there any way to rescue these points into OneWorld somehow?
  2. I flew with Malaysia Airlines Dec 2017 and did not provide a freq flyer number. Can I rescue the points lost there?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT!

Unfortunately the simple answer is, "no." While there are - sometimes - some very complicated ways to combine miles/points from separate programs, these are universally lousy value, and impossible in the majority of cases. Going forward, you should pick ONE FF program that allows you to earn and spend miles gained on partner flights rather than having accounts on each of the airlines flown. For example, depending on your fare details, you can earn and spend American Airlines miles when flying on any Oneworld member; the same goes with other Oneworld members' FFPs.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:42 am
Original Poster

So just to be clear, even though both airlines are OneWorld members they will not mix FF miles?

Second question - If I get, say, an AMEX with Avios point rewards, how does that work? I have to book through Avios?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
2. MH might allow you to retro credit miles to either their program or a partner. You're probably very close to the deadline on this, which can depend on whether you already have a FF account in the program.

As answered above, miles normally cannot be combined and the exceptions can be complex and provide little value.

With QR miles expiring soon, you should investigate possibilities and costs of either buying some additional miles from Qatar or transferring in some hotel or credit card points in order to have enough for a cheap award ticket you can use or to buy something like merchandise, duty-free items, or magazine subscriptions.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Huh. You can transfer IN points? Could I do that with, say, points made through an AMEX credit card flight points reward programme?

Thanks for the info btw guys. I am absorbing it as quick as I can. :P
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can transfer IN from some credit cards to some FF programs. You need to check the specific rules and details that affect you.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strich
I've spent the past few days reading up on how to take advantage of freq flyer programmes. The first thing I want to do though is collect all the various trips I've made in the past to see where I currently stand.
For the past few years I've been flying back and forth between Melbourne and London. Here are some of the flights I think should work:
  1. I flew with Qatar back in 2016 is have around 7,300 QMiles under their freq flyer programme. These expire in 2019, and it is unlikely I'll use Qatar before then. Is there any way to rescue these points into OneWorld somehow?
  2. I flew with Malaysia Airlines Dec 2017 and did not provide a freq flyer number. Can I rescue the points lost there?
You should/may be able to retro-claim the MH flight to your QR ff account, if an eligible fare class and within the time limit.
What was the booking class? (It will not be Y)
Where to Credit | Where to Credit Malaysia Airlines Flights

You can use your QR ff points to book award flights on QR, QF, MH, BA. AA and other Oneworld airlines subject to the QR ffp t&c's. Look in the QR forum. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...lege-club-644/

Originally Posted by strich
So just to be clear, even though both airlines are OneWorld members they will not mix FF miles?
No. As above, effectively you cannot mix/move/transfer ff miles from one ffp to another ffp

OP's other post on this topic https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29404575-post1438.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 11, 2018 at 1:40 pm Reason: QF not QR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.