Wiki Posts
Search

AONEx query

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
AONEx query

To my knowledge, there are only very few flights between North America and South America that have first class cabins, namely the few 777w flights on AA (JFK - EZE, JFK - GRU, MIA - EZE, DFW - GRU). I've been following availability on these 4 routes (for travel in January - February 2018) for several months now, and not a single EF alert has come through. I cannot assert that not a single A seat has become available on any of these four routes on a single date in either direction, but that is definitely my impression since I began watching (in late September).

My query is whether others have noted this lack of availability as well.

[I don't recall seeing blackout dates in the xONEx fare rules, or an alert on the OneWorld site that "A" availability is blocked between N. America - S. America (or even a FT sticky up above about this state of affairs), so I assume that I've overlooked a prominent announcement. A link to it would be very much appreciated.]
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
To my knowledge, there are only very few flights between North America and South America that have first class cabins..
May help OW first class routes thread
May not be up to date.
The number of flights with long haul first class is decreasing.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
To my knowledge, there are only very few flights between North America and South America that have first class cabins, namely the few 777w flights on AA (JFK - EZE, JFK - GRU, MIA - EZE, DFW - GRU). I've been following availability on these 4 routes (for travel in January - February 2018) for several months now, and not a single EF alert has come through. I cannot assert that not a single A seat has become available on any of these four routes on a single date in either direction, but that is definitely my impression since I began watching (in late September).

My query is whether others have noted this lack of availability as well.

[I don't recall seeing blackout dates in the xONEx fare rules, or an alert on the OneWorld site that "A" availability is blocked between N. America - S. America (or even a FT sticky up above about this state of affairs), so I assume that I've overlooked a prominent announcement. A link to it would be very much appreciated.]
The problem most likely is that AA uses A for both "cheap" first class and for upgrades to first on 3-class flights. So, you are fighting for space with people using SWUs and miles trying to get into first. I would try calling AA and maybe (depending on status) they might open something up for you. Otherwise, good luck!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:38 am

I noticed that as well since I'm in the middle of an AONE4. The couple of times I asked the AA RTW agents for A class, they had no success with the tariffs department releasing a seat. This was a common problem with flights to Hawaii back when the flights were economy and first. Now they are economy and business (for fare inventory purposes).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I noticed that as well ...

Me too. It's one of the reasons why I don't buy first class anymore.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Me too. It's one of the reasons why I don't buy first class anymore.
That is the reason why I mainly buy Star RTWs now.. But US-South America and Australia-US is also a problem there.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if it is extremely temporary, but the EF alerts for newly available "A" seats have been coming fast and furious. I checked random weeks for a sample route (GRU - JFK) and it seems like the blockade has been dropped. If you're travelling on an AONEx ticket, and want to fly between North - South America, there appears to now be lots of just released availability. Book soon!
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.