Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Change to RTW DONEWC3 rules with the advent of QF 9/10?

Old Dec 23, 17, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Previously one couldn't do a DONEWC3 by flying SA - Aus - UK; it was compulsory to buy a DONEWC4 due to the transit in either Asia or the Middle East.
With QF 9/10 going Perth - London - Perth, one is no longer required to make the physical stop on the way.
Because of the above; can I book as a DONEWC3: JNB - SYD - PER - LHR - JNB?
Old Dec 24, 17, 12:12 am

Programs: QFF
There is no such thing as a "DONEWC3".
The oneworld RTW fare products are oneworld Explorer (xONEn) and Global Explorer (xGLOBnn).

As for the suggestion that coming PER-LHR non stop will allow a 3 continent xONEx via both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, I doubt it.
All QR flights from SWP and the current QF LHR flights already could be considered 3 continent trips. The Middle East is defined as part of Europe by the fare rules. QF1/2/9/10 (until March 24) and all QR flights to AU/NZ bypass Asia. Asia is not "touched" by said flights, but is still counted for ticketing. QR PER-DOH and the coming QF PER-LHR are both considered SWP-Europe non stop flights.
The old AA non stop flights to India were considered transatl and bypassed Europe. Europe was skipped on the trip, yet was still counted for ticketing.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 24, 17, 12:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
The oneworld RTW fare products are oneworld Explorer (xONEn) and Global Explorer (xGLOBnn).

As for the suggestion that coming PER-LHR non stop will allow a 3 continent xONEx via both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, I doubt it.
All QR flights from SWP and the current QF LHR flights already could be considered 3 continent trips. The Middle East is defined as part of Europe by the fare rules. QF1/2/9/10 (until March 24) and all QR flights to AU/NZ bypass Asia. Asia is not "touched" by said flights, but is still counted for ticketing. QR PER-DOH and the coming QF PER-LHR are both considered SWP-Europe non stop flights.
The old AA non stop flights to India were considered transatl and bypassed Europe. Europe was skipped on the trip, yet was still counted for ticketing.
actually, i believe such a fare exists, and whether the OP questions allow it or not is written explicitly in the farerule.
(i am too lazy to read it since i dont find it really valuable myself)B.TRAVEL MUST BE A CIRCLE TRIP VIA FOLLOWING
ROUTING -
1. AFRICA-SWP-ASIA-AFRICA VV
2. AFRICA-ASIA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA VV
3. AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-ASIA-SWP-AFRICA VV
4. SWP-ASIA-AFRICA-SWP VV
5. SWP-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-ASIA-SWP VV
6. ASIA-SWP-AFRICA-ASIA VV
7. ASIA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-ASIA VV
8. ASIA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-SWP-ASIA VV
9. EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-ASIA-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE
EAST VV
10.EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/
MIDDLE EAST VV
Old Dec 24, 17, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
actually, i believe such a fare exists, and whether the OP questions allow it or not is written explicitly in the farerule.
(i am too lazy to read it since i dont find it really valuable myself)B.TRAVEL MUST BE A CIRCLE TRIP VIA FOLLOWING
ROUTING -
1. AFRICA-SWP-ASIA-AFRICA VV
2. AFRICA-ASIA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA VV
3. AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-ASIA-SWP-AFRICA VV
4. SWP-ASIA-AFRICA-SWP VV
5. SWP-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-ASIA-SWP VV
6. ASIA-SWP-AFRICA-ASIA VV
7. ASIA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-ASIA VV
8. ASIA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-SWP-ASIA VV
9. EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-ASIA-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE
EAST VV
10.EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/
MIDDLE EAST VV
Thanks for your reply; I am aware the current rules require a passenger to buy a 4 continent DONEWC ticket due to the stopover but now a stop over no longer exists?
Old Dec 24, 17, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Himeno View Post

There are none so blind as those who do not see:

https://www.oneworld.com/flights/mul...-trip-explorer
Old Dec 24, 17, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
Thanks for your reply; I am aware the current rules require a passenger to buy a 4 continent DONEWC ticket due to the stopover but now a stop over no longer exists?
the current rules say that asia would count even with non stop MEL LHR same thing on a DONEx fare. so.

if and when the rule has changed, u will be assured that people will report it here.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
And I suspect QF would still want the artificial 'stop' to remain.

No different really to the SYD-LHR and MEL-LHR flights that were ticketed as a single flight.
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 29, 17, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The rules require this whether or not there is a stop over.
Old Dec 30, 17, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
And I suspect QF would still want the artificial 'stop' to remain.

No different really to the SYD-LHR and MEL-LHR flights that were ticketed as a single flight.
I appreciate what you say and the airlines would reasonably argue that due to the physical stop they could charge for two flights.
However, the physical stop no longer exists so they need to drop the requirement or adjust their pricing I feel.
Old Dec 30, 17, 12:47 pm

I appreciate what you say and the airlines would reasonably argue that due to the physical stop they could charge for two flights.
However, the physical stop no longer exists so they need to drop the requirement or adjust their pricing I feel.
you can certainly view that the technical stop in Asia is the way they adjust the pricing.
Old Dec 30, 17, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may feel that way, but the OW airlines over the years have not agreed with your feelings. These long transcontinental flights that skip a continent have popped up every few years (remember ORD-DEL) and the OW airlines have relied upon other routing rules to not let you or others exclude a continent for payment purposes.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Correct.

They are not going to let people route SYD-PER-LHR rather than SYD-DXB (soon to be SIN again)-LHR thereby allowing you to say book a DONE4 rather than DONE5 and save thousands.

The flight is by definition an ultra long-haul segment and sells at a premium. The rules will undoubtedly continue to reflect this.

As noted above for the last few years SYD/MEL-DXB-LHR have not stopped in Asia (as DXB is in Europe/MiddleEast) yet they have still been deemed to touch that continent. The only difference is PER-LHR won't stop at all.
Old Jan 6, 18, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It’s not how it works. You aren’t charged by the number of legs.

The physical stop is neither here nor there.
Old Jan 6, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Platinum, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
for the last few years SYD/MEL-DXB-LHR have not stopped in Asia (as DXB is in Europe/MiddleEast) yet they have still been deemed to touch that continent. The only difference is PER-LHR won't stop at all.
Just like the old AA ORD-DEL flight was considered trans-atlantic, which rendered a stop in Europe impossible, while simultaneously obliging the counting of that continent.

Search this Thread