Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Can AA RTW desk book QR as BA codeshare?

Old Oct 3, 17, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver

I follow the RTW discussion here very closely and have not seen this question asked, nor did my search yield the answer. If I missed it, my apologies.

Does anyone know if the AA RTW desk can book a QR flight (LHR-DOH) as a BA codeshare? Or can the ticketing airline only book other airlines' flights as their own codeshares?

Thanks - Bob
Old Oct 3, 17, 5:05 am

Programs: QFF
Any oneworld member can book any oneworld flight (ie, both operated and marketed by a oneworld member), including codeshares, provided the code booked is available in the needed booking class (L, D or A in most cases).

My next DONE3, issued by QF, has QF codes on every sector where such a code was bookable in D and AA codes on both the transpac (operated by JL), transatl (operated by QR) and an intra asia (operated by CX).
Old Oct 3, 17, 11:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Qr wont book qr metal with other codeshare. Persona
eerience.
Old Oct 3, 17, 2:20 pm

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
True, BA will also only book you on the BA code on its own flights, and prefers to use the BA code where it exists on other airline operated flights. Book a flight where there's no BA code though and BA won't mind which code is used.

AA booking a QR flight shouldn't mind booking the BA code if that's your preference. I'm not seeing AA codes on the QR operated flights LHR-DOH, only on the BA operated.
Old Oct 3, 17, 4:51 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
True, BA will also only book you on the BA code on its own flights, and prefers to use the BA code where it exists on other airline operated flights. Book a flight where there's no BA code though and BA won't mind which code is used.

AA booking a QR flight shouldn't mind booking the BA code if that's your preference. I'm not seeing AA codes on the QR operated flights LHR-DOH, only on the BA operated.
There used to be. I assume those were casualities to the ME3 dispute in which AA dropped some codes from QR and EY flights.
Old Oct 3, 17, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
I had an AA code on PHL-DOH with a QR xONEx..... Alas the QF/AA joint venture tussle kept me from getting the QF code on AA SYD-LAX-ORD....

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:30 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
My XONEX contains

MIA-xLHR-DXB-LHR//CDG-DOH

I booked xLHR-DXB as AA coded (BA operated).
However, I couldn't book DXB-LHR as AA coded (BA operated).
(not AA RTW desk)
Old Oct 3, 17, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
Qr wont book qr metal with other codeshare. Persona
eerience.

They can book any oneworld codeshare. This would be a case of the airline not wanting to, just as AA prefers at least 1 over ocean flight to be on an AA code if the AA RTW desk deals with the ticket.

The AA codeshares on QR still exist, they don't go away (due to the US3/ME3 'dispute') until March. I have the AA code on PHL-DOH in early November.

My next trip is full of codeshares...
DAS13: CBR-SYD-HND-ITM-HND-SIN-MEL-CBR. HND-ITM-HND JL (ITM-HND was booked as BA, system allowed it, but was changed to JL during ticket issue) The rest QF code (HND-SIN JL op).
DONE3: NRT-BOS-JFK-LAX-SEA-ORD-DTW-PHL-DOH-BUD-LHR-DXB-LHR-PEK-HKG-SIN-HND
Only 7 sectors are on the prime code (SEA-ORD, DTW-PHL, DOH-BUD, LHR-DXB-LHR, LHR-PEK-HKG) everything else is codeshare.
Old Oct 4, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
My XONEX contains

MIA-xLHR-DXB-LHR//CDG-DOH

I booked xLHR-DXB as AA coded (BA operated).
However, I couldn't book DXB-LHR as AA coded (BA operated).
(not AA RTW desk)
That would be because DXB-LHR isn't in conjunction with an onward AA flight out of LHR and AA don't have the rights for DXB-LHR by itself.

Code:
--- RLR ---
RP/JAXBA080F/
  1  AA6416 Y 04NOV 6 DXBLHR DK1  0225 0625  04NOV  E  0 744 M
     OPERATED BY BA  106
     OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS
     SEE RTSVC - TRAFFIC RESTRICTION EXISTS

>RTSVC
RP/DCAOM3100
 * AMADEUS FLIGHT INFO *
   AA6416  Y  DXBLHR    744 M         0
COMMERCIAL DUPLICATE - OPERATED BY
BRITISH AIRWAYS
AIRCRAFT OWNER BRITISH AIRWAYS
MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
D/ QUALIF INTL ONLINE CONNEX/STOPOVR TRAFFIC ONLY
OPERATIONAL LEG BA 0106
No, the stopover in DXB doesn't qualify.
Old Oct 6, 17, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

True, BA will also only book you on the BA code on its own flights, and prefers to use the BA code where it exists on other airline operated flights.
I thought that was a rumour? Is it an actual policy?

I am regularly using the BA Gold line to book non-BA-numbered BA-metal flights. Usually AA or IB prefixes. Not had any problems yet ....
Old Oct 6, 17, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Ah, 'twas what I understood from some posters who work(ed) in MAN/NCL. Even if it is policy, I'm not surprised that someone will do it anyway…
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 6, 17, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post

I am regularly using the BA Gold line to book non-BA-numbered BA-metal flights. Usually AA or IB prefixes. Not had any problems yet ....
Some years ago, I had FCO-LHR-SIN as part of an LONE4. When I asked to change the FCO-LHR flight, BA changed the QF32 over to the BA code.

Search this Thread