Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2002, 7:29 pm
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
AA Oneworld award rules

I am aware of the following rules of the AA Oneworld multicarrier awards:

1) Unlimited stopovers, limited by mileage
2) Cannot return to original point of origin until the end.
3) Can transit trough a city twice PLUS stopover in a city once.
4) Two Oneworld airlines other than AA must be used.

A few further questions:

a) Is it possible to have a routing that does not return to the original point of origin? (e.g. CDG-xLHR-MCT-LHR-CAI-xLHR-HKG as an award in the <20,000 miles category?)

b) Is backtracking allowed (as in the above routing) or must travel continue in one continuous global direction?

c) How would the mileage be calculated for the above routing given that I will be transitting through LHR? (i.e. <24 hr)
For instance, from CAI-xLHR-HKG, would the CAI-LHR + LHR-HKG mileage be added or will it just be the CAI-HKG direct mileage that counts?

Any help much appreciated
Jed
Old May 5, 2002, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Each ONEWORLD carrier has their own set of rules as well as their own interpretation of the mileage required. Best to check the individual airlines' site.
Old May 5, 2002, 9:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jed:
a) Is it possible to have a routing that does not return to the original point of origin? (e.g. CDG-xLHR-MCT-LHR-CAI-xLHR-HKG as an award in the &lt;20,000 miles category?)</font>
I had two tickets where the origin and the terminal point differed. The last one staring in TYO going to Europe and finishing up in Australia.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">b) Is backtracking allowed (as in the above routing) or must travel continue in one continuous global direction?</font>
AFAIK, direction does not matter.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">c) How would the mileage be calculated for the above routing given that I will be transitting through LHR? (i.e. &lt;24 hr)
For instance, from CAI-xLHR-HKG, would the CAI-LHR + LHR-HKG mileage be added or will it just be the CAI-HKG direct mileage that counts?
</font>
It's CAI-HKG.

I hope these rules have not changed yet. I may have one issued next week, too.
Old May 5, 2002, 10:39 pm

Just made a reservation. All the rules above seem intact.
Old May 7, 2002, 10:12 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Thanks.
These award tickets seem quite a good idea given that there are no obvious premium class bargains around at the moment for OWE tickets.
I particularly like the fact that you do not actually have to go all around the world.
Jed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.