Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rule of thumb when to use OW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2002, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Rule of thumb when to use OW?

Is there a rule of thumb when I should consider using a OW award versus an AA award?

Is award seat availability usually similar?
Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:24 am

1W award availability is usually a lot better and quite often it costs less miles, especially when travelling in front cabins. Carriers like EI and AY have usually a lot of empty award seats ex US.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Can somebody give me an example of actual trips taken on OW awards that could have been non-OW AA awards (i.e. AA/BA)?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2002, 5:05 pm

A good example is the itinerary I flew last year to Zambia. On a straight AA/BA business award to Lusaka via London was 150K FF miles. I did a 20,000 mile itinerary (130K FF miles) and flew BWI-DUB-LHR-LUN-surface-JNB-LHR-MUC-MAD-OPO-MAD-MIA-BUF-DCA with sopovers at DUB, LUN, MUC, OPO, MIA, and BUF. No limits on stopovers and less miles. The OW awards are a good deal, especially if you travel thru Europe as there are many OW carriers to use.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 7:12 am

I agree with Headinclouds. OW award increases the choice of carriers. Quite often AA has no seats for JFK/BOS-LHR but there is an abundance of seats for the same route on EI with a stopover at Shannon.

One of my latest trips was ticketed as BOS-SNN-LHR-HEL-LHR-CDG-BOS. A straight AA flight to LHR was not possible on my chosen dates due to no available award seats.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 7:32 am

Spider, just curious with your recent itinerary where you had stopovers and where you stayed >24 hours?
Old May 3, 2002, 7:43 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vindesante:
Spider, just curious with your recent itinerary where you had stopovers and where you stayed &gt;24 hours?</font>
HEL &gt; 24, LON &lt; 24. After all, HEL is the gateway to the wastness of Russia...
Old May 3, 2002, 9:53 am

How does one actually book a OW award instead of a carrier specific award?
Old May 3, 2002, 10:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by michswiss:
How does one actually book a OW award instead of a carrier specific award?</font>
You call the program whose miles you intend to use and tell them that you want a OW award.
Old May 3, 2002, 3:41 pm

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If you're going to Asia, a OW award is often a better deal. I recently booked a trip BOS-DUB-LHR-BKK-HKG-LAX-BOS (stopping over in DUB and BKK) in J/C for 130,000 miles. A simple BA/AA award ticket from BOS to BKK would have cost 185,000.

As Spider mentioned, EI usually has great availability in J/C from BOS and JFK. Have made 3 award trips to Ireland in this way and have never had a problem getting the dates I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.