Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by slhu82
I am thinking to credit to either AS or AA. If I credit to AS, I can hit MVP50K with around 80k - 100k miles. It is a bit hard to calculate LP I can get for AA since I have 5 segments operated by AA.
Thanks for pointing out I can not do DOH -> PEK. This segment will happen in late 2025. I will see if MLE -> xKUL -> PEK is still available after my date change.

How was you experience for date change for AA? I assume it is unlimited and free of charge?

I saw news today JAL is starting to fly A350-1000 for HND -> DFW every other days from April, but JAL has not released winter schedule yet. I will need to watch out winter schedule closely and check if my first leg will be on A351. Do you know if changing first leg date will also trigger reprice? It will be very existing to try out new product.
HND-DFW should be daily on the A351 well before the time you fly, I think they'll even have LHR running by that time. But just a date / time change to get the A351 if it's not daily yet "shouldn't" be any issue.

Yes, date changes should be unlimited and free of charge, but your change from MLE-xCMB-PEK to MLE-xKUL-PEK isn't only a date change, that's changes to ticketed points and requires a $125 fee. Any other changes to ticketed points should be done at the same time.

If you credit to AA, when I do calculations, I just omit the AA segments entirely and count them as bonus. They'll most likely credit as revenue and be pretty crappy, so you can't rely on them to provide much in terms of LPs. Do you have any AA status already? If starting from zero status, it looks like you'd get somewhere around 75k LPs and miles on that itinerary as is currently, you'd hit Gold roughly around the time of the LAX-DOH flight and Platinum at 75k. Making that change I suggested to MLE-KUL-PEK adds almost 5k LPs and RDMs onto it after status bonus, pretty much guaranteeing you'd hit AA Platinum even with the pittance of a credit you're likely to get from the AA coded segments. (Edit Ignore those, that would assume your entire trip is in one elite year, but it crosses the threshold, resetting in March)

Having said that, if you can get AS 75K then that's OW Emerald, it's really going to depend on what their award chart looks like after the updates.

Just for comparison, you could also get Qatar Gold and about ~84,000 Avios. If crediting to QR you'd be at 472 QPoints, so if you have other premium cabin trips planned it'd be pretty easy to get to 600 for Platinum and OW Emerald. The only reason I mention that is you'd have domestic US lounge access but no free domestic upgrades but you'd still get AA MCE seats free (but not AS Premium Class). It's also worth note because something I hadn't thought about, starting your ticket in January means you'd be crossing the annual cutoff for AA, since the elite year is March to February. I believe AS is January to December, so you're ok there. QR is within 12 months from your first flight.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If before your first flight, on what basis? The fare rules (which you presumably read before purchase) are pretty clear:
After. The thread you're replying to was a conversation about airlines wanting to reprice based on current fares as opposed to original fares after first flight has been flown.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Yes, date changes should be unlimited and free of charge, but your change from MLE-xCMB-PEK to MLE-xKUL-PEK isn't only a date change, that's changes to ticketed points and requires a $125 fee. Any other changes to ticketed points should be done at the same time.

If you credit to AA, when I do calculations, I just omit the AA segments entirely and count them as bonus. They'll most likely credit as revenue and be pretty crappy, so you can't rely on them to provide much in terms of LPs. Do you have any AA status already? If starting from zero status, it looks like you'd get somewhere around 75k LPs and miles on that itinerary as is currently, you'd hit Gold roughly around the time of the LAX-DOH flight and Platinum at 75k. Making that change I suggested to MLE-KUL-PEK adds almost 5k LPs and RDMs onto it after status bonus, pretty much guaranteeing you'd hit AA Platinum even with the pittance of a credit you're likely to get from the AA coded segments. (Edit Ignore those, that would assume your entire trip is in one elite year, but it crosses the threshold, resetting in March)

Having said that, if you can get AS 75K then that's OW Emerald, it's really going to depend on what their award chart looks like after the updates.

Just for comparison, you could also get Qatar Gold and about ~84,000 Avios. If crediting to QR you'd be at 472 QPoints, so if you have other premium cabin trips planned it'd be pretty easy to get to 600 for Platinum and OW Emerald. The only reason I mention that is you'd have domestic US lounge access but no free domestic upgrades but you'd still get AA MCE seats free (but not AS Premium Class). It's also worth note because something I hadn't thought about, starting your ticket in January means you'd be crossing the annual cutoff for AA, since the elite year is March to February. I believe AS is January to December, so you're ok there. QR is within 12 months from your first flight.
Always learnt something new. I thought if I change from MLE -> PVG will consider of ticketed points change. I value AA points and AS points more, so I will probably credit to AA or AS.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: AA PPro
​Here's the language from the first email I received a few minutes after I booked with the AA RTW desk last week: "The price quoted (inclusive of base fare, taxes and carrier charges) is not guaranteed until payment has been made."
I believe the lesson here is that what the ticketing party tells you cannot be relied on. All that really matters is if ticketing completes.

Most people would assume they had met the criteria of that email (payment has been made) when they call and ask to buy, give over a credit card number, see the relevant amount held on their card, are told it is locked in, ask for that to be confirmed with ticketing who also say its locked in.

Moreover I just pushed for actual ticketing on another reservation. It's showing ticketed but AA have still not taken payment (the hold is still there) and yet I think there is no chance that AA will do all of: cancel and rebook and at a price over twice the amount, call to tell me there is no credit card hold that matches the required amount, get told the amount is not as agreed and I do not accept the new amount, charge my card the over x2 amount anyway, then do it again with rtw desk supervisor approval when it bounces, tell me the problem is my card decline when i call to ask what's going on.

Of course if all that matters is if you are ticketed, then things *likely* to mean ticketing will happen will matter to some degree. Calling and "paying" usually works but that wasn't enough this time for me.

Several things differ between the xONEx that ticketed and the one that didn't. I'm unclear which, in combo perhaps, made the difference (vs just luck).

1. The ticket payment hold was in USD in the failed case vs the currency of the reservation in the other.

2. Ticketing was left to AA in the failed case who took two days to start working on it and I believe did so outside the US vs my calling the rtw desk a day after it was sent to ticketing and have them press for ticketing then and there.

3. The failed case was governed by CX and there was a new higher price at the time of ticketing vs the other which was governed by MH who had no filed fare at all at the time of ticketing.

Oh, and may or may not be relevant. The ticketed xONEx receipt is ~$1k less than the amount that was on the resevation. I suspect i'm going to wind up with two transactions on my card, one of the receipt and one for the gap. I've no idea why but it suggests a complexity to ticketing, and varied results from a complex manual process is to be expected.

The basic issue is that complex RTWs are manually ticketed so choices or simple mistakes can happen which mean something that should or at least might ticket... doesn't. Words of promise in an email or on the phone do not count for as much as what the actual ticketing agent does.

Last edited by zoombee; Mar 29, 2024 at 4:38 am Reason: extra note added
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by zoombee
I believe the lesson here is that what the ticketing party tells you cannot be relied on. All that really matters is if ticketing completes.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Ticketing on AA normally can take up to two days, but you can ask for immediate ticketing and wait on hold. Be insistent, maybe tell them that you're concerned about possible price increases. After two days when I still didn't have a ticket number on my DONE3 last week, I called the RTW desk and asked for immediate ticketing. It was ticketed (with a ticket number) while I waited on hold. Remember, it's not ticketed until there's a ticket number.

I've done more than a dozen xONEx tickets over the years, both AONEs and DONEs and never had a hold placed on my credit card. No idea what that's about.

Finally, read carefully the rules and warnings that you'll get by email both when you first book and receive the itinerary by email, and with your ticket. That's what they're there for. From a legal perspective (yes, IAAL) no telephone agent has the authority to alter the published/printed terms and conditions. So if you're told that your fare is locked in, you now know to rely on the printed Ts & Cs, not what you're told on the phone.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:25 am

<snip>
I called the RTW desk and asked for immediate ticketing. It was ticketed (with a ticket number) while I waited on hold. Remember, it's not ticketed until there's a ticket number.

I've done more than a dozen xONEx tickets over the years, both AONEs and DONEs and never had a hold placed on my credit card. No idea what that's about.
<snip>

Were you paying in USD? I now suspect the reason I hit issues was because (it very much seemst that) non-USD base fares held by the AA RTW desk and priced in a non-USD 3rd currency are really painful for AA to ticket which inevitably means things are more prone to go wrong. I think that because:

1. I've just spotted the wierded thing on my full receipt. My taxes is over $100k *negative*. This is to counterbalance the fact that my base far is over $100k. It's set to the EGP number (145k) but in my currency. Carrier-Imposed Fees are normal FWIW. I assume this is related to why my receipt total shows an amount ~$1k less than my reservation amount and I'm ending up with a second charges to my card for the difference.

2. I stayed on the line for the xONEx that did ticket,. Took 45 minutes from when the RTW agent first spoke to ticketing, i.e. after the 20-30 mins they had taken to check everything, take my card details etc. and send it off to ticket in the system. I assume that process is way less than 45 mins in almost all cases.

Those together speak of major pain being overcome with serious bending of the system to make my ticket... ticket. Presumably they did that at least partly as an AA RTW agent was chatting to them about it every 5-10 mins with a customer on hold.

I have some sympathy and more understanding as to why a different ticket agent not in chat with an AA RTW agent with a cusomter on hold and facing the same issues would instead reprice to make the ticket "sane". They may even have not realised that was going to nearly 3x the ticket price. And when it did jump the price then the pains before and that different amount when "fixed" makes it easier to call the earlier price "incorrect". I'm just guessing of course and it's a bit different from what AA told me but it's certainly clear ticketing was very tricky; it's notable there were CX segments on the later xONEx that did ticket so it's not like CX had done something insurmountable which was what AA told me.

That said, I'm not sure any if us will face anything like that again, or is exCAI still filed in EGP?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Most people would assume they had met the criteria of that email (payment has been made) when they call and ask to buy, give over a credit card number, see the relevant amount held on their card, are told it is locked in, ask for that to be confirmed with ticketing who also say its locked in.

Moreover I just pushed for actual ticketing on another reservation. It's showing ticketed but AA have still not taken payment (the hold is still there) and yet I think there is no chance that AA will do all of: cancel and rebook and at a price over twice the amount, call to tell me there is no credit card hold that matches the required amount, get told the amount is not as agreed and I do not accept the new amount, charge my card the over x2 amount anyway, then do it again with rtw desk supervisor approval when it bounces, tell me the problem is my card decline when i call to ask what's going on.

Of course if all that matters is if you are ticketed, then things *likely* to mean ticketing will happen will matter to some degree. Calling and "paying" usually works but that wasn't enough this time for me.

Several things differ between the xONEx that ticketed and the one that didn't. I'm unclear which, in combo perhaps, made the difference (vs just luck).

1. The ticket payment hold was in USD in the failed case vs the currency of the reservation in the other.

2. Ticketing was left to AA in the failed case who took two days to start working on it and I believe did so outside the US vs my calling the rtw desk a day after it was sent to ticketing and have them press for ticketing then and there.

3. The failed case was governed by CX and there was a new higher price at the time of ticketing vs the other which was governed by MH who had no filed fare at all at the time of ticketing.

Oh, and may or may not be relevant. The ticketed xONEx receipt is ~$1k less than the amount that was on the resevation. I suspect i'm going to wind up with two transactions on my card, one of the receipt and one for the gap. I've no idea why but it suggests a complexity to ticketing, and varied results from a complex manual process is to be expected.

The basic issue is that complex RTWs are manually ticketed so choices or simple mistakes can happen which mean something that should or at least might ticket... doesn't. Words of promise in an email or on the phone do not count for as much as what the actual ticketing agent does.
This is seriously giving me a headache to read. It's quite clear, it's ticketed or it's not, there's no grey zone in between.

These aren't normal tickets in any stretch of the imagination. You're not going to AA.com, BA.com, Expedia, etc. and getting instantly ticketed like many people are used to.

It's extremely rare that actual base fares are so volatile and fluctuate so quickly. In the case of a direct booking on AA or another airline, whether on their website or a third party site like Expedia, they pull the appropriate fare bucket inventory when you book it and they typically ticket a few seconds after your payment is confirmed, base fares don't change in that short period of time.

That's not how RTW fares work, and this was a very volatile point in time on the ex-CAI fare. RTWs take hours or even days to ticket / re-ticket. Even on my own, it increased a bit between the day QF quoted me my change fee and when they ticketed it so they had to reverify my authorization with me, but I didn't care it wasn't significant yet. But it was a sign that the base fare increase was imminent.

It sounds like you got yours done on the MH fare basis at the last minute, so congrats on that because not too long ago there were reports that AA was refusing ex-CAI bookings except for EXP and CK members, let alone non-AAdvantage members entirely. So please stop pointing fingers at AA for something they didn't do. You literally got in at the last second of this fare and be grateful if you got something ticketed.

Again it wasn't an AA fare they were issuing the ticket on, they were at the mercy of other OW airlines keeping the fare alive and we all know that AA doesn't have instant ticketing on these, they need approval from the rate desk first. You HAVE to allow 1-2 days leeway on AA ticketed RTWs, and the fare simply disappeared in that amount of time this week. That's simply it, the fare is there at ticketing or it's not... there's no fare hold, there's no credit card hold so you're safe, etc. It's there at the time of ticketing or it's not... end of story. Very very different than normal JFK-ORD fares.
izzik likes this.

Last edited by dvs7310; Mar 29, 2024 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:56 am

It's showing ticketed but AA have still not taken payment (the hold is still there)
The issue of credit card hold and actual charge is an interesting one: I noticed that once my credit card was authorized at the time of sending PNR to ticketing, the hold never changed (even as the PNR was sent back to reservations to apply additional payment methods) until the real charges hit the credit card a day or two later. In other words, one could not see the exact charges until they posted. In addition, e-ticket receipt made no sense and did not reflect real amounts charged; however, one has to trust that since the amounts quoted never changed and all the charges were correct in my case, I would be able to obtain correct refund if one was needed. But overall I think American's ticketing process needs a lot more to be desired.

Finally, let me just say that I fully agree with all the comments earlier that we were all running against the clock to lock in what seemed and indeed was a good deal! Thanks to the flyertalk community we became experts in RTW products and its various rules!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Finally, let me just say that I fully agree with all the comments earlier that we were all running against the clock to lock in what seemed and indeed was a good deal!
Pre-devaluation prices were a great deal, post-devaluation was an absolute bargain! You can almost never even get a roundtrip in business from US to Europe for that amount,
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
This is seriously giving me a headache to read. It's quite clear, it's ticketed or it's not, there's no grey zone in between.
​​​​​Agreed. I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise.

​​​​​​<snip>
​​​​
​Even on my own, it increased a bit between the day QF quoted me my change fee and when they ticketed it so they had to reverify my authorization with me, but I didn't care it wasn't significant yet. But it was a sign that the base fare increase was imminent.
​​​​​​Increased in EGP or in some other currency to match the fluctuations in exchange rate?

<snip>
So please stop pointing fingers at AA for something they didn't do. You literally got in at the last second of this fare and be grateful if you got something ticketed.
I'm sorry you are so disturbed by my sharing my experience and being on a journey that started with me believing what agents told me and ended with me realising that was a mistake and as has been noted several times... The crucial issue is if it's ticketed or not.

BTW can I please have your credit card details? I'd like to charge it for $10k against your permission because if you feel I shouldn't point fingers at AA for that then logically you won't point fingers at me if I did it.

<snip>
That's simply it, the fare is there at ticketing or it's not... there's no fare hold, there's no credit card hold so you're safe, etc. It's there at the time of ticketing or it's not... end of story.
I'm here to learn, help others where I can and hopefully get help and maybe even support. I'm struggling a little to stick purely to that given your... upset at me? And I'm not sure of your full set of reasons to be here so it's with some trepidation I'll note that contray to the apparent conviction in what you just asserted... I had (yep, still have) a hold on my card from AA for both tickets, and the one that ticketed did so days after that MH fare it uses was pulled. It's now clear (here to learn, right) one should not rely on ticketing promises from multiple agents promise it, but to say something never happens right after someone says it just happened to them is a bit.. odd.

I'm happy to DM if you want to resolve something further that's about me. IMHO the thread should only be about what can help
​​

​​​

Last edited by zoombee; Mar 29, 2024 at 12:01 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:08 pm

My amex still shows on hold for 2 days. However when I open my AA app, I still see 2 trips with same record locator. One is showing confirmed and another is showing on hold. I am able to select seats. When I retrieve my ticket from JL or QR,they all show as ticketed.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Could I get your Expert thoughts please

I have 2pax ticketed and paid for Ex-CAI fares departing in Sep with Qantas. CAI-xMAD-xDOH-DPS-xKUL-NRT,HND-CTS-xHKG-PER-SYD-DFW-SEA-DFW-SCL,GRU-DOH (16 sectors with the TYO change and open jaw). Dates up to CTS (Jan) are locked and I'm happy and total route is good. I need to move dates beyond Jan, some of which are available now and some are 330+ out still. As dvs7310 pointed out to me a while back I quickly realised the CTS-xHKG-PER "married" sector was going to be an issue as EF is not even showing this as a route option with OW or CX as far as I can find and so I can't make date changes. The individual sectors, CTS-HKG and HKG-PER with CX and other OW codeshares using CX are there on many days and on same flight numbers but a through fare in D does not show. I've spent innumerable hours on calls to Fiji call centre in the last 7 days trying to change dates etc and as with other been told many times I'll be called back once repriced and they simply don't.

Anyway long story short, I was happy to break the transfer in HKG to a stopover and the agents were able to get me seats on CTS-HKG on JL codeshare and HKG-PER on CX, as well as moving dates for PER-SYD-DFW, but totally unable to reprice and reissue. I suspect as it was occurring over the time the fares were being pulled has had something to do with it and numerous agents kept telling me they had a "not combinable fare" error and another one told me the system said I had 19 Sectors in the booking (I'm sure this was the duplicates).

When I look on the manage my booking on QF it now has all of the following listed as "confirmed"

12 Jan: CTS-xHKG-PER on CX
14 Jan: CTS-HKG on JL
16 Jan: PER-SYD on QF
17 Jan: HKG-PER on CX
20 Jan: SYD-DFW on QF
21 Jan: PER-SYD on QF
23 Jan: SYD-DFW on QF
(bolded are the original dates and I am confident are ticketed).
The non-bold dates are the one's I'd prefer to have (although even they are just placeholders for future date changes).

So, I'm not crazy enough to think that there are 20 confirmed and ticketed sectors in my DONE5 but I'm also conscious that I'm unlikely to get anything changed now until after first sector is flown. So, the question I have is do I:

a) Leave everything untouched and just fly the first sectors, then call Qantas and get them to remove the undesired duplicate sectors, and hopefully get to retain the broken up xHKG transit. But can I be confident that I will be able to fly the first few sectors despite these duplicates being in the booking? I definitely do not want to be stuck in CAI, or

b) Call Qantas and say lets remove all desired changes and revert to the ticketed flights and then call and try fix dates and married segment after the first sector is flown, (or will the proposed changes time out and fall off at a certain point anyway)?

Sorry this is so long winded I just don't understand the behind the scenes process of what goes on with the ticket whilst possible changes are held and would appreciate thoughts/experiences and if anyone has any way to look at the ticket in Amadeus etc let me know.

Cheers
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 2pax ticketed and paid for Ex-CAI fares departing in Sep with Qantas. CAI-xMAD-xDOH-DPS-xKUL-NRT,HND-CTS-xHKG-PER-SYD-DFW-SEA-DFW-SCL,GRU-DOH (16 sectors with the TYO change and open jaw).
<snip>
You also have to count NRT-HND and SCL-GRU.
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Are you wanting to just change dates or routes? Changing transits<---> stopover can be more involved if real govt taxes change.

Do you have an issued 081-xxxx e-ticket from Qantas for a 16 segment *ONE*?
You are playing with fire trying to get QF to change, unless you are QF Plat OWE so get the better Hobart call centre. Are numerous posts on FT and AFF of (in experienced) QF phone agents making errors when rebooking more complex fares. Some of these errors have been terminal.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 29, 2024 at 9:31 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by slhu82
My amex still shows on hold for 2 days. However when I open my AA app, I still see 2 trips with same record locator. One is showing confirmed and another is showing on hold. I am able to select seats. When I retrieve my ticket from JL or QR,they all show as ticketed.
“on hold” isn’t a concept with Amex. You’ll have a pending charge when they authorize it. That’ll either fall off in 72-96 hours, get converted to a confirmed transaction, or stay pending til it falls off AND be followed by a confirmed transaction. The third is the most uncommon but does happen.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:30 am

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You also have to count NRT-HND and SCL-GRU.
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Are you wanting to just change dates or routes? Changing transits<---> stopover can be more involved if real govt taxes change.

Do you have an issued 081-xxxx e-ticket from Qantas for a 16 segment *ONE*?
You are playing with fire trying to get QF to change, unless you are QF Plat OWE so get the better Hobart call centre. Are numerous posts on FT and AFF of (in experienced) QF phone agents making errors when rebooking more complex fares. Some of these errors have been terminal.
Hey Mwenenzi, yes I definitely have a an 081-xxx ticket issued. You're right though on the ground sector I had forgot to count that. So it seems like the online tool and QF have issued a ticket with 17 sectors If the open jaw at end counts as one of the sectors?
I only need date changes not route changes. but as pointed out I'm concerned around being able to change the date of the CTS-xHKG-PER as I am wary that CX wont have through ticket availability. I don't need stopover in HKG I was just trying to add it to circumvent the CX married sectors. I don't even understand how married sectors can exist on a XONEX booking.

If needed I could drop the HND-CTS leg to get me back to 16 sectors but is that considered a reroute?

Last edited by paul4471; Mar 30, 2024 at 1:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.