Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access without card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I have Sapphire status and am doing quite a few flights around the world. Can I enter a Oneworld lounge without the physical card or do most airlines need to see the card? Is it okay to put my frequent flyer number in the ticket and show my status on my phone?

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond

I would think that as long as you are granted lounge access with your status, not having your FF card should not be a problem. They would find you in the system with your ID or boarding pass. I have lounge access w/United and just show my boarding pass.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Yes carry your card just in case

We have Silver status with BA = Sapphire Oneworld

Certainly if the lounge is BA owned and operated they will find you in the system and let you in. The problem is with non BA lounges - especially the independent chains. They have no way to check your status apart from your boarding pass.

I'm sure the same is true for other airlines.

If you want to bring in a guest, your boarding pass is not enough. In Madrid I had to log in on my laptop to demonstrate I really was silver status.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: QFF
I have QF Platinum - Oneworld Emerald and entered lounges in SYD, CBR, MEL, HND, HKG, BOS, DFW, LAX, SFO, ORD, JFK, MIA, CLT, DCA, PHL, DOH, CDG, LHR, HEL, PEK, PVG, SIN and ITM over the last 2 years without being asked for my card.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I bring my physical card as a backup.
serfty likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Only the retarded lounges ask for cards if your status was reflected by the system nowadays. The number of such lounges luckily is falling rapidly, I mean even the Pulkovo lounge (LED,Russia),who I have been figthing with and teaching on oneworld rules for many years has finally stopped asking me for a card and they would even refuse to see my card if offered nowadays.

Some lounges may ask you for the plastic,but are unlikely to challenge you if you tell them you lost it/forgot it e.t.c.

If it is a contract lounge you would normally (but not always) be issued with an invitation by check in.

I lost my card and in the last 5 years I have been asked for the card in CMB (they phoned someone and let me in eventually) and JL at BKK (asked for the card,but not challenged when I said I did not have it).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Usually your frequent flyer number and status level prints out on the boarding pass of most (all) OW airlines, assuming you are using the appropriate number and program on that reservation.
Note that some lounges have capacity control limits and other requirements that may limit access in some circumstances, but the physical card is rarely requested.
Also, many airline web sites allow you to print a paper copy of your card or as a last resort print a screen shot of one of the pages of your account record that shows your current status.
In short, as others have indicated, there are numerous work arounds if you do not have the physical card.
Enjoy the lounges on your trip!!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by rens
Usually your frequent flyer number and status level prints out on the boarding pass of most (all) OW airlines, assuming you are using the appropriate number and program on that reservation.
Is there acually an airline that does not?

AA,AY,AB,BA,CX,IB,JL,RJ,S7,UL,QF,QR definately do.

Have not seen a TAM BP recently,but I am sure they do to.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Haven't been asked for a card as long as my status was on my boarding pass since BA stopped their absurd process of doing so years ago.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Is there acually an airline that does not?

AA,AY,AB,BA,CX,IB,JL,RJ,S7,UL,QF,QR definately do.

Have not seen a TAM BP recently,but I am sure they do to.
TAM does not print the status on the boarding pass, but when they scanned my boarding pass at the lounge entrance in Sao Paulo (without seeing the card) they could see I was Emerald and let me in.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Should not be a problem. Some airlines, like American allows you to add a virtual card to Apple Wallet. It may also depend on the attitude of the lounge dragon whether or not they want a card.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bevan7
Hi

I have Sapphire status and am doing quite a few flights around the world. Can I enter a Oneworld lounge without the physical card or do most airlines need to see the card? Is it okay to put my frequent flyer number in the ticket and show my status on my phone?

Thanks for your help
You should be ok, but is there a problem with simply bringing the card?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You should be ok, but is there a problem with simply bringing the card?
There are scenarios where that is not possible. E.g. travelling when status renews - have old card but new card is mailed to home (which you can't collect due to being away).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Long story but I can't get the physical card. That's why I'm checking here.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Your hesitant with details, but if you are BA Silver the BA app displays your card. Not sure about all the remaining OW airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.