Search

Bangkok Airways adds its network to oneworld's Global Explorer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald

http://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews/

Bangkok Airways is the latest airline to start participating in Global Explorer, the round-the-world fare offered by oneworldŽ member airlines and selected partners outside the global alliance, with effect from tomorrow (Friday 1 May 2015).

It is the first time that Bangkok Airways’ flights have been made available through a round-the-world fare.

Global Explorer, one of the most popular round-the-world fares available globally, offers simple, flexible, and great value travel around-the-world. Prices are based on the cabin class chosen and the total distance travelled. Travellers have up to one year to complete their journey.

Bangkok Airways serves 11 destinations throughout its Thailand home plus a further 13 destinations in neighbouring countries including Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Laos, Malaysia, the Maldives, Myanmar and Singapore.

Besides its attractive network, Bangkok Airways adds to the network covered by Global Explorer one additional country – Laos – and nine new airports: Thailand’s Chiang Rai (CEI), Lampang (LPT), Trat (TDX), Sukhothai (THS), Koh Samui (USM), Udon Thani (UTH) and Utapao (UTP), along with Laos’ Luang Prabang (LPQ) and Vientiane-Watay (VTE).
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:40 am

Here's the full link to the article:
http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...orer/maximized
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Why don't announce PG joins oneworld today??? HAHA
Old May 2, 2015, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lokron1125
Why don't announce PG joins oneworld today??? HAHA
My 2 cents: Bangkok Airways is too small in size. The membership fee may be too much for a small airline like PG when they fact in the benefits VS costs. So unfortunately I doubt PG will join oneworld very soon unless a deal can be reached either: 1>, A proportional cost of membership is agreed or >, PG is bought by a larger oneworld airlines.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by chongcao
My 2 cents: Bangkok Airways is too small in size. The membership fee may be too much for a small airline like PG when they fact in the benefits VS costs. So unfortunately I doubt PG will join oneworld very soon unless a deal can be reached either: 1>, A proportional cost of membership is agreed or >, PG is bought by a larger oneworld airlines.
Agree with everything said here. I don't see anyone acquiring PG in the near future unless the Baht's value is brought down to realistic levels. I also think PG needs to improve their premium cabin before entering any alliance. That said, OW makes the most sense.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by iadp
I also think PG needs to improve their premium cabin before entering any alliance.
But its Y cabin/service is excellent, -- among the best that I've experienced.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I'd be happy if I can earn PG points on any other FFP other than their own!
Old May 4, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'd be happy if I can earn PG points on any other FFP other than their own!
I thought that you could earn them on JL.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I thought that you could earn them on JL.
You can.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/earn/travel/flight/pg.html
Old May 4, 2015, 1:14 pm

Their business cabin and service is fantastic, better than LAM / TAM and AA domestic.
Old May 7, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pappap647
Their business cabin and service is fantastic, better than LAM / TAM and AA domestic.
That's not saying much.

It's is an extremely low hurdle, one that practically all Asian airlines qualify for (heck, the Y-cabin service and food in many Asian airlines is far better than AA's domestic [so-called "first"] business class service).
Old May 7, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Unless PG is putting up a front, this article sums up their feelings towards an alliance membership.

"We are absolutely not going to join them. We're better off staying outside," a senior Bangkok Airways executive said, adding that membership could not justify all those charges and restrictions.
Bangkok Airways: No alliances
Old May 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Unless PG is putting up a front, this article sums up their feelings towards an alliance membership.

Not sure how credible that unnamed source is.

There seems to be a contradiction between the statement that "joining any airline alliance would undermine Bangkok Airway's long-standing strategy of expanding its code-share arrangements with other airlines" and that OW doesn't have such restrictions.

Now the cost of joining the alliance seems like a genuine concern. Not sure what that is. Does anyone know how much it costs to join, and what the annual membership costs are?
Old May 8, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

QR denied joining OW the day before joining OW.

Personally I don't see them joining anytime soon but I don't have any inside information.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Now the cost of joining the alliance seems like a genuine concern.
That seems to be the overriding issue. OW needs a rate for lower tier airlines, so that the cost issue can be mitigated. Maybe something like ST's associate membership.

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Does anyone know how much it costs to join, and what the annual membership costs are?
The costs to join would probably be relative to the size of the airline. The article states that the annual membership runs in the neighborhood of $750k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.