Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Ticket Prices almost Double in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Oneworld Ticket Prices almost Double in Europe

I'm completely confused on the OW ticket prices this December for intra-Europe travel. Trying to fly LHR-TXL-HEL-LHR, and using Orbitz/Travelocity, the ticket prices vs. flying SK/LH/AF in various combo's are almost double.. Driving me crazy!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I'm completely confused on the OW ticket prices this December for intra-Europe travel. Trying to fly LHR-TXL-HEL-LHR, and using Orbitz/Travelocity, the ticket prices vs. flying SK/LH/AF in various combo's are almost double.. Driving me crazy!
I think your title is a bit alarmist. It sounds like you are trying to piece together one-way tickets. The pricing structure (specifically, whether the fare rule requires a return purchase and whether open-jaw counts) varies by airline and route. SK and AB tend to not require a return; AY and LH tend to. It's not a feature of one alliance or another. You are also traveling between oneWorld hubs and presumably looking at nonstops, which often incur a premium.

To illustrate, when I plug in some random December dates for LHR-TXL-HEL-LHR, I get $831 on SK (with a connection in CPH every time) and $931 on AB+S7 (which is way less than double). If I do LHR-TXL-LHR + LHR-HEL-LHR, I get $411 on BA + $340 on AY = $751, which is actually cheaper than the SK one-ways, and is non-stop on 2 of the 3 legs.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
I think your title is a bit alarmist. It sounds like you are trying to piece together one-way tickets. The pricing structure (specifically, whether the fare rule requires a return purchase and whether open-jaw counts) varies by airline and route. SK and AB tend to not require a return; AY and LH tend to. It's not a feature of one alliance or another. You are also traveling between oneWorld hubs and presumably looking at nonstops, which often incur a premium.

To illustrate, when I plug in some random December dates for LHR-TXL-HEL-LHR, I get $831 on SK (with a connection in CPH every time) and $931 on AB+S7 (which is way less than double). If I do LHR-TXL-LHR + LHR-HEL-LHR, I get $411 on BA + $340 on AY = $751, which is actually cheaper than the SK one-ways, and is non-stop on 2 of the 3 legs.
Quite experienced in looking for fares, so not sure I'm being an alarmist Just a note of frustration. I'm trying to fly LHR to TXL in the afternoon of Dec 11th, to HEL on Dec 14th, LHR on Dec 20th. Just running into crazy pricing options. BTW, BA is only 10 pounds more going one way vs. return (price per segment), from LHR to TXL vor example. Tried every combination with open jaws, all together, even flying RT back to LHR to head to HEL RT, nothing works..
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:59 pm

Quite experienced in looking for fares, so not sure I'm being an alarmist
"Oneworld ticket prices almost double in Europe" could be read that "Oneworld have just doubled their ticket prices in Europe", which may cause some people's blood pressure to blip up a notch?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:15 pm

I'm trying to fly LHR to TXL in the afternoon of Dec 11th, to HEL on Dec 14th, LHR on Dec 20th. Just running into crazy pricing options. BTW, BA is only 10 pounds more going one way vs. return (price per segment), from LHR to TXL vor example. Tried every combination with open jaws, all together, even flying RT back to LHR to head to HEL RT, nothing works..
Those dates show $782 on LH/SK and $989 on AB+S7 for a simple LHR-TXL-HEL-LHR search. (LHR-TXL-LHR)+(LHR-HEL-LHR) is $411 on BA + $399 on AY = $810. Are you finding it for $400 total on SK/LH/AF?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
Those dates show $782 on LH/SK and $989 on AB+S7 for a simple LHR-TXL-HEL-LHR search. (LHR-TXL-LHR)+(LHR-HEL-LHR) is $411 on BA + $399 on AY = $810. Are you finding it for $400 total on SK/LH/AF?
As Orbitz likes to say, prices can change at any time..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.