Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld connection protection on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OccasionalUser
Being sent back to AA was not a problem. The problem was that when I went back to AA, QR refused the rebooking by AA. The LHS-DOH was with QR miles.
That too me sounds like AA is not rebooking properly. If you misconnect on a through ticket, the responsible carrier will issue a new ticket for the new flight.

The fact that QR refused the rebooking highly suggests that AA merely book space on the later QR flight without issuing a new ticket for that flight. It appears their expectation is that you will use your original QR ticket to "pay" for this later flight. I think AA executed your rebooking incorrectly.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: FB Silver
That is really interesting piece of information, thanks for sharing jagmeets! ^

I realise the thread is a few days old and the questions asked in the meantime are answered, but when I came across it I remembered a similar scenario, and I have for a long time been wondering about this: How would one likely be treated if one had two seperate tickets not on different, but the same OW airline and missed the connection? Especially if the connection was tight?

To give a precise example, I have been in a situation last year where I decided not to book a tight onward connection on the same airline on a different ticket - coming from New York on BA arriving at LHR on the Friday before Christmas, I required an onward ticket to Hamburg - the next flight, 75 minutes after scheduled arrival, would still have been quite affordable, the one after (with a few hours in between) was about three times as much. I was pressed for time to arrive in Hamburg that evening, so had no choice of changing airports and little choice of other airlines at better prices. (At time of booking the TATL I did not yet know I would ave to fly onwards on the same day.) Not being aware of that un-published policy, I chose to bite the bullet and go for the safe, expensive option. Good thing, because my flight from JFK (one of the last of the day, which don't tend to have good on-time statistics as I only found out afterwards) was delayed by about half an hour and I probably would have missed that connection. So I was wondering what had happened to me had I booked the tight connection - I'm curious now whether anybody has any experience how that would play out when one misses such a very tight connection that can almost be expected to be missed (despite meeting MCT) - any hope for sympathy from BA (or any other non-AA OW airline for that matter) or would they likely just deny the existence of such an internal policy (which, given it is not published, one could not argue with)?

(Also as somebody else has I think asked earlier in this thread, jagmeets, would you mind sharing a copy of the original correspondence, as a screenshot or similar? Might be a better thing to wave at people at the airport rather than just quoting an FT post. )
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Ratatoskr
how that would play out when one misses such a very tight connection that can almost be expected to be missed (despite meeting MCT) - any hope for sympathy from BA
MCT doesn't apply to separate tickets, it is only for single tickets.

In your example given the later flight had higher fares it may well have sold out by the date of travel and a misconnect for the earlier flight could well have stranded you in LHR.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Through-checking your luggage doesn't necessarily connect the check ins together. The baggage tag system is independent of the check in.

A good check-in agent will try to check you in remotely so that the baggage information can be connected to the next check-in, but the bag can be tagged for the flight without that happening. That's when you need to take the baggage receipt to an agent of the subsequent carrier to get the records linked together. (If you do this across PNRs it's a good idea to do this anyway!)

Obviously, for security reasons, the bag will not be loaded if the passenger is not checked in (or if the records are missing); and the bag will be unloaded if the passenger doesn't board.

If the bag is already loaded the airline will have to spend time finding it in the hold so that may persuade them to wait a few extra minutes for you. A bag turning up unexpectedly for loading may also force them to figure out what is going on and who it belongs to.

Either way I think the guy is answering a different question.

You can ask the airline to link your PNRs so that the next agent can see that you did come from another flight that was late. It may also be investigated by the gate staff as the flight closes. But it doesn't guarantee anything.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Through-checking your luggage doesn't necessarily connect the check ins together. The baggage tag system is independent of the check in.

A good check-in agent will try to check you in remotely so that the baggage information can be connected to the next check-in, but the bag can be tagged for the flight without that happening. That's when you need to take the baggage receipt to an agent of the subsequent carrier to get the records linked together. (If you do this across PNRs it's a good idea to do this anyway!)

Obviously, for security reasons, the bag will not be loaded if the passenger is not checked in (or if the records are missing); and the bag will be unloaded if the passenger doesn't board.

If the bag is already loaded the airline will have to spend time finding it in the hold so that may persuade them to wait a few extra minutes for you. A bag turning up unexpectedly for loading may also force them to figure out what is going on and who it belongs to.

Either way I think the guy is answering a different question.

You can ask the airline to link your PNRs so that the next agent can see that you did come from another flight that was late. It may also be investigated by the gate staff as the flight closes. But it doesn't guarantee anything.
That sounds like good and important advice, but I don't quite understand what I should ask of the agent at check-in. Can you "Explain Like I'm 5" and also assume the agent doesn't know the process?

[Kinda unrelated, I thought I read that the rule 'no pax, no bag' had been relaxed over the years.]
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnAx
That sounds like good and important advice, but I don't quite understand what I should ask of the agent at check-in. Can you "Explain Like I'm 5" and also assume the agent doesn't know the process?

[Kinda unrelated, I thought I read that the rule 'no pax, no bag' had been relaxed over the years.]
If you want your bag delivered to the other end? Ask for the bag to be checked through, have a copy of the second reservation to hand to make it easy for the agent. Once you have the baggage receipt (the little sticker thing they put on your ticket or passport), keep that with you and show it to an agent of the next airline, especially if you don't get issued your second boarding pass at the check in time.

The rule has not been relaxed in Europe due this unfortunate incident. I would be surprised if it has been relaxed in the US or in other jurisdictions amenable to strict air safety policy. It's true that sometimes your bag will travel without you, but in general that should not be something the passenger can predict or rely on.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
I really wish that US Airways would follow the same lead. I've bought additional single sector tickets on US to match with US Airways flights within a DONE5 and when I have gone to check in, the agents refused to check my baggage all the way through. For example, the sector in the DONE5 was a US flight PHL-PHX, and then I had purchased a ticket on US Airways for PHX-DEN with a three and a half hour window, but the agents in PHL absolutely refused to allow me to check my bags all the way through, and I had to head landside in PHX to further check my bags through to DEN, almost missing my flight in the process. And this was as a OWE passenger.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am sure some USair agents are not really aware they are now an affiliate of *O and it's ramifications.

This should be moot soon enough when USair no longer operates.

Until then, I will endeavor to steer clear of USair services ...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: QFF
USairways seems to think that xONEx fares are award tickets...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:50 pm

Hi guys, great info in this thread. I have a relatively more complex situation.

I am planning to take a SEA-LAX-HKG-CMB as an AA award. The first segment will be operated by AS. And then a CMB-BLR on UL as a BA award.

Can i possibly convince the AS agent at SEA to through check my bags to BLR ? Or go to the AA desk and ask them to do something ? TIA
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
Well they are new to this
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Well they are new to this
Did they think xRWSTARx fares (star alliance version of xONEx) were awards as well?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by su9062
Hi guys, great info in this thread. I have a relatively more complex situation.

I am planning to take a SEA-LAX-HKG-CMB as an AA award. The first segment will be operated by AS. And then a CMB-BLR on UL as a BA award.

Can i possibly convince the AS agent at SEA to through check my bags to BLR ? Or go to the AA desk and ask them to do something ? TIA
Failing a complete tag through by AS, if you have the time, stop by the CX checkin at LAX. When I had issues with AA tagging (4 segments) to CMB from PHL, CX had no issues finding the bag and retagging. Whether this service depends on cabin and/or status I can't speculate.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Himeno
I really do hope they improve. I'd like to think my early experiences were just teething problems, but I worry that they'll drag AA down to their level. I haven't seen anyone but US Air say "no" more often to very simple requests (free bag allowances that I was entitled to, throughcheck of bags) within oneworld.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by beardoc
I really do hope they improve. I'd like to think my early experiences were just teething problems, but I worry that they'll drag AA down to their level. I haven't seen anyone but US Air say "no" more often to very simple requests (free bag allowances that I was entitled to, throughcheck of bags) within oneworld.
My issue was with my recent DONE3. The ticket was set up with CX Japan. While it was on hold awaiting my new passport arriving (QR wanted all APIS and passport details before they would ticket their flights, so the ticket couldn't go ahead until the passport arrived), the flight number on LAX-IAH changed (AA coded, US operated). The number should have updated when the change was put through. It didn't. So I had to get the flight number sorted out and I wanted to change to the later flight.

When doing changes on oneworld tickets, oneworld says to talk to the carrier of your next flight - regardless of ticketing carrier. So I spoke to AA at JFK.
They said they couldn't do anything, talk to CX.
I contacted CX. They said "we don't operate LAX-IAH. Go talk to AA"
Spoke to AA again at SFO. They said they'd like to make the change, but their systems weren't yet able to change US operated sectors. Talk to US.
When I spoke to US...
They said everything from "not our flight" and "not our ticket" to "can't change award bookings". (I'd like to know how they thought it was a CX issued award booking, when it had a QF FF number)

After being bounced around between CX, AA and US, I finally got the UK CX office to sort it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.