Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

LHR-SYD which First class OW is the best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-SYD which First class OW is the best?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Originally Posted by og
QF (or non stop EK) will work nicely. A relatively short sector to DXB to wine and dine, then a long sleep to SYD should see you comfortably into a SYD morning. The Asian stopover is good in theory, but the short second sector to SYD will leave you short on sleep - this makes the BA & SQ (and to a lesser extent TG and CX) a crappy option.
That only holds true on the way down to SYD. From SYD to LHR, you get much more sleep via SIN than you do via DXB.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON
That only holds true on the way down to SYD. From SYD to LHR, you get much more sleep via SIN than you do via DXB.
Indeed

The best timings for r/t journey are , ime, with EK which offers a lunchtime departure ex London on the way there arriving into Sydney around 10pm and a morning departure ex Sydney arriving into London in the evening

That way end up not being up all day, travelling for 24 hours and then arriving at the start of the day but nicely arriving in time for bed

a month or so ago , I did what I would view as the next best, which was TG morning SYD-BKK, overnight in BKK and then lunchtime to London.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD, SPG Platinum
Thanks for the helpful information everyone. Regarding the timing of my flight, it should be mid 2015, so I am planning way ahead in advance in order to get a miles seat if possible. I haven't tried CX's first and I am dying to actually, but like everyone mentioned, they don't fly F to oz...yet!

JAL seems like a nice option if they decide to send F to oz and continue doing so.

I am leaning towards QF first going out and returning through JAL and CX with the stops... that way I get to try all three F products.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:37 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by hmansouri
Thanks for the helpful information everyone. Regarding the timing of my flight, it should be mid 2015, so I am planning way ahead in advance in order to get a miles seat if possible. I haven't tried CX's first and I am dying to actually, but like everyone mentioned, they don't fly F to oz...yet!

JAL seems like a nice option if they decide to send F to oz and continue doing so.

I am leaning towards QF first going out and returning through JAL and CX with the stops... that way I get to try all three F products.
Are you booking revenue F tickets or trying to get award tickets?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Are you booking revenue F tickets or trying to get award tickets?
considering both really.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The benefit of Qantas is that it provides a 1st class product the whole way on a single aeroplane service , but not as good as CX for example.
I disagree with this statement. I love CX first service, but prefer QF over CX. That said, one's preference as between QF and CX may be cultural as much as anything else: as is consistent with Asian culture, CX service is somewhat obsequious (I don't mean for that word to connote judgment, but I can't think of a better word to describe it); QF, on the other hand, as is more consistent with Australian culture, is less doting and more chummy. Many may prefer the former; I prefer the latter.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Blumie
I disagree with this statement. I love CX first service, but prefer QF over CX. That said, one's preference as between QF and CX may be cultural as much as anything else: as is consistent with Asian culture, CX service is somewhat obsequious (I don't mean for that word to connote judgment, but I can't think of a better word to describe it); QF, on the other hand, as is more consistent with Australian culture, is less doting and more chummy. Many may prefer the former; I prefer the latter.
^ I agree with this statement.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hmansouri
considering both really.
If paying for 1st , I would avoid being blinkered by alliances and just look at products

Originally Posted by Blumie
Well, when I have travelled connecting from CX to QF, the changeover has felt like a complete downgrade. imo QF tries to charge high fares but deliver inferior product.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Well, when I have travelled connecting from CX to QF, the changeover has felt like a complete downgrade. imo QF tries to charge high fares but deliver inferior product.
I have travelled in F on a QF A380 two or three times. Each time it was part of a mixed QF and CX itinerary (AONE3s on each occasion). Each time I preferred QF over CX. I certainly am not trying to say that the conclusion you've reached is wrong, I'm simply pointing out that some (e.g., me and skunker) might find that the differences in service favor QF over CX, while for others (e.g., you) find that the differences in service favor CX over QF. In other words, there's some subjectivity to this analysis.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

It is very interesting to me to see no one is recommending BA's first! While I can't blame most of you, BA's first isn't bad, it is just not as good as some other airlines out there.

Now that QR is flying its A380 to LHR I might do that to Doha and then do QF the rest!

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Since QF does not fly into DOH, your plan will require a positioning flight from DOH to DXB to catch the QF flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.