Wiki Posts
Search

CX 77W or QF 388 in F?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
CX 77W or QF 388 in F?

Trying to get feedback from those who have flown both products recently and can give a good comparison, as both seem to be very popular with FT members and generally considered the top flight options in OW.

Ignoring mileage cost and time, which product would you prefer, a CX 77W from LAX to HKG, or QF 388 from LAX to SYD. Ultimately, I am going to end up in Sydney, either by direct routing (QF) or with a short hop through HKG (CX), connecting in J on a CX redeye in the new Cirrus seat.

Based on what I've read and heard, CX seems to win on service, as there are only 6 pax max per flight and QF seems to win on food, while both products are pretty similar in terms of seat/hard product comfort.

The novelty of flying the 388 in F is tough to ignore, especially for 15 hours. However, I do like caviar and Krug.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by bhamsan01
Trying to get feedback from those who have flown both products recently and can give a good comparison, as both seem to be very popular with FT members and generally considered the top flight options in OW.

Ignoring mileage cost and time, which product would you prefer, a CX 77W from LAX to HKG, or QF 388 from LAX to SYD. Ultimately, I am going to end up in Sydney, either by direct routing (QF) or with a short hop through HKG (CX), connecting in J on a CX redeye in the new Cirrus seat.

Based on what I've read and heard, CX seems to win on service, as there are only 6 pax max per flight and QF seems to win on food, while both products are pretty similar in terms of seat/hard product comfort.

The novelty of flying the 388 in F is tough to ignore, especially for 15 hours. However, I do like caviar and Krug.

Thoughts?
Doesn't QF run a 388 to HKG now? If so you can take CX to HKG and QF from HKG to SYD.

Are you buying the tickets or using miles?

Answered my own question:
Code:
QF 128 0 HKG 02/01/14 7:45 PM SYD 02/02/14 8:10 AM 388 Daily 85% / 12m
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
CX 77W or QF 388 in F?

The qf hard product is much better imho. But yes service is a tad better on cx.

I like to be left alone so would choose qf in a heartbeat but if you like to be pampered perhaps cx could be better.

Forget avout caviar. Its poor sevruga and not worth more than 50 usd
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
Doesn't QF run a 388 to HKG now? If so you can take CX to HKG and QF from HKG to SYD.

Are you buying the tickets or using miles?

Answered my own question:
Code:
QF 128 0 HKG 02/01/14 7:45 PM SYD 02/02/14 8:10 AM 388 Daily 85% / 12m
Ideally I'm taking an 388 from HKG to SYD (making this thread moot, I suppose), but no award availability. Actually, Ideally I'm taking an 388 from SYD/MEL back home to LAX. If that happens, I guess this becomes more of a trip report *fingers crossed*
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHak
The qf hard product is much better imho. But yes service is a tad better on cx.

I like to be left alone so would choose qf in a heartbeat but if you like to be pampered perhaps cx could be better.

Forget avout caviar. Its poor sevruga and not worth more than 50 usd
I always figured he caviar couldn't be that great. You can easily run up a caviar bill that exceeds the cost of a revenue F ticket. I hear the steak sandwich on QF is pretty good. I love to eat, so I'd like to try as much food onboard as I can.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No brainer: I find the 388 a better ride as I am noticeably more productive/refreshed upon landing than the same route on a 777-variant.

I think the significantly quieter cabin, the higher oxygen content (lower pressure altitude) and higher humidity all contribute to make a noticeable difference.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
No brainer: I find the 388 a better ride as I am noticeably more productive/refreshed upon landing than the same route on a 777-variant.

I think the significantly quieter cabin, the higher oxygen content (lower pressure altitude) and higher humidity all contribute to make a noticeable difference.
That's something else I have heard about at length but didn't consider for this trip. I'm fortunate that I can sleep well on planes. For example, I can usually sleep almost an entire transcon in the back of the plane near a screaming child, so long as I have the window seat to lean against and a full charge on the ipod. Mileage running has been fairly easy, but never productive.

If thats the case with the 388, I might just sleep the entire flight and miss everything.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
If you're able to secure QF A380 F seats then I'd go with that since CX F award seats aren't too hard to get compared to QF.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The 777 is a noisy aircraft. I reckon cabin crew will eventually have industrial deafness from working this aircraft. In comparison, the 380 is whisper quiet. Choose accordingly !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.