Wiki Posts
Search

TAM and Lan Colombia to join oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Miles and More
TAM and Lan Colombia to join oneworld

I have an upcoming flight on LAN Colombia however after booking I read on the AAAdvantage site that LAN Colombia is not apart of One World unlike the rest of the LAN group. After calling LAN I was told I would still receive my American Airlines Miles however AA says I will not. Does anyone know if LAN Colombia has become apart of One World and will I receive my miles with American Airlines?

I am 100K Senator on Lufthansa therefore would normally fly Star Alliance however trying to build my One World sense I also fly out of Miami often.

Any information is appreciated!

Last edited by mwboucher; Mar 7, 2013 at 5:13 am
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
TAM to join oneworld

http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=54228
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by mwboucher
I have an upcoming flight on LAN Colombia however after booking I read on the AAAdvantage site that LAN Colombia is not apart of One World unlike the rest of the LAN group. After calling LAN I was told I would still receive my American Airlines Miles however AA says I will not
Others who have tried to do this before will be able to give you an answer based on their personal experience, but I would suggest that seeing as today's press release says that LAN Columbia will be joining OW later in the year (http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...ObjectID=54228) that this is further proof that they are not in at present and thus AA would be quite within their rights to not treat your flights as an OW one!

Though note that it says that they are joining in '4th quarter 2013' so if your flight is not for a few months they may, just may be an OW member by then!

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Mar 7, 2013 at 6:43 am
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Got the news direct by email from OW and its great news, as is the other parts of the announcement (LAN Columbia etc). Losing this lot (especially to *A) would have been a big blow for OW as a network, gaining all these now really does solidify OW and ensure that it remains a viable and attractive (though not perfect of course, and still with holes to fill) global alliance.^
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Got the news direct by email from OW and its great news, as is the other parts of the announcement (LAN Columbia etc). Losing this lot (especially to *A) would have been a big blow for OW as a network, gaining all these now really does solidify OW and ensure that it remains a viable and attractive (though not perfect of course, and still with holes to fill) global alliance.^
All that's left is to get Hainan Airlines or Hong Kong Airlines (part of HNA Group)!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
... Losing this lot (especially to *A) would have been a big blow for OW as a network...
there was never any serious possibility for LAN to defect to *, although I can recall some individuals pretty adamant that even in case of TAM switching they would revert to * after 2 years with LAN in tow. You have to admire the length on which they went to argument this possibility.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Arbeiter2
All that's left is to get Hainan Airlines or Hong Kong Airlines (part of HNA Group)!
Probably if Hainan wants to join they'll have to sell Hong Kong airlines as CX would never approve HU with Hong Kong to join oneworld
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:41 am

For most brazilians it is not a good move. It surely would happen, since Lan bought Tam and is a part of OW.
But we lost so many good companies, specially for Europe, where we have flights of Lufhtansa (Frankfurt/Munich), Swiss (Zurich), Singapore (Barcelona), Tap (many cities in Brazil). Now we are left with Iberia and British...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by geoshina
For most brazilians it is not a good move. It surely would happen, since Lan bought Tam and is a part of OW.
But we lost so many good companies, specially for Europe, where we have flights of Lufhtansa (Frankfurt/Munich), Swiss (Zurich), Singapore (Barcelona), Tap (many cities in Brazil). Now we are left with Iberia and British...
Airberlin, do you mind?

Also geographically speaking Finnair and S7 are European airlines last time I have checked.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mwboucher
I have an upcoming flight on LAN Colombia however after booking I read on the AAAdvantage site that LAN Colombia is not apart of One World unlike the rest of the LAN group. After calling LAN I was told I would still receive my American Airlines Miles however AA says I will not. Does anyone know if LAN Colombia has become apart of One World and will I receive my miles with American Airlines?

I am 100K Senator on Lufthansa therefore would normally fly Star Alliance however trying to build my One World sense I also fly out of Miami often.

Any information is appreciated!
Maybe the mod can move your thread to the aa forum as your question involves the earning of miles with the AAdvantage program. AA currently does not allow credit for lan colombia although this will probably change in the future.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-lan-peru.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lombia-4c.html
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by geoshina
Originally Posted by chongcao
Airberlin, do you mind?

Also geographically speaking Finnair and S7 are European airlines last time I have checked.
AB, AY, and S7 don't fly to Brazil...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:02 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I have merged the two threads regarding Lan Colombia's and TAM's joining Oneworld.

Members are reminded that questions or comments regarding a specific airline's FFP should be directed to that airline's forum.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by dcAA
AB, AY, and S7 don't fly to Brazil...
Passengers can connect with these airlines in Europe after their flight from South America on JJ, LA, AA, BA or IB. That's how an alliance works
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is it clear if JJ is joining as a member or if LAN's membership is being redefined as LATAM? Basically will LATAM have two members the way IAG has BA and IB or will they be one member like the new AA (AA+US)?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Is it clear if JJ is joining as a member or if LAN's membership is being redefined as LATAM? Basically will LATAM have two members the way IAG has BA and IB or will they be one member like the new AA (AA+US)?
Two seperate brands I suppose. Like BA and IB.

AA is different as it will be a complete merger with US brand to be discontinued (as now it seems to be the case)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.