Wiki Posts
Search

Codeshares & AA mileage credit on LAN Colombia / 4C

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Codeshares & AA mileage credit on LAN Colombia / 4C

I flew BOG-CTG-BOG on a LA code share operated by Aires and expected to receive AA mileage credit. When I followed up with AA Customer Service, this is the reply I received:
Thanks for contacting AAdvantage Customer Service. We're sorry you've been kept waiting.

We have received your request for AAdvantage miles for your travel that took place on LAN. I am sorry to disappoint you; however, this trip is not eligible for AAdvantage mileage credit.

Your flight was booked and ticketed on LAN through its codeshare relationship with Aires. Through these relationships, customers have the convenience of booking their travel on one airline to destinations that it does not serve, by traveling on flights operated by the codeshare carrier. Carriers that participate in the AAdvantage program do not necessarily allow their codeshare flights to earn AAdvantage miles; indeed, they designate which of their codeshare flights, operated by which specific carriers, are eligible for AAdvantage mileage accrual and which ones aren't. This information is available from the booking carrier.

In this specific situation, LAN codeshare flights operated by Aires are not eligible for AAdvantage mileage credit. We sincerely regret the misunderstanding. When you make future reservations involving AAdvantage participating airlines, please be sure to check if the travel is eligible for AAdvantage miles. In addition to the general rules for earning AAdvantage miles when you travel on a participating airline, this is especially imperative when you book a codeshare flight, since eligibility could also depend on which operating carrier is involved.

I'm sorry my response couldn't be more positive. We hope to continue the beneficial relationship we have enjoyed thus far. Thank you for your understanding.
I selected the LAN codeshares thinking I would receive AA mileage credit in spite of another carrier having a more convenient schedule.

Lesson learned: I should have read the LAN page on the AA website more carefully.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Unfortunately that's spelled out at: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...rlines/lan.jsp

Note over on the right: oneworld Affiliate Airlines LAN Argentina, LAN Ecuador, LAN Express,LAN Peru. LAN Colombia is currently not part of oneworld. (bolding added)

LAN has begun marketing Aires as LAN Columbia, but they're not part of oneworld yet.

Look on the bright side though, if you weren't elite you only would have missed out on 202 miles in discount economy!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Unfortunately I didn't think to read the qualifiers on the website. Will be in CTG again in September and hope LAN Colombia will be pat of the deal. I recall it took some time for most of the other "LAN" carriers to be eligible for AA mileage credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.