Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

How do I check reward flight availability?

Old Dec 13, 10, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold

Is there any chance that a reward guru could put together a concept of how to check reward flights on partner airlines within 1W without using a telephone.

For example, I would like to check reward availability from LON to KIV and this route is served by Malev. I cannot check this on AA without a phone call. I cannot check this on QF as the route is not listed, without a phone call. I cannot check this on BA as the partner route bit is down (again).

It might not even be possible, because the final part might be a Malev codeshare on Air Moldova metal. This becomes interesting as a marketing ploy for 1W and all the destinations that they count as being available for flights.

I am the world's worst 1W redeemer of miles. I had 3 million expire in the old days and my only recent redemption was 100,000 BA miles for a MAN-LGW single.

One reason for choosing to redeem to KIV is the high ticket price from LON.

I am aware that it might be a complicated matrix but I am sure that someone on the board knows how to do some of it!
Old Dec 13, 10, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Use the QF account you have stopped using!

The only issue with using the QF account is that you can see beyond the Sabre 330 day limit.
Old Dec 13, 10, 3:37 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I have a hearing-impaired friend who I helped book a rather elaborate AA Oneworld award itinerary, all in J (F for US domestic) for him and his wife, to wit:

MIA-xBOS-MAD-ATH-xAMM-BKK-HKG-PVG-xHKG-CMB-SIN-PER-BNE-LAX-xORD-BOS-MIA

Resources deployed in order to see availability, all online:

Expert Flyer for AA segments
Iberia FF program for IB segments
BA Exec. Club for RJ segments
Qantas FF for QF segments
Asiamiles/MPC for CX/KA segments

I couldn't see RJ or CX sectors on the QF site, nor any but their own on the CX, IB or AA sites. But put them all together and I hit 100% - if the flight was shown as available on the other airlines' sites, the AA rep had no trouble booking them on the phone. (She was rather shocked that I could walk her through a 16 segment, 6 carrier itinerary in rapid fire pace - the whole thing took 15 min. on the phone once I had everything lined up.)

ETA: MA flights show up fine on the QF website, unfortunately KIV doesn't. I doubt that Moldavian Airlines is eligible for use with any OW mileage plan, but could be wrong.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 13, 10 at 3:47 pm
Old Dec 13, 10, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I have a hearing-impaired friend who I helped book a rather elaborate AA Oneworld award itinerary, all in J (F for US domestic) for him and his wife, to wit:

MIA-xBOS-MAD-ATH-xAMM-BKK-HKG-PVG-xHKG-CMB-SIN-PER-BNE-LAX-xORD-BOS-MIA

Resources deployed in order to see availability, all online:

Expert Flyer for AA segments
Iberia FF program for IB segments
BA Exec. Club for RJ segments
Qantas FF for QF segments
Asiamiles/MPC for CX/KA segments

I couldn't see RJ or CX sectors on the QF site, nor any but their own on the CX, IB or AA sites. But put them all together and I hit 100% - if the flight was shown as available on the other airlines' sites, the AA rep had no trouble booking them on the phone. (She was rather shocked that I could walk her through a 16 segment, 6 carrier itinerary in rapid fire pace - the whole thing took 15 min. on the phone once I had everything lined up.)
QF has improved dramatically in seeing other segments lately, but I agree that it is still not great. No prizes for guessing why there is a lack of CX availability which mysteriously becomes available when you speak to an agent.

The other option for the OP is his BA account as BA's new online award booking engine is pretty good. BA picked up their act fairly recently and you can now see most OW availability using their tool.
Old Dec 13, 10, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by spotwelder View Post
availability from LON to KIV and this route is served by Malev.
Malev doesn't serve this route. They only code share to KIV. But don't despair, S7 is flying to KIV 1-2 times daily. But to check this award availability you will need to pick up the phone. Or join S7. And you have some experience with them IIRC.
Old Dec 14, 10, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
Use the QF account you have stopped using!

The only issue with using the QF account is that you can see beyond the Sabre 330 day limit.
i've been trying to use the FF tool on the qantas website. I only get Qantas flights, how do I get flights from other airlines like Cathay?
Old Dec 15, 10, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Well the QF site does not have my home airport in the Middle East, or my new home airport in South America.

Used the BA site to check getting to LHR via AMM and of course there is availability to AMM but none to LHR. The ticket to LHR from AMM is more expensive than the ticket including the flight to AMM.

As for KIV, well I know that it is operated by Moldovan on the Saab. Boo hoo, missed the Tu 134 on this route.

Can anyone answer the question about destinations served by oneworld and if these exclude codeshares on non 1W airlines. Is the number claimed including non 1W members. They seem to imply that you can redeem miles to any destination "served".
Old Dec 15, 10, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I find that the best way to check reward seat availability, by far, is the KVS Tool. A small annual donation is required (and I mean small, -- I'm in the top tier, Diamond, for USD$75/year), but it's worth every penny.
Old Dec 15, 10, 11:01 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I find that the best way to check reward seat availability, by far, is the KVS Tool. A small annual donation is required (and I mean small, -- I'm in the top tier, Diamond, for USD$75/year), but it's worth every penny.
Is there any chance that a reward guru could put together a concept of how to check reward flights on partner airlines within 1W without using a telephone.

For example, I would like to check reward availability from LON to KIV and this route is served by Malev. I cannot check this on AA without a phone call. I cannot check this on QF as the route is not listed, without a phone call. I cannot check this on BA as the partner route bit is down (again).
It's easy:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
LON  London Metro UK = LHR LGW STN LTN LCY
IEV  Kiev Metro / Kiev Zhulyany UA = KBP IEV [UKKK]
FRI  01 Apr 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
BA         840     LHR   07:00     KBP   12:15     320      CS+  YS+
BA         882     LHR   09:50     KBP   15:05     320      CS+  YS+
MA         613     LGW   08:55     BUD   12:15     736      CS+  YS+
 -> MA     110     BUD   12:50     KBP   15:25     736
As for KIV, well I know that it is operated by Moldovan on the Saab. Boo hoo, missed the Tu 134 on this route.
They do have seasonal codeshares with Aerosvit, and no, those flights are not eligible for OneWorld award redemptions:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Timetable/NL-BCDF]
Code:
BUD  Budapest Ferihegy HU [LHBP]
MON  03 Jan 2011 - 10 Jan 2011

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
MA/VV      6114    BUD   08:40     KBP   11:25     ER4  0   1-3-56-     01:45      2B       B   03 Jan   21 Mar
MA         110     BUD   12:50     KBP   15:25     EQV  0   1234567     01:35      2B       B   03 Jan   10 Jan
MA/VV      6114    BUD   15:45     KBP   18:30     ER4  0   -2-4--7     01:45      2B       B   23 Nov   22 Mar
MA/VV      6112    BUD   15:45     KBP   18:30     ER4  0   --3-5--     01:45      2B       B   05 Jan   25 Mar
Old Dec 15, 10, 10:58 pm

I've found an easy way to check the QF OW availability as well as BA is to use AwardNexus.com which is free to FT members.
Old Dec 15, 10, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Well the QF site does not have my home airport in the Middle East, or my new home airport in South America.

Used the BA site to check getting to LHR via AMM and of course there is availability to AMM but none to LHR. The ticket to LHR from AMM is more expensive than the ticket including the flight to AMM.

Can anyone answer the question about destinations served by oneworld and if these exclude codeshares on non 1W airlines. Is the number claimed including non 1W members. They seem to imply that you can redeem miles to any destination "served".
The QF engine can actually show a lot more airports when accessed by KVS rather than the QF website.
Also, in general you can't redeem miles on none OW airlines unless your Frequent Flyer Program has some special arrangements. So all those codeshares need to be operated on OW metal.

Originally Posted by KVS View Post
It's easy:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
LON  London Metro UK = LHR LGW STN LTN LCY
FRI  01 Apr 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
BA         840     LHR   07:00     KBP   12:15     320      CS+  YS+
BA         882     LHR   09:50     KBP   15:05     320      CS+  YS+
MA         613     LGW   08:55     BUD   12:15     736      CS+  YS+
 -> MA     110     BUD   12:50     KBP   15:25     736

They do have seasonal codeshares with Aerosvit, and no, those flights are not eligible for OneWorld award redemptions:

Code:
MON  03 Jan 2011 - 10 Jan 2011

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
MA/VV      6114    BUD   08:40     KBP   11:25     ER4  0   1-3-56-     01:45      2B       B   03 Jan   21 Mar
MA         110     BUD   12:50     KBP   15:25     EQV  0   1234567     01:35      2B       B   03 Jan   10 Jan
MA/VV      6114    BUD   15:45     KBP   18:30     ER4  0   -2-4--7     01:45      2B       B   23 Nov   22 Mar
MA/VV      6112    BUD   15:45     KBP   18:30     ER4  0   --3-5--     01:45      2B       B   05 Jan   25 Mar
But the OP doesn't want to go to Kiev, he wants to go to Chisinau. And for that you need to check S7 award availability.
Old Dec 16, 10, 12:01 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
The QF engine can actually show a lot more airports when accessed by KVS rather than the QF website.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
But the OP doesn't want to go to Kiev, he wants to go to Chisinau. And for that you need to check S7 award availability.
Ooops -- wrong city pair. And yes, S7 is the only OW option for the Moldovan capital:

Code:
MOW  Moscow Metro RU = SVO DME VKO BKA
KIV  Chisinau MD [LUKK]
TUE  29 Mar 2011 - 05 Apr 2011

9U         174     DME   10:40     KIV   11:40     320  0   1234567     02:00       -       -   27 Mar   29 Oct
S7         157     DME   14:20     KIV   15:15     319  0   1234567     01:55       -       -   27 Mar   29 Oct
Code:
KIV  Chisinau MD [LUKK]
TUE  29 Mar 2011 - 05 Apr 2011

MA/2M      6124    BUD   13:00     KIV   15:30     S20  0   123456-     01:30      2B       -   28 Mar   28 Oct
2M         124     BUD   13:00     KIV   15:30     S20  0   123456-     01:30      2B       -
MA/2M      6134    BUD   21:45     KIV   00:15 +1  S20  0   ----5-7     01:30      2B       -   27 Mar   03 Apr
2M         134     BUD   21:45     KIV   00:15 +1  S20  0   ----5-7     01:30      2B       -
Old Dec 16, 10, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lopinc1 View Post
I've found an easy way to check the QF OW availability as well as BA is to use AwardNexus.com which is free to FT members.
Will give it a spin. Thanks. ^
Old Dec 17, 10, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Many thanks, just remember there is a difference between wanting to go somewhere and needing to go somewhere too! Moldova usually falls into the need category for the business visitors of their 15,000 foreign visitors last year. The want category might be more appropriately stated as "wanton" with the Italian males visiting the local sex dens.

I am not Italian!

I have a feeling that an S7 redemption using QF miles might not be that efficient given the charge per sector length. Anyway, I cannot book anything without using the phone and have to wait for S7 on that route or buy via Malev

Search this Thread
Search Engine: