Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:44 pm

Quick question about earning mileage:

If I fly Qatar in Economy T, I see that the Aadvantage chart says "Base Miles (elite status qualifying) is 50%". Unlike many on here, I don't care about elite, just how many miles I can redeem towards future flights. Does this mean that I will only get 50% of miles in my Aadvantage account or (hopefully) I will get 100% of miles in my Aadvantage acount, but only 50% are EQMs?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by JAWE
Quick question about earning mileage:

If I fly Qatar in Economy T, I see that the Aadvantage chart says "Base Miles (elite status qualifying) is 50%". Unlike many on here, I don't care about elite, just how many miles I can redeem towards future flights. Does this mean that I will only get 50% of miles in my Aadvantage account or (hopefully) I will get 100% of miles in my Aadvantage acount, but only 50% are EQMs?

Thanks
Sadly, you only get the 50%
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:22 am

Business Check-in counters on CX with AS MVP status

Hello,

I've been a silent reader for a while now and here goes my first post. I apologize if I did not find the answer online or through the search function, I tried my best coming up with suitable keywords...

My question is whether I will be allowed to check in at business class counters on Cathay Pacific (for local Asia flights on CX/Dragonair) with an MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75 status from Alaska Airlines on an economy ticket. I am wondering because they appear to be an affiliate member of OneWorld and redeeming miles is rather easily possible.

Thank you for any help!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:26 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by guidospizza
Hello,

I've been a silent reader for a while now and here goes my first post. I apologize if I did not find the answer online or through the search function, I tried my best coming up with suitable keywords...

My question is whether I will be allowed to check in at business class counters on Cathay Pacific (for local Asia flights on CX/Dragonair) with an MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75 status from Alaska Airlines on an economy ticket. I am wondering because they appear to be an affiliate member of OneWorld and redeeming miles is rather easily possible.

Thank you for any help!
Welcome to FT!

Alaska is not an affiliate member of Oneworld, they just partner with several Oneworld members, which they also do with several Skyteam members. Your AS card probably won't do you any good with CX, but you could phone AS to see if they offer some reciprocal privileges.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:39 pm

Thank you for your answer!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:37 pm

total newbie question

if i buy my international Delta or United flight on a site like Kayak or Travelociy, do i earn airmiles? i've never actually bought tickets from a discounted site before.
thanks
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by jenni4n4
if i buy my international Delta or United flight on a site like Kayak or Travelociy, do i earn airmiles? i've never actually bought tickets from a discounted site before.
thanks
Well, you're asking your question in the wrong forum - this forum is about the oneworld alliance and neither Delta nor United are part of that alliance

However, the general rule is that for mileage earning it doesn't matter from whom you buy your ticket
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Originally Posted by jenni4n4
if I buy my international Delta or United flight on a site like Kayak or Travelociy, do I earn airmiles? I've never actually bought tickets from a discounted site before. thanks
However, the general rule is that for mileage earning it doesn't matter from whom you buy your ticket
However some low priced fares may not earn miles in some ffp's. Depends the booking class. Occasionally consolidators sell fares that do not earn miles. But an on line TA like Kayak or Travelocity should be OK
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
UK passport holder, based in London with frequent travel to the UAE, looking to head to and tour Asia over Christmas / New Year.

Happy to start journey somewhere exotic / historic / recently split, visa permitting...

On the Asian side, definitely want to visit SEL, SIN, HKG and BKK, and if possible one or more of SGN, TPE, PVG (would need to do the transit visa if so), TYO.

Any thoughts / hints for minimising costs? I can do a weekend trip somewhere between now and Christmas to start a ticket...

I'd probably be happy in Y. Lounge access on all three alliances right now, but slight preference for OW (hence posting here).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: Skywards
Thankful to the newbie lounge.

I have about 14,000 miles on SriLankan Flysmiles program, of which 3,500 miles will expire this month. My tier on Flysmiles is blue.

Is it possible to transfer these miles to any other One World alliance member's program or any other way to make use of these miles? Have no plans of immediate travel though.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashwinsid
..I have about 14,000 miles on SriLankan Flysmiles program, of which 3,500 miles will expire this month. My tier on Flysmiles is blue.

Is it possible to transfer these miles to any other One World alliance member's program or any other way to make use of these miles? Have no plans of immediate travel though.
For practical purpose it is not possible to transfer miles from 1 ffp to another ffp. With a very few airline ffp you can uses www.points.com or move via a hotel loyalty program, but the conversion rate is horrendous. Have a look at http://www.flysmiles.com/ to determine if there is a way to spend miles or keep them active
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:41 am

because my itinerary involves 2 carriers in ow, I hope it's ok to post this here (appreciate the no flame rule

I'm trying to figure out who is my MARKETING carrier on my ticket. Here are details:
1. booked with AA miles for a one-way OW award booking.
2. itinerary is KUL>ORD (hkg is a transit > TVC
3. KUL>ORD is all Cathay
4. ORD>TVC is a teeny short flight, AA

since AA issued my ticket, is AA my marketing carrier, or is cathay?

The reason I ask is to mentally prepare for a luggage issue in ORD>TVC (we have a forced overnight stopover in ORD) at the AA counter. I'm afraid they'll fall back on marketing carrier rules (versus most significant carrier) and I'm trying to see just who IS the marketing carrier on this ticket.

Thank you in advance
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:49 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by teamaniston
because my itinerary involves 2 carriers in ow, I hope it's ok to post this here (appreciate the no flame rule

I'm trying to figure out who is my MARKETING carrier on my ticket. Here are details:
3. KUL>ORD is all Cathay

The reason I ask is to mentally prepare for a luggage issue in ORD>TVC (we have a forced overnight stopover in ORD) at the AA counter. I'm afraid they'll fall back on marketing carrier rules (versus most significant carrier) and I'm trying to see just who IS the marketing carrier on this ticket.

Thank you in advance
The flight number shows the marketing carrier. For award tickets this is almost always the same as the operating carrier.

A ticket can have multiple marketing and operating carriers.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:15 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by teamaniston

3. KUL>ORD is all Cathay

Thank you in advance
I don't think it should matter. If it's indeed a forced overnight (i.e. no "legal" onward connections the same day at ORD) the PNR should show it and you should be allowed to recheck your bags at ORD with no fee. You'll probably need to use a human agent at the check-in counter when you do so.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I don't think it should matter. If it's indeed a forced overnight (i.e. no "legal" onward connections the same day at ORD) the PNR should show it and you should be allowed to recheck your bags at ORD with no fee. You'll probably need to use a human agent at the check-in counter when you do so.
Thank you. There is an outbound connection 30 mins after we land in ORD which is no where near enough time for customs clearance and gate change. (Hope that isn't considered "legal")

I appreciate your prompt reply. Oh, my eticket also says cathay baggage rules apply all the way to TvC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.