Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi there,

Which of the OW carriers in J is best known for a combination of its catering and IFE?

I ask because I'm curious to check out CX long-haul J, however I'm not much of a fan of Cantonese/Hokkien cooking, save for a few things.

Then, there's JL, which might actually be my favorite airline wrt FAs, but I've never flown with them outside of Y. I certainly like Japanese food, but am not impressed by their (or NH fwiw) IFE.

LA is a third option, and I have no idea about that airline, besides a quick LIM-CUZ hop. I'd only use them because Chilean seafood is tempting, and I've never been to Chile.

Or, any sleeper hits?

Thanks,
BmB
First-tier international airlines typically offer "international" menu choices to their premium pax so you'll not be forced to eat their native cuisine.

LAN can be a "difficult" carrier to do business with, and I imagine not many people categorize them with CX and JL. But I've personally only flown them domestically and in coach so can't speak to their international catering. Probably as above.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:47 pm

A dumb question about collecting points across AA and BA

Hello - proper newbie question here, I fear!

I am Silver on BA, and am about to do lots more domestic US flying, and have been told AA is best because it belongs to the Oneworld alliance.

My question is how can I attribute/fuse/'collect' the miles from a couple of upcoming AA flights into my BA exec club account, or am I thinking about this wrong?

I have done a bit of reading here and googling, and understand the piece about 'qualifying flights' and so on, but can't figure out the nitty gritty of actually collecting/attributing the miles!

Thank you so much.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mcinnesbrooklyn Welcome to the forum

Both AA & US Airways are part of the OneWorld Alliance, as is BA. Alaska air is also a BA partner, so you can get avois on eligible AS flights in the USA
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights
When you book a AA, AS or US Airways flight just add you BA freq flyer number to the reservation. Its a good idea to keep your boarding pass until the avois post to your BA ff account.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
mcinnesbrooklyn Welcome to the forum

Both AA & US Airways are part of the OneWorld Alliance, as is BA. Alaska air is also a BA partner, so you can get avois on eligible AS flights in the USA
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights
When you book a AA, AS or US Airways flight just add you BA freq flyer number to the reservation. Its a good idea to keep your boarding pass until the avois post to your BA ff account.
As simple as that, thank you Mwenenzi!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:18 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JohnAx
First-tier international airlines typically offer "international" menu choices to their premium pax so you'll not be forced to eat their native cuisine.

LAN can be a "difficult" carrier to do business with, and I imagine not many people categorize them with CX and JL. But I've personally only flown them domestically and in coach so can't speak to their international catering. Probably as above.
Thanks for the reply, JohnAx. Have you flown with CX in J?

I reckoned that they would offer the "international" menu that you mentioned, but consider eating to be a big part of the J (and very rarely F) appeal. If CX had "greasy soup" as a snack instead of something edible, I'd be quite disappointed. (To be fair, I mentioned in another thread a while ago that those types of meals somewhat cheapen the allure of flying up front, at the same time, they are comfort foods too. I haven't generally liked what China/HK-based airlines offer in that respect, but JL would be no problem.)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, SNCF Voyageur
Worth changing FFP?

After a few years of infrequent flights, I recently reached Sapphire for the first time (Silver with BA). However it seems as if I'll be moving to Japan by the end of next year, and so I've been thinking about changing to JMB as I doubt I would fly the required 4 flights on BA metal to maintain status.

If I did this, would I be able to add my new JMB number to future bookings but still use my BA status to enter lounges until it expires?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by MrKaba
After a few years of infrequent flights, I recently reached Sapphire for the first time (Silver with BA). However it seems as if I'll be moving to Japan by the end of next year, and so I've been thinking about changing to JMB as I doubt I would fly the required 4 flights on BA metal to maintain status.

If I did this, would I be able to add my new JMB number to future bookings but still use my BA status to enter lounges until it expires?
If you physically have the card, then yes. Plan B would be the BA mobile app.

Just present the Sapphire card to the lounge dragon receptionist and you should be allowed to enter the lounge (as long as you are travelling on oneworld operated and marketed flight). Somewhere you need the lounge invite given by check-in agent, so better to ask there.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, SNCF Voyageur
Originally Posted by haasha
If you physically have the card, then yes. Plan B would be the BA mobile app.

Just present the Sapphire card to the lounge dragon receptionist and you should be allowed to enter the lounge (as long as you are travelling on oneworld operated and marketed flight). Somewhere you need the lounge invite given by check-in agent, so better to ask there.
Thank you
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Thanks for the reply, JohnAx. Have you flown with CX in J?
We fly Cathay biz on their regional routes, but the meals have been so forgettable I can't offer any help.

If I understand correctly that you want to sample the carrier's cuisine, but within certain limits, I would still expect that you'd have no problems - in biz and first the carrier will surely* board a meal that satisfies their countrymen, and it will be of necessity middle-of-the-road to be as widely acceptable as possible.

*surely = in English, a word that as often as not meaning "I'm not sure, but"
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:51 am

I want to book a flight from LAX - JFK, I have AA miles available for use, I'm trying to figure out if there are any other options to fly that route besides AA? The least amount of AA miles it seems is 25K for that route. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:48 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by aceofcards
I want to book a flight from LAX - JFK, I have AA miles available for use, I'm trying to figure out if there are any other options to fly that route besides AA? The least amount of AA miles it seems is 25K for that route. Any suggestions?
Not really, but you should do some research on the AA board. Questions relating to specific frequent flyer program options/rules should always be directed to that airline's forum.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by aceofcards
AA and US.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:24 am

I recently flew on a Kenya Airways(KQ)-ticketed flight: NBO-JNB-CPT and back.

The NBO-JNB legs were KQ and I got Delta points for those legs. However, the JNB-CPT legs were BA and so I can't get Delta points for them.

I've asked Qatar to credit me for the BA miles since they're a Oneworld member ... but Qatar won't give them to me because KQ sold the ticket. Is that right?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by adamiis111
I recently flew on a Kenya Airways(KQ)-ticketed flight: NBO-JNB-CPT and back.

The NBO-JNB legs were KQ and I got Delta points for those legs. However, the JNB-CPT legs were BA and so I can't get Delta points for them.

I've asked Qatar to credit me for the BA miles since they're a Oneworld member ... but Qatar won't give them to me because KQ sold the ticket. Is that right?
KQ is not QR's partner so it is correct. They have no reason to give you miles for KQ ticketed flights.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by haasha
KQ is not QR's partner so it is correct. They have no reason to give you miles for KQ ticketed flights.
Looks like South African Airways next time - then I can get the miles on Lufthansa. It seems annoying that with NBO-CPT there's no solution to get all the miles using BA/KQ since even though they codeshare, they belong to different alliances, and so one is forced into using SA to get miles for all the segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.