Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by ebynum
So what's the downside here? Obviously, availability is limited. But if there is availability (from what I can see, using a trick from somewhere on here to search AA awards on Iberia using Qantas, there is availability at the time I want), this seems to be a clear win.
I understand that you will spend less $$, but with award tickets you do not earn miles/points or status. If you fly enough that is not an issue (or aren't interested in such) go for it.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ebynum
My wife and I (and our 5-month-old daughter and cat) will be traveling one-way to Spain this fall/winter (moving back).

One way economy tickets start at about $2400. One way business around $5000. R/T economy around $1200. R/T business around $5000. The round trip ticket is less expensive, but would include throwing away the return, with the potential downsides.

So my real question. I can buy (from AA) 103,500 miles for $2242. That's enough for 2 one-way business tickets from US to Europe. At $1121+tax/ticket, that's about the same price as my R/T throwaway, but upgraded to business. And that doesn't include the miles from purchasing, etc.

So what's the downside here? Obviously, availability is limited. But if there is availability (from what I can see, using a trick from somewhere on here to search AA awards on Iberia using Qantas, there is availability at the time I want), this seems to be a clear win.

Thanks.
How much cash will you be charged to have a lap infant in Business Class?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 am

Real newbie

I thought I had posted this yesterday but I cannot find any sign of it. Hi, just discovered this forum. I have 175K points with AA. I would like to plan what would possibly be my last trip as I am 80 in a few days. I would like to fly from Montreal to Chennai in January 2016 stay there 3 weeks, then to Kuala Lumpur and stay there three weeks. Then back to Chennai for another 3 weeks before returning home to Montreal. I would like to do this Business. I tried reading the sticky but must admit that I ended up more confused than before. I am not even certain I can book a routing like this? If I have to continue around the world from KL I think I would like to go to Australia for 3 weeks and then home. Thanks to all the people who will help me.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:31 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by tedster102
I thought I had posted this yesterday but I cannot find any sign of it. Hi, just discovered this forum. I have 175K points with AA. I would like to plan what would possibly be my last trip as I am 80 in a few days. I would like to fly from Montreal to Chennai in January 2016 stay there 3 weeks, then to Kuala Lumpur and stay there three weeks. Then back to Chennai for another 3 weeks before returning home to Montreal. I would like to do this Business. I tried reading the sticky but must admit that I ended up more confused than before. I am not even certain I can book a routing like this? If I have to continue around the world from KL I think I would like to go to Australia for 3 weeks and then home. Thanks to all the people who will help me.
Tedster, I saw your original post - it was in the "moderator" queue but by the time I tried to help it had vanished. Sometimes strange things happen with first posts.

While cross-posting is discouraged at FT, I'm going to suggest you raise this same question in the "newbie" forum on the American Airlines board, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-free-60.html

This is because your question is specific to the use of AA miles, whereas the Oneworld board is focused on issues relating to the Oneworld alliance, its products, and issues involving multiple Oneworld airlines. You need help from people who are more focused on AA's specific program.

Welcome to FT and good luck with your plans!

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:47 am

Thanks for the re-direction. Actually I thought I would post here because I thought it might involve more than one airline associated with AA. I will however follow your advice. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: Qantas
Lounge access question

Hi All,
Have looked through the search results, and can't find a recent case to reference, so here goes: Am travelling with SWMBO (Ruby) and 2 mini colsters (8,9 years old both Ruby) to Europe at the end of the month. As an (QF)Emerald I can get into OW lounges but I am interested to know the various policies and experiences re the kids around the traps.

Syd-DXB-LHR-BCN (OK with Syd and DXB) - Can I get into the T3 Lounges with all three as guests? PE from Syd to LHR, Full whY from LHR-BCN

BCN-MAD-FCO - Unsure as to the IB lounge in BCN. MAD only have 1 hour between arrival and departure, so no biggie. whY class

FCO-ORY - IB ticket on Vuelling - I think I can guess that I will be using priority pass. whY class

CDG-LHR-EDI - Unsure as to OW access in CDG and see 1) above for LHR whY class

LHR-DXB-SYD as with point 1 above. PE class

Thanks for any input :-)

Last edited by Colster; Aug 6, 2015 at 4:46 am
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by Colster
Hi All,
Have looked through the search results, and can't find a recent case to reference, so here goes: Am travelling with SWMBO (Ruby) and 2 mini colsters (8,9 years old both Ruby) to Europe at the end of the month. As an (QF)Emerald I can get into OW lounges but I am interested to know the various policies and experiences re the kids around the traps.

Syd-DXB-LHR-BCN (OK with Syd and DXB) - Can I get into the T3 Lounges with all three as guests? PE from Syd to LHR, Full whY from LHR-BCN

BCN-MAD-FCO - Unsure as to the IB lounge in BCN. MAD only have 1 hour between arrival and departure, so no biggie. whY class

FCO-ORY - IB ticket on Vuelling - I think I can guess that I will be using priority pass. whY class

CDG-LHR-EDI - Unsure as to OW access in CDG and see 1) above for LHR whY class

LHR-DXB-SYD as with point 1 above. PE class

Thanks for any input :-)
Taking your trips in turn, and going by the rules (therefore ignoring the possibility of lounge staff bending the rules):

(1) No, you will be able to enter but only with one guest, as ruby members don't get lounge access as a privilege
(2) Ditto
(3) You are correct, no lounge access on Vueling
(4) As (1) above
(5) Ditto

Of course you can try pleading...

But of course you shouldn't (ahem!) take a guest into one lounge, leave them there, guest another into a second lounge, leave them there and take the last into a third lounge. That would be very naughty
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
done4 ex CAI or IST

Can anyone please help me on this one

Trying to book said fare but apart from turning up at Istanbul or Cairo how do I book it? BA NCL call centre didn't get back to me and can't find a UK travel agent who can do it.

And does anybody have a base price (ie before taxes etc)

Thanks in advance.m
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wyddfa
Can anyone please help me on this one

Trying to book said fare but apart from turning up at Istanbul or Cairo how do I book it? BA NCL call centre didn't get back to me and can't find a UK travel agent who can do it.

And does anybody have a base price (ie before taxes etc)

Thanks in advance.m
From ExpertFlyer
DONE4 ex- Egypt base fare EGP44,000
DONE4 ex-Turkey base fare USD7,685

You can use the tool available on oneworld.com (which is very buggy)
Or a travel agent
Or one of the airlines on your itinerary
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by wyddfa
You'll need to find an agent in Egypt/Turkey who will ticket over the phone or email. If you find an agent in the UK to do it, the rules state you'll be charged at the UK price.

I believe there is a thread somewhere in this forum with contact details for an airline ticketing agent in Egypt.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:22 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Himeno
I believe there is a thread somewhere in this forum with contact details for an airline ticketing agent in Egypt.
Emeco Travel in Cairo is the American Airlines general sales agent (GSA) for Egypt. They've arranged numerous RTW tickets in the past. http://www.emeco.com/pages-25-American_Airlines

[email protected]
Old Aug 15, 2015, 3:57 am

newbie question

Hi,

have just booked a round the world trip via the One World programme. Trip is London Heathrow > San Francisco > Los Angeles > Sydney > Auckland > Christchurch > Sydney > Adelaide > Melbourne > Singapore > Dubai > London Heathrow. Most flights are on Quantas with the exception of one on each of BA, Air Newzealand and Emirates. All are Business class with the exception of the Auckland to Christchurch flight. My question is who am I best to use for a loyalty scheme? We are Skywards Silver members with Emirates and tend to fly at least once a year with Emirates Business class to Dubai and the Indian Ocean. All help appreciated
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Onlymeasking Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Onlymeasking
have just booked a round the world trip via the One World programme. Trip is London Heathrow > San Francisco > Los Angeles > Sydney > Auckland > Christchurch > Sydney > Adelaide > Melbourne > Singapore > Dubai > London Heathrow. Most flights are on Quantas with the exception of one on each of BA, Air Newzealand and Emirates. All are Business class with the exception of the Auckland to Christchurch flight. My question is who am I best to use for a loyalty scheme? We are Skywards Silver members with Emirates and tend to fly at least once a year with Emirates Business class to Dubai and the Indian Ocean. All help appreciated
Ask here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

You say "via the One World programme" Is this a cash ticket?
Are Emirates flights EK or QF flight numbers?
SFO-LAX may/will be on AA (QF coded?)
The Air NZ CHC AKL flight will be ecomony and not worth trying to get ff miles
QF flights earn EK points (but not status)
But BA or AA (or even AS) may be better long term. Do not join the QF ffp

Note no u in Qantas
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Onlymeasking
My question is who am I best to use for a loyalty scheme? We are Skywards Silver members with Emirates and tend to fly at least once a year with Emirates Business class to Dubai and the Indian Ocean. All help appreciated
If your Qantas flights have EK codes, it's probably a slam dunk to put all those towards your EK status and earn in a program you're already in, I'd say.

If not, it really depends on whether earning miles on a program you already use will be better for you than having miles - and potentially status - on a new program.

AS is an interesting home for miles given their partners, but if you're based in the UK, BA miles for hopping around Europe can be very good value.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
GSA for BA in CAI

Originally Posted by Himeno
You'll need to find an agent in Egypt/Turkey who will ticket over the phone or email. If you find an agent in the UK to do it, the rules state you'll be charged at the UK price.

Anybody know who is the general sales agent for BA in Cairo? Can the BA desk in CAI issue a DONE4 tkt?? Any other reliable TAs anybody dealt with ??

Many thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.