Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Private Car Service/Airport Shuttle Recommendation in AKL, CHC, and SYD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver

Hi all,

I will be traveling with a family of 5 to AKL, CHC, and SYD. We probably won't be renting a car, so I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a car or private shuttle service in any/all of these locations.

I've found one for AKL, http://www.supershuttle.co.nz/, which was approximately NZ$86 one-way, which seemed reasonable. However I am more concerned about quality/reliability than getting the cheapest service.

After a JFK-LAX-SYD-AKL trip, the last thing I'll want to do is have to worry about how to get the family to the hotel in AKL! Having never been to any of these cities, any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Troy
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
if you're traveling as a family of five and they charge you by the head, you'll probably find taxis or car hire to come out cheaper.

That said in SYD I have used Sunbus: www.viator.com
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Second that. There are cabs large enough to take 5. It will also be quite a bit quicker than a shuttle service.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thanks for the tips. So taxis in AU/NZ can carry 5 passengers plus 5 large pieces of luggage?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hold out for a "people-mover" one (minivan) at the taxi rank. Taxi fleets are a mix of sedans, estates (station wagons) and people-movers. The first two types will handle three or four people, tops. But at airports and hotels the cab-hassler will work to pair up large groups like yours with the people-mover taxis.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
Hold out for a "people-mover" one (minivan) at the taxi rank.
The people mover ones are called Maxi-Taxis
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:59 am

Programs: QC Life, AA
I use "aria" for transport (usually) to the airport from the northern beaches and they are on par with the cost of a taxi. However, the best part is when you arrive on an Int'l flight they are there waiting for you in the arrivals area so you don't have to line up for a taxi, and after a long international flight that is the last thing you want to do.
http://www.ariacars.com.au/index.html
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
Thanks for the tips. So taxis in AU/NZ can carry 5 passengers plus 5 large pieces of luggage?
You definitely need to book in advance for that in AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.