Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three days: North end of South Island?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Three days: North end of South Island?

As part of a two-week trip to NZ, we arrive in Picton by ferry at 11:35 am on Tuesday, New Year's Day 2008, and leave on the 1 pm train to Christchurch on the 4th, continuing on to Greymouth the next morning and then south to the glaciers. That gives us two half-days and two full days in the area.

We'd like to take a winery tour, spend at least a half day hiking (along the sound? fairly open), get a feel for the crafts, and see any major sights, and ???. We don't have hotel reservations yet (I know, it's getting late) so we're still flexible as to what city/cities we stay in, and will rent a car if there's a reason to. (One of us is fairly experienced with the driving-on-the-left bit.)

What do you suggest for splitting our time among Nelson/Picton/Marlborough, staying in one place versus moving around, things to see/do (two 60-ish fit/active adults), the need for a car, etc.? We've read the FT threads and a few guidebooks, but are looking for something that's (a) a bit more personal and (b) takes our time constraints into account.

(Our bodies will be on NZ time by then. We'll have spent some time on the NI absorbing Maori culture, so that needn't be on the agenda unless there's something unique here.)

Last edited by Efrem; Sep 27, 2007 at 10:21 pm Reason: Fix wrong train destination - thanks, Mwenenzi
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You definitley need a car.

As its peak vacation time Nelson will be booked out 110%. Nelson is a very popular destination that time on the year. Picton does not have much going for it, but its close to Blenheim

I assume your train is to CHC and then Greymouth the next day on the Transalpine. Another option is a car down the west route of Nelson - Lewis Pass - Chc
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'd head to Nelson (by car) - in particular Abel Tasman National Park and Golden Bay (or if prefer mountains to beaches try Nelson Lakes instead). Golden Bay should be slightly less crowded than Abel Tasman, but requires a drive over Takaka Hill.

Definitely book asap (both accommodation and rental car). The whole region can sell out well ahead of time.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Are you a diver, by chance?

If so, you might want to consider a visit to the Mikhail Lermontov.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Are you a diver, by chance?

If so, you might want to consider a visit to the Mikhail Lermontov.
Neither of us is, but I went to the page anyhow. Interesting story! Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There are some superb crafts near Nelson (not in town, so you definitely need a car). Stunning quality (as in world class), with blown glass a particular surprise. Near the entrance to Abel Tasman is a wood carver gallery that has some really unique and spectacular wood (again museum quality, and prices are high but good value for the lofty standards). For some reason this area has attracted artists from all over the world (the great weather and quality of life might have something to do with it). Considerably better crafts at the high end than you will find in AKL, CHC or even Thames.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.