Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Study Abroad in Australia or New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I spent 10 months in Christchurch doing post graduate school.

Its a great place, and the whole of the south island is right there for you to explore!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I love Wellington, but it's a town, not a city. Sydney U (essentially downtown) or UNSW (beaches). Or Melbourne U (relatively laidback city).
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:23 am
Original Poster

i bumbed into someone with my Australian study abroad book in hand and they told me they had a good time and U of Queensland in Brisbane. Could someone please tell me a little bit about the school/area?

I have found the study abroad office to be really unhelpful. They are nice but just don't know anything. FT is much better.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 2:12 am

I'm a Brisbanite and did my Masters at UQ. Did my bachelor at QUT.

What do you want to know about Brisbane / St Lucia in Particular? There seems to be a lot of US students at UQ vs the other Brisbane unis. Lots of things to do in and around Brisbane, and plenty of students around St Lucia area. Plenty of accomodation options around too, especially with the new Eleanor Schonell Bridge.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by futaris
I'm a Brisbanite and did my Masters at UQ. Did my bachelor at QUT.

What do you want to know about Brisbane / St Lucia in Particular? There seems to be a lot of US students at UQ vs the other Brisbane unis. Lots of things to do in and around Brisbane, and plenty of students around St Lucia area. Plenty of accomodation options around too, especially with the new Eleanor Schonell Bridge.
What the area is like, what do people do with their free time/weekends? How is the school?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I preface my comments by saying that I live in Canberra and am slightly biased towards the city as I find it and ANU to be right for my needs. i have attempted to be as objective as possible below.

Just thought I would weigh in here. I am currently doing my university application and am seriously considering POLS as a major. Considering the schools (ANU in Canberra, UNSW and USYD is Sydney and Melbourne Uni), I would say that there are serious pros and cons with each. ANU and Canberra is smaller than Sydney, which means that the entertainment scene is smaller (though still pretty good). The student population on campus is relatively small and classes are smaller than the other unis. I and many others consider the research focus of ANU to be beneficial to students who are in later years. I assume you are 3rd or 4th year, if so then ANU will have a lange number of opportunities available due to the number of political and governmental institutions in Canberra. The Sydney universities are both very ood. While ou will be in larger classes and lectures the quality of education is still considered to be of reasonable quality even if you have less access to researchers. That said, the opportunity to have a great student life is much larger in Sydney. Sydney has more nightspots and the larger population that allows for more entertainment options. It is also closer to the beach if that is your thing Canberra on the other hand is a 3-hour drive from the coast. Accomodation costs in Sydney and Canberra will be similar though central/near-central Sydney will probably run a little higher. Melbourne is also a good school. They have a reputation as a quality school though I know a little less about them. melbourne as a city is known by most outside of Sydney (because Sydney always thinks it is the best) as the cultural capital of Australia and as the food capital of Australia. I would vote Melbourne as being more liveable than Sydney though Sydney may be better for an exchange student.

I'll just give my picks in a few categories which might help you to see the strenths of various options. Note that I have separated Culture and Entertainment.

Quality of Teaching: ANU
Educational opportunities: ANU
Entertainment in City: Sydney (Either USyd or UNSW)
Culture: Melbourne
General Liveability: Melbourne
Student Life: Sydney
Overall: Sydney @ USyd

Good luck with your decisions.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

I am down to unsw or HKU (Hong Kong). With a 3.0 I was told that my shot at getting into ANU and USyd where a long shot.

At this point I need to decide which country I would rather be in. I think I am leaning toward Australia.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Since classes don't start until early march I am thinking about going out a few weeks early and backpacking around. Can anyone recomend a a few destinations?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:32 am

Get yourself either a Rex air backpacker pass, Greyhound Bus pass or Countrylink railpass and do the entire Eastern Coast.

Kangaroo Island and King Island are a few places where the Rex airpasses will really shine. And of course there are all the standard backpacking places e.g. Fraser Island, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by futaris
Get yourself either a Rex air backpacker pass, Greyhound Bus pass or Countrylink railpass and do the entire Eastern Coast.

Kangaroo Island and King Island are a few places where the Rex airpasses will really shine. And of course there are all the standard backpacking places e.g. Fraser Island, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, etc.

I was looking at the rex pass at it states that the pass is "Subject to "W" class availability." How high a fare class is W? Will tickets be hard to book?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

I have been doing some research and it sounds like the Backpacker rail pass is the way to go. I found a site (http://www.railpass.com/new/passes/p..._rail_pass.asp that will sell a 6 month pass for 290USD. It is only $125 more than the 14 day pass. I figure for a little more I might as well get a pass that is good the entire time I am there.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I was looking at the rex pass at it states that the pass is "Subject to "W" class availability." How high a fare class is W? Will tickets be hard to book?
I think it's the same class as the frequent flyer redemptions. Maybe someone on frequentflyer.com.au or this thread here will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.