Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji travel warning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:52 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Well I have returned from Fiji.Many of my Fijian friends are doing it tough.Hotel and restaurant staff have had their hours cut back and are now facing pay cuts as well.On top of this the Fijian entry card now asks if you are bringing in used clothing for Fijian residents or charity.Seeing I list my wine as fermented fruit juice not alcohol i did not find it hard to answer the question.
Although I was not going to talk about the coup many Fijians did.Those of ethnic Indian origin were in favour of the coup.Most fijians said nothing but a significant number expressed opposition.This was especially so after the Commodore attended a meeting of the Council of cheifs that was to select a new Vice-President.Many thought it was most disrespectful.
I am afraid another coup will occur though it may be years away.The Indians may be the merchants and control the economy but the Fijians are the warriors.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
drron, I was a little distressed by the latest turn in the past few days, with the anti-Australia overtones and rumours of recent mutiny plots from the past year.

If we hadn't picked up the great JQ first-day HNL fares we would already have spent some quality time in Fiji.

While things are down now, it is such a good place and great people that things are sure to improve.

Did anyone mention the totally mad, disgusting but sick/funny (for us!) story of the drunk soldier who urinated on his Japanese seatmate?
That's the most bizarre travel story I've heard this year!
I thought Fijians could hold their drink- apparently not all!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:55 am

Although some interim government spokesman were blaming the Ausralian and NZ governments for various problems there was no discernible anti-australian feelings whereever I went.As usual it was business as usual for tourists post coup.
Unfortunately the Commodore has now sacked the Great Council Of Cheifs and one of the Council was taken to the barracks for questioning.This is not going to go down well with a lot of ethnic Fijians.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:46 pm

Is it safe for tourists to go to Suva?

Those of you in Fiji, have things quieted down at all? I have been to Fiji a few times, and my favorite parts of the trips were going to Suva and the villages. I am not much of a resort person.

Now I am hoping to come back in June with a friend. I would like to take her to Suva and some of the other places I went last time I was in FJ in '98.
Is it safe these days for foreigners to wander around? Or are we best off staying out in the Mamanucas or Yasawas, away from all the politics?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Updated Aussie travel warning, reported in today's SMH... probably not applicable to tourist areas though, warning of recent health alerts:
Three dead, scores ill in Fiji disease outbreak

...Australia yesterday expanded its warnings about travel to post-coup Fiji to cover outbreaks of typhoid and mumps.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade says its overall message remains: "Exercise a high degree of caution when travelling in Fiji due to the volatile political and security situation following the military coup of December 5.

"The security situation remains uncertain and reactions to the coup could lead to violent clashes."

But the advisory now also adds: "An outbreak of typhoid has been reported in Fiji, affecting the areas around Natewa Bay and Buca Bay on Fiji's northern island of Vanua Levu.

"An outbreak of mumps has been reported in Fiji affecting a number of areas in Viti Levu and Vanua Levu (the two main islands of Fiji), and possibly other neighbouring islands," it says.

Samuela said it was possible Cyclone Cliff, which tore through Vanua Levu on April 4 and affected water supplies, had worsened the situation.

He said carriers of typhoid were people who had completely recovered from the illness, but could spread infection for the rest of their lives if their urine or faeces contaminated food.

But he expressed surprise the Australian government had warned against an outbreak of mumps.

Samuela said people in Fiji were not vaccinated against mumps because of the cost of the inoculations, but there had been no jump in reported cases.

Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:08 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I just flew back to Auckland frm Nadi today all was normal same as the last time i was in fiji in 2001 and 2005. Basicly you couldnt tell that there was a coup realy.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:27 pm

everything in Nadi was normal.The only thing I noticed that was different was that the Fijian army were doing their calisthenics on denarau.After the last 3 coups and in normal times the army were not seen on Denarau.
I did not go to Suva but if there were to be any trouble thats where it would be.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 3:31 pm

This is certainly not going to help Fiji tourism.As reported before there are a lot of Fijians very upset with the Commodore.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/blog...019347535.html
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:19 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
You're still in more danger of being shot on an average day in Sydney or Melbourne, than in Suva or Nadi during a coup.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:50 am

[QUOTE=shillard;7953159]You're still in more danger of being shot on an average day in Sydney or Melbourne, than in Suva or Nadi during a coup.[/QUOTEI have been in Fiji just after every coup.This one felt different.But I agree with you and enjoy your blog.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
"State of emergency" in Fiji extended yet again

Bula! For the average visitor, be it Australian, American or Antarctican , it's pretty safe. But, some have been detained for short periods of time, and it is possible to get into nasty situations if angry crowds gather - and moreso if they are intoxicated in any of several ways.

In the meantime, things are not getting much better in terms of civil liberties: ex-PM Laiesenia Qarase, deposed in December's coup, has returned to Fiji after eight months of living in exile.

Commodore and self-appointed President Voreqe Bainimarama and his military coup leaders have extended the "Public Emergency Regulation" (state of emergency) yet another thirty days, presumably due to Mr. Qarase's return. The "Public Emergency Regulation" and "Public Order Act" authorise the authorities to detain people without charges. This move could cause further demonstrations and unrest in response, particularly in Suva, the capital; one such peaceful gathering of a few people with Fijian flags was broken up and people detained for "unlawful assembly."

The allows detention for such acts as:

The "Public Emergency Regulation", which came into effect at midday September 7, forbids, among other things:
  • Public gatherings without prior approval from the Commissioner of Police;
  • Intimidation, acts of threats of violence or any other disorderly behaviour, and
  • Any action that will hinder public safety.

The arresting authority has the right to determine which acts by a person fall into those rubrics.

There seem to be no indications at present as to when there might be some kind of democratic election allowing Fiji to return to being a democratic nation.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
State of emergency to be lifted in a few hours

Bula! According to the BBC, the state of emergency will be lifted in hours... though this certainly doesn't mean a return to Democracy in the next few days, it's good news.

"A military spokesman said that the measures would end on Saturday (October 6, 2007) because there was no threat to the nation...

The state of emergency has worried the international community and drawn strong criticism from Fiji's major aid donors.

'No threat'

Military spokesman Lt-Col Mosese Tikoitoga said that there was no need to prolong the measures, which allowed the government to restrict public protests and detain people without charge."

Link to full BBC article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.