Wiki Posts
Search

1 or 2 day trip from Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
1 or 2 day trip from Auckland

I will be doing a business trip this Nov/Dec/Jan to New Zealand, it's my first time to the South Pacific.
On my return I will probably have 3 - 4 days in Auckland and I am wondering if it's worth it flying to a more"countryside" place for a couple of days, one night, as I really love nature and peaceful places and didn't really want to stay in the city the whole time, rather take time to relax.
I am thinking to either fly or is there something reachable by car, even if it is 3 -4 hours drive.
Any recommendation? Really appreciate any experience or advice.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:37 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You might want to consider Rotorua or the Tongariro/Taupo regions which are 3.5 and 4 hours respectively by car. The following LINK might give you an idea if interested. I've been to both and enjoyed greatly.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Bay of Islands might be perfect for you. Its a short bus ride away, relatively pretty (for the North Island, anyway), and--if you can avoid the tourists---relatively peaceful.

Its hard to tell from your post and title, but how long do you have to spare? If its 1 day, I'd do the Bay of Islands. If you have longer (say, 2 or 3 days), maybe you could look into Rotorua or Taupo (both on the North Island), or even Napier (far east coast of North Island). Pretty good bus service to all of these places.

I'm not sure I'd recommend going anywhere on the South Island unless you have more than 5 days, even if you are willing to fly there and back.
I will arrive on a Friday early afternoon and leave on a Monday afternoon, it will give me 2 full days but I don't want to spend to much time in Auckland and don't mind renting a car. I have driven all over the U.K. and don't mind driving on the "wrong" side of the road.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Another vote for Rotorua & Taupo. If I understand your other post it will be in January. Bay of Islands are nice but likely to be busier. One thing I'd check is exactly which weekend - on long weekends (January has a couple) the roads out of Auckland are horrendous the Friday afternoon.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Another vote for Rotorua & Taupo. If I understand your other post it will be in January. Bay of Islands are nice but likely to be busier. One thing I'd check is exactly which weekend - on long weekends (January has a couple) the roads out of Auckland are horrendous the Friday afternoon.
I am arriving on the 12th of January and will be leaving on the 15th afternoon.
I decided to instead of flying straight back to BKK to spend a few days in New Zealand, no need to worry about the 2 hour transit you saw in the other thread.
I did check a couple of websites about driving on the North Island, it looks like everything is very close by and I am used to driving 3-4 hours.
How is the cosatal road and the east side of the North Island; Gisborne, Wairoa, Napler?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
12-15th January avoids the long weekends. Traffic may still be busy though since that is when a lot of families return home ahead of the start of the school year.

Distances in NZ are relatively small, however it can take longer to get anywhere than you expect. With the exception of near the main cities there are no motorways. Most roads are one lane in each direction and can be windy and hilly.

To drive from Auckland to Gisborne/Hawkes Bay you are looking at the best part of a day each way. The forum sticky, NZ master thread, contains links to the automobile association's driving times. I'd add a bit to those since they don't allow for stops to see stuff along the way (or break for lunch), and also don't allow for possible heavy traffic (well, heavy by NZ standards).
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:17 pm

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
...How is the cosatal road and the east side of the North Island; Gisborne, Wairoa, Napler?
I found it to be awesome ^ (check out posts 3 and 4 of my N.Z. trip report with photos ).

If you go there, however, you probably want to fly into one and out of the otherdriving between them, as just getting there will otherwise suck up a lot of time.

Another option (which I'm surprised nobody offered), it to just take the ferry to Waiheke Island...

...perhaps you could tell us what you're interested in?

Last edited by WindFlyer; Sep 20, 2006 at 2:23 pm Reason: to add 'photos'
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
I found it to be awesome ^ (check out posts 3 and 4 of my N.Z. trip report with photos ).

If you go there, however, you probably want to fly into one and out of the otherdriving between them, as just getting there will otherwise suck up a lot of time.

Another option (which I'm surprised nobody offered), it to just take the ferry to Waiheke Island...

...perhaps you could tell us what you're interested in?
Thank you WindFlyer. Very nice pictures. You asked what I am interested in, looking at your pictures..that is pretty much what I am interested in. Beautiful scenery, little towns along the coastal road, peaceful places by the ocean or the mountains.
I mentioned in another thread that this whole trip to the South Pacific is a business trip and these 3 -4 days I have in NZ I want to use to relax and prepare myself for flying back home.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
...pretty much what I am interested in. Beautiful scenery, little towns along the coastal road, peaceful places by the ocean or the mountains...
In that case, travelling between Gisborne and Napier should not disappoint you ^

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.