Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Views of Sydney Harbour/Opera House

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Hotel Views of Sydney Harbour/Opera House

I'm planning a OW rtw trip which will include Sydney in it. By the time we get there, it will probably be around early to mid November. On planning which hotel to book, we need one which either has a view of sydney harbour or is within 5 minutes of circular quay. Hotels we've considered so far have included Westin Sydney, Sheraton on the Park and the Intercontinental Sydney. We've stayed at the Marriott Sydney Harbour before so we would like a change of scenery and we find the Park Hyatt to be too expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BT87
Old May 20, 2005, 8:39 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I'd say you could walk from the Westin in about 10 minutes and the SOTP in about 15. You could take the train from either and be there in1 or 2 stops (max) or about 5 minutes.
Old May 20, 2005, 9:10 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Not sure if you're after the best choice from the hotels listed or other suggestions. Another possibility is the Shangri-La Hotel, some of the best views and almost on Circular Quay. Just walk out the back entrance, then down some stairs and you are there. Awesome views as well.
Old May 21, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: UA/Plat, AS MPV
Originally Posted by chad75
Not sure if you're after the best choice from the hotels listed or other suggestions. Another possibility is the Shangri-La Hotel, some of the best views and almost on Circular Quay. Just walk out the back entrance, then down some stairs and you are there. Awesome views as well.
You are really spoilt for choice given those criteria!

- Four Seasons is also next to Shang

The Rocks would be another area worth considering
- e.g. Old Sydney Holiday Inn
- Observatory Hotel (best day spa apparently)

Surf around, there are some great non-chain hotels/apartments in that area.
Old May 23, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
The Park Hyatt or the Four Seasons really have the best views of all hotels. I've stayed at the Sheraton on the Park & I don't remember harbour views. Also, I've stayed at the I-C & although the location is great, I don't remember that spectacular of views from standard rooms.
Old May 23, 2005, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at the Intercontinental 3-4 times. Ask for a Harbor view room. It's just a few blocks down to Circular Quay. The building is also interesting -- it's the old Treasury Building.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:54 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
My vote goes to...

Park Hyatt
Shangri-La
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Westin is the best choice if a harbour view is not essential (its other features more than make up for the lack of a view). The Observatory is the best hotel in Australia and maybe in the southern hemisphere, but if the PH is too expensive for you then it is not a good choice (will cost quite a bit more than the PH). W in Wooloomooloo bay is worth considering, has a different view of the harbour (quite nice, marina perspective) and an extremely well connected concierge. Location is a nice walk from CBD which might be too far for you (however its location has strong points). If you eat at Harry's you'll save enough to pay for the room
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by brendamc
The Park Hyatt or the Four Seasons really have the best views of all hotels. I've stayed at the Sheraton on the Park & I don't remember harbour views. Also, I've stayed at the I-C & although the location is great, I don't remember that spectacular of views from standard rooms.
Agreed. For a million-dollar view of everything - the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House and Circular Quay - the Four Seasons is it (rooms are tiny though). Park Hyatt has the best view of the Opera House and also the most expensive. Both their locations are unbeatable for trains/ferries.

The Westin is a fantastic hotel with great rooms, awesome bathrooms and a great location in bustling Martin Place but views of the harbor are blocked by the CBD.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Go for a corner room on the Horizon Club floor of the Shangri-La. Stunning views.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:52 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The Regent has changed hands .. and do not know what it is now. But someone can tell us.

Had a corner junior suite that was FABULOUS . high up.. living room faced the windows and there was a telescope in the room also. Could see the bridge, the Princess ship we had just arrived on and the Opera house .. my wonderful photo was spoiled by the camera sensing the window and focusing on that vs the tremendous view.

Was not cheap!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by JGR01
The Regent has changed hands .. and do not know what it is now. But someone can tell us.
Four Seasons
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Regent was sold to Four Seasons a long time ago (1999 or maybe 1998, definitely pre-Olympics). One of the few FS properties that they actually own (albeit something like 15% in the case of Sydney). Hotel was built in 1982 at the site of the first hanging in Sydney (making the rooms slightly haunted) and the hotel was refurbished in 1999 but isn't really up to normal FS standards, however the location and view is good. The rooms at the Westin are nicer, for example (but without harbour view).
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:45 pm

sydney harbour marriott has views of both and a pefect location right by circular quay (although the FS and Shangri have basically the same locale)

the SHM is a 5* on priceline for those of you watching the $
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL
OT: Consider visiting the Sydney Observatory

When we were in Sydney for New Year's 2002-2003, we stayed at the Park Hyatt. Beautiful hotel in a great location, but agree that it is very pricey. On New Year's Eve, they closed their rooftop pool to guests (private party) and charged $20 USD for a bucket of ice! In exchange, they did send a "complimentary" bottle of champagne to everyone's room.

While there, you might want to consider visiting the observatory. You need to make reservations in advance, but I think admission is free.

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/home.asp

Have a wonderful trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.