Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Yes May will be warmer than June but still cool. NZ is however much warmer than AMS in winter.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes May will be warmer than June but still cool. NZ is however much warmer than AMS in winter.
Is the difference significant enough to warrant moving our trip forward? The San Francisco winters have spoiled us (40F at night, 50-60F during the day with some rain).
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Hobbiton is a ~2-hour drive from Auckland. It's the last place we stopped before we got to Auckland, and it was phenomenal.

As for Waiheke Island, this is something I had scheduled a 'Fly and Wine' tour for - take a seaplane out to the island and then have a tour. Unfortunately the weather was rotten the last couple days in town (virtually non-stop rain), so the tour got canceled. You can take a ferry to get out there, and I am sure you can get in contact with a firm on the island to organize something for you (I was going through Enjoi Waiheke - seemed okay overall but a bit unresponsive at times). I've been told Mudbrick Vineyard is a great spot on the island.

As for beer, I am a beer person myself and frankly found the beer in NZ to be pretty disappointing. Their pale ales are very uncreative - weak English-style for the most part, with very little in terms of distinctive hops - and almost no IPAs (my favorite type of beer). Outside of stopping at a craft brewery in Wellington, my alcohol intake was highly skewed towards wine on this trip.

Yeah, so many people have suggested Waiheke that I think we'll just wing it. If the weather is good, we will hop on the ferry and just figure it out. Looks like there is a bus around the island.

I've been doing some searching for craft beer and it's nothing like home, but I'm finding a few that we will definitely check out. We are stout drinkers.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by olouie
Is the difference significant enough to warrant moving our trip forward? The San Francisco winters have spoiled us (40F at night, 50-60F during the day with some rain).
May should be at least that warm most places (especially northern part of North Island), but will be slightly cooler in parts of the South Island and mountain areas.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:31 pm

HI EVERYONE!

Me and my better half are planning a week and a half snowboard trip end of July beginning of August - wanting to use some velocity points, but have never done it (NZ or use points) before - any tips? it is better to get velocity flights or call up and get airing flights? etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Flying melbourne - christchurch drive to queenstown - flight from QT to Melb.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:31 pm

Just looking at the wiki for NZ climate, the average temperature for May is 2-3 degrees C warmer than June. The hottest month in NZ is February so obviously 3 months after is going to be a bit warmer than 4.

Also as mentioned above, somewhere like Auckland has a relatively gentle climate - rarely goes below 0 degrees (overnight) in winter or above 30 degrees in summer. Whereas in the South Island you'll see snow in Christchurch city at least once a year usually and it can get to mid 30s in summer.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:30 pm

Any insight on the Hobbiton tour? I'm actually a big fan of the books and movie and can't wait to see it, but I also don't know how to pick a starting point for the tour. We will be driving from Auckland so Shire's Rest or Matamata would be fine. I know Shire's is closer, but Matamata looks like a cute little place. We could get there for lunch and walk around some before the tour if it's a place worth seeing. Any insight?

Any other good places to stop for lunch between Auckland and Hobbiton? Is there a particular route that is best for sight seeing?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by MissJ
Any insight on the Hobbiton tour? I'm actually a big fan of the books and movie and can't wait to see it, but I also don't know how to pick a starting point for the tour. We will be driving from Auckland so Shire's Rest or Matamata would be fine. I know Shire's is closer, but Matamata looks like a cute little place. We could get there for lunch and walk around some before the tour if it's a place worth seeing. Any insight?

Any other good places to stop for lunch between Auckland and Hobbiton? Is there a particular route that is best for sight seeing?
Instead of eating along the way, why don't you eat at the Green Dragon? That is what I did and it was fun and pretty good food. Good enough I would do it again the next time I go!

We didn't stop at Matamata when we went. Shire's Rest is the starting point of the tour. You can't drive to the actual Hobbiton - they take you on a bus from Shire's Rest for the tour.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:49 pm

Yep, I figured out that part. Some of the reviews I read talked about being a bit rushed at the Green Dragon. How much time do we get there? It's not all that clear on the website I was looking at. That would definitely be my choice of where to eat.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso
MissJ - I did the private tour and we had plenty of time at Green Dragon. I am not sure on the public tour. I remember people on non-private tours coming through, but I wasn't paying much attention to them. I can't recommend the private tour enough. For anyone who is a huge fan, it is really worth it as it isn't a huge amount more.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:33 pm

Was it this tour?

http://www.hobbitontours.com/OurTour...4/Default.aspx

If so, $450 is a bit much for two of us compared to $79 each otherwise. That would be fine if we were with more people though. If there is a better priced one for a pair of people, I'm all over it.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Auckland to Hobbiton overnight options?

I am planning on visiting NZ in February 2017 for three nights. Flying into Auckland, will be visiting Hobbiton. I would prefer to stay in one hotel during the three days, and I would like to stay somewhere within 3 hours of Auckland by car.

Other than Auckland, is there a city worth staying in for three days, and do you have any suggested hotels? I am shooting for about $180 nzd a night or less. I will consider going higher if it's a nice property.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by MissJ
Yep, I figured out that part. Some of the reviews I read talked about being a bit rushed at the Green Dragon. How much time do we get there? It's not all that clear on the website I was looking at. That would definitely be my choice of where to eat.
Felt like about half an hour or so when I was there. I had a cider, wasn't hungry so did not partake in food, but seemed there might have been enough time. However, I deliberately booked the second tour of the day (first was sold out on my day when I went to book), so as to ensure as few people as possible. Key would likely be to have a quick moving group, and going earlier if possible, in my opinion.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:28 am

Waitomo glowworm caves ..worth it?
Is Waitomo glowworm caves really as cracked up as is mentioned by some folks? The more reviews I am reading about it the more I want to avoid the place. Basically after paying entrance fee after a 2.5 hours ride, you stand (boat) for 30 mins to enter a cave and then see the glowworms for 5 mins..On top, no photos are allowed and the staff seems to be rude...Tourist trap ? Milking a natural spot to make money?

we have seen many caves here in the U.S with stalagmites and stalactites and planning to skip this completely..
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:49 pm

Any glow worm places on the south island where you can actually take pictures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.