Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL (Auckland, NZ) airport-related thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by ucsf_med
I know Bank of New Zealand has a number of ATM's and branches at AKL. But their exchange rates are pretty poor. For those with Bank of America accounts, there's no fee for Westpac Bank ATM's. Are there any Westpac ATM's at AKL? Where?
This is your lucky day.

28 September 2007

New ATMs at Auckland Airport

Five major New Zealand banks will be installing Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) at Auckland Airport. This will increase the number and range of ATMs at the domestic and international terminals.

From early October the BNZ, ANZ, ASB, National Bank and Westpac Bank will have ATMs operating 24-hours per day on airport.

"Previously travellers and visitors to Auckland Airport have had ATM services from only two banks. The addition of the other major banks will mean that people will have greater choice in both terminals, a broader range of products and potentially lower transaction costs because they'll be able to access their own bank," said general manager retail, Nick Forbes.

The new ATMs will feature the latest technologies and accept a range of New Zealand and overseas cards.
http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/Ne...es.php?rid=221
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Reading this thread more, I am getting the impression that the departure tax exemption sticker is just for if you are on the ground less than 24 hours?

I found the reference originally almost a year ago, and got the impression then that it was just a case of stopping by a bank and getting it while making the rounds.

Just requesting clarification.

Thanks very much,

Steve
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by steve32
Reading this thread more, I am getting the impression that the departure tax exemption sticker is just for if you are on the ground less than 24 hours?

I found the reference originally almost a year ago, and got the impression then that it was just a case of stopping by a bank and getting it while making the rounds.

Just requesting clarification.

Thanks very much,

Steve
You're required to pay the tax if you're in NZ more than 24 hours otherwise you're exempt. You need to have the sticker that you paid or the one that you're exempt on your bp before passing through immigration.

I don't believe it's "any" bank, but there is one at the airport, there are also machines and if you're travelling on Air NZ's premium class (CNZ fare or another flight), then you can use the premium check-in lobby area, they will allow you to pay right there or check your info to determine if you're exempt.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
The exemption is also for children under the age of 12.

It is not any bank, only BNZ deals with departure tax. Mind you the other banks represented at the airport only have ATMs not branches.

QF, NZ, SQ, EK, LA, CX premium check in allow payment of departure tax (some credit card only while others allow cash), but not first thing (when they don't yet have the stickers). TG premium check in does NOT allow payment of departure tax.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Thanks for the clarification. That's what it sounded like when I quick read some of the messages on this thread.

Steve
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
QF, NZ, SQ, EK, LA, CX premium check in allow payment of departure tax (some credit card only while others allow cash), but not first thing (when they don't yet have the stickers). TG premium check in does NOT allow payment of departure tax.
Am I right in assuming that "first thing" includes the check-in window for the 9:00 a.m. departures to SYD? Or would first thing be earlier than that, so I'll be okay with buying from QF when I check-in for my 9:00 a.m. flight?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Am I right in assuming that "first thing" includes the check-in window for the 9:00 a.m. departures to SYD? Or would first thing be earlier than that, so I'll be okay with buying from QF when I check-in for my 9:00 a.m. flight?
I had no problems with my 9 am NZ departure flights paying at check-in and I was very early that morning.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
For 9am flights you should be fine; the issue K/F was referring to generally relates to the OMG hour flights departing prior to 7am.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

No first thing is the 6am ish flights. This is because the airlines do not keep stock of the stickers overnight and the bank doesn't open until well after 4am.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Got it. Thanks everyone.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Update. BNZ no longer does the departure tax. The BNZ branches have been replaced with Travelex. This means the machine dispensers have gone
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a few airport hotels a couple of kilometers from the airport. They have airport shuttles (no other public transport) but the hotels are so poor that generally better to stay in the city itself.
Our domestic flight arrives at appr 10:30 pm and we have a 9 am AKL-SYD flight out next morning. Considering the circumstances is it still worth staying in the city?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Update. BNZ no longer does the departure tax. The BNZ branches have been replaced with Travelex. This means the machine dispensers have gone
hmmm, so if i qualify for the under 24 hour exemption, this means i have to go to a travelex in the airport to get my sticker? (i don't know what travelex is, is it a bank?)
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Our domestic flight arrives at appr 10:30 pm and we have a 9 am AKL-SYD flight out next morning. Considering the circumstances is it still worth staying in the city?
I would. Traffic is light that time of night - not saving much time by going to an airport hotel. You should have around 7 hours at your hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karenkay
hmmm, so if i qualify for the under 24 hour exemption, this means i have to go to a travelex in the airport to get my sticker? (i don't know what travelex is, is it a bank?)
Sorry. Travelex is a major international currency exchange bureau.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.