Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL (Auckland, NZ) airport-related thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by karenkay
hmmm, so if i qualify for the under 24 hour exemption, this means i have to go to a travelex in the airport to get my sticker? (i don't know what travelex is, is it a bank?)
NZ premium checkin can also arrange the exemption sticker.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ajnz
NZ premium checkin can also arrange the exemption sticker.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:26 pm

Shuttle services

Posting back here the results of a quick search in April 2008 after not finding any specific detail here on shuttles. Note there at least a couple of fixed-price, greet-and-drive services that give you a driver with a wally-board at arrivals, and an exclusive-use car to rival the service you would get in a taxi.

However, absolutely no representation at all made here about the quality / safety etc of the vehicles / drivers, but options include;

Super Shuttle A prominent, professional shuttle service, with operators nationwide. Sample quoted fares; $36 from airport to North Shore ($22 each for 2 pax, $17 each for 3), $25 to Auckland CBD ($16 each for 2 pax, $13 each for 3). You may or may not get the shuttle to yourself.

President Taxis Sample quoted fares; $65 from domestic terminal to North Shore, $60 to Auckland CBD. Fare good for 1 to 4 passengers. Claim to have only S class Mercs (no mention of their age). This is the company used by The Spencer on Byron in Takapuna.

Kiwi Shuttle Fares listed on website; $35 from airport to North Shore in shared minibus ($21 each for 2 pax, $16 each for 3), $25 to Auckland CBD in shared minibus ($16 each for 2 pax, $13 each for 3). $55 to North Shore in an exclusive-use car (car make / model unknown), $45 to Auckland CBD.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Departure tax
Currently $25 for all pax leaving NZ, except for children (under 12?) and for transit pax who are in NZ less than 24 hours and have the exemption sticker. Unlike most air travel taxes this is payable at the airport and not bundled into the ticket price.
Am I therefore correct in thinking the departure tax is not applicable to domestic flights?

I'm trying to figure out if a AKL-ROT $89 NZD (according to ITA) is going to be the best option for my mileage needs verse AKL-ROT-WLG(6 hours)-CHC $330.
(not crediting to NZ so I get a minimum 600 miles per segment although I only really need 102 miles).

A second related question:
which *A lounge combination is better:
AKL Domestic & CHC International
or
AKL International & CHC Domestic?

Last edited by jbfield; Apr 19, 2008 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
The departure is for departure from NZ - so no charge for a domestic flight.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by jbfield
A second related question:
which *A lounge combination is better:
AKL Domestic & CHC International
or
AKL International & CHC Domestic?
I'd say the former. The CHC intl lounge I think is the best in New Zealand

Jeff
Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:25 pm

Thanks. In that case it looks like I'll take that longer routing!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbfield
I'm trying to figure out if a AKL-ROT $89 NZD (according to ITA) is going to be the best option for my mileage needs verse AKL-ROT-WLG(6 hours)-CHC $330.
(not crediting to NZ so I get a minimum 600 miles per segment although I only really need 102 miles).
I'm guessing here but NZ$89 for AKL-ROT does not sound like a mileage earning fare. You need to avoid booking classes LGSKP.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:45 pm

Thanks for the warning...it books into T though...so just about the lowest class available for mileage earning . ^

I can't seem to get the SQ website to give my SQ CHC-SIN as a routing anymore though (Thursday 22nd May), at least as an open jaw as it keeps directing me via AKL, so it looks like I'll have to stick with AKL anyway.

Editted to Add:
Hmm..maybe I was confused. Might have been GBP £89 or maybe it was NZ$89 but I selected a higher fare anyway?
The T fare isn't $89 anymore though.

Last edited by jbfield; Apr 21, 2008 at 4:20 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 8:47 pm

Int'l Transfer Through Auckland

Hello -

I'm planning a trip that takes me through Auckland in August. I have a sizeable layover on the way over, but on the way back potentially just an hour and a half.

Since I'm transferring from 1 international flight to another, will I need to clear immigration and customs in AKL or will by bags transfer automatically and no immigration? I want to make sure I don't cut myself short on my connection.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by CLTflyerGuy
Hello -

I'm planning a trip that takes me through Auckland in August. I have a sizeable layover on the way over, but on the way back potentially just an hour and a half.

Since I'm transferring from 1 international flight to another, will I need to clear immigration and customs in AKL or will by bags transfer automatically and no immigration? I want to make sure I don't cut myself short on my connection.

Thanks!

Welcome to FT CLTflyerGuy! I'm not sure, but I would imagine as long as the airlines involved interline baggage there should be no need to see your baggage or do any formalities WRT to immigration, and 90 minutes should be fine, if your flights are on the one ticket/booking (if inbound is on time 90 mins should be plenty anyway).

Any more details? Airlines involved? Is it the same airline?
Old May 27, 2009, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
Welcome to FT CLTflyerGuy! I'm not sure, but I would imagine as long as the airlines involved interline baggage there should be no need to see your baggage or do any formalities WRT to immigration, and 90 minutes should be fine, if your flights are on the one ticket/booking (if inbound is on time 90 mins should be plenty anyway).

Any more details? Airlines involved? Is it the same airline?
Thanks T!

My flight plans are LAX - AKL - NAN - AKL - LAX. All flights are on Air New Zeland, and we're planning to fly business class. Additionally, they will all be on 1 itenerary.

When I've flown through Munich before on my way to Madrid, I had to go through immigration and re-screening (even though all flights were on Lufthansa and I was only transiting through Munich).

I'm sure each airport is different, but I tend to be conservative in my connection times since there's only 1 flight per day. Thanks for the insight and advice!
Old May 27, 2009, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyer Talk CLTFlyerguy

90 minutes is fine. Air NZ in LAX will check your bags through to NAN, and in NAN check them through to LAX. You do not need to clear immigration at AKL, but you will have to go through security to get to the departures area. This will take less than 5 minutes, giving plenty of time in the lounge for a shower, a drink or some food while you wait.

(Your situation at Munich was different because Europe has a Schengen zone which has immigration when you enter or leave the zone, but no immigration passing between countries within the zone. So USA to MUC to MAD is non-schengen to schengen, thus immigration required. Same in reverse.)
Old May 30, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: NZ Koru
CLTFlyerguy

dont buy any DutyFree in NAN or LAX, AKL will take it off you.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

2nd runway deferred by a year (to 2012)

NZ Herald

Auckland Airport is putting the brakes on building its northern runway to save $9 million this year as it forecasts a weakening in underlying profit due to soft passenger numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.