Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Plans 400-Strong London Crew Base

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Qantas Plans 400-Strong London Crew Base

In the face of vocal union opposition, Qantas will press ahead with plans to establish a 400-strong London crew base on Monday by opening job offers to its 4000 Australian flight attendants. Despite the threats of industrial action by the Flight Attendants Association of Australia, Qantas said it had received positive feedback from its crews to the move.

"We've had a good level of interest in terms of people contacting in and saying, 'How can I apply'," said Michael Sharp, Qantas's head of communications. Qantas expects to save about $18 million a year from the move, given it will cut the cost of meal and hotel allowances and allow more flexibility with its crews.

In a bid to soften any potential opposition by British unions, Qantas confirmed it had already signed a memorandum of understanding with the 1.2 million-member union Amicus, which covers flight attendants. Under the offer, Qantas flight attendants moving to London will get a 12,220 ($31,750) base salary, an estimated 4000 in "sector pay", 580 in allowances and a 7250 annualised lump sum, taking the total to 24,422 ($63,500) a year. Crews will also get 600 in private medical insurance and an interest-free loan of 1500 to buy a annual London Tube pass.

The FAAA said the offer translated to a 20 to 31 per cent wage cut, given London crews would be be required to work longer hours - up to 240 hours for every eight-week roster, compared with about 180 hours for Australian crews.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/3...?from=storylhs
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:05 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I've seen lots of Qantas Crew personnel wandering around the Holiday Inn Kensington whenever I stay there. It appears to also be the preferred location for AA Flight Crews as well as some other airlines. They have a "Crew Lounge" there and must offer a good contract with the airline companies that board staff there. London ain't cheap, so I'm not surprised that QF is interested in establishing a Crew Base there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.