Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

General Questions

1. What does "ABN" mean? Some companies have "ABN" then a number on their letterhead.

2. What is the speed limit in Western Australia? I heard there wasn't a limit in most parts of the state. If so, is it enforced?

3. Does Qantas sell a pass that would allow a person many flights within Australia?

4. What is the proper way to give a tip in Australia? In the past I've tipped people and been met with a blank stare. The people I've tipped say thank you but its clear its not appreciated like it would be in the USA/Canada or Europe.

5. Since tips don't register downunder, what is the best way of getting good service, especially as a repeat customer? I've found the service in many restaurants down there to be awful!

6. Has anyone here traveled thru the Nullarbor Plain or the Canning Stock Route? Opinions and/or advice, please. Yes, Kiwi, I know it can be dangerous and yes I've read about it but I'd like to hear practical advice.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF sells a Boomerang pass (from 2 to 10 sectors, you pay by the sector). It may or may not be a good deal compared to tickets you can buy separately (depends on the route and the date). You must fly QF into Australia to buy this pass and it must be bought prior to departure (but you can buy extra segments later, also sectors above 2 are refundable in full so it is a flexible fare).
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:47 pm

1. ABN is the Australian Business Number

2. You have 50km/h in urban areas, unless you see signs indicating differently. 110 on speedways, then 60,70,80,90 depending on road signs. See here. I've seen police cars ticketing speeding drivers around Perth. And there are a lot of cameras, too.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:17 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
It's not that tipping in Australia is not appreciated, it's just that it is not a custom.

We don't usually tip cab drivers, mainly because there aren't that many worth tipping. We don't tip our hairdressers or the person that washes our hair. In restaurants we only tip if the service is outstanding. My husband is American and we quite often argue over tipping, both in Australia and in the USA . My husband is of the opinion that service in Australian restaurants is poor because we don't tip.

It seems strange to me that when we are in restaurants in the USA, my husband wants to tip for service that is ordinary to say the least. If you want good service in an Australian restaurant, be friendly to the waiter, let them know you appreciate the job they are doing and if their service is outstanding..then leave them a tip.

As for the Nullabor..skip it. I have travelled it and found it as boring as hell. There is nothing to see and the only real places to stop are service centres that have a petrol station and a chintzy hotel. My ex drove the Canning Stock Route. You need a 4wd, lots of preparation and you need to pick your time of year carefully. It's also wise to let local authorities know the dates you will be driving the route. He enjoyed it but it took him forever to get the red dust out of his brand new 4WD
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Tipping

General rule of thumb in Australia - ALWAYS leave a tip. Othrwise the staff will not know how good or bad the service and food was.

As an example, I went out to dinner the other night, came to $A190 for the two of us. The service was appalling, the food was dire. I paid the bill, and left a 50¢ tip on the CC receipt.

Our service staff do NOT rely on tips in order to feed the family the next day. Their wages allow them to do this.

But tipping IS an indication of the standard of service which has been provided. (I have got this from more than one restaurant manager recently).

By providing NO tip, you are not indicating that the service was bad. You could just be a tight b@st@rd who doesn't tip.

By leaving a totally miniscule tip (such as the 50¢ I mentioned above) you are saying "This service was so dire that no tip was warranted".

Dave
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:43 am

The open roads in the Northern Territories have no speed limits but are enforced when you come to a town. (My visit was Aug 2001)

If you drive in QLD the interrior roads may be a single lane so be careful. If you come upon a Road Train its best to pull off the road if possible and let it past.

I drove 6500 miles in OZ and found the Australian divers to be great and VERY law abiding (I didn't hear a horn the entire time). When lights change they stop and when a pedestrian is a cross walk they stop and WAIT until they cross. If we could only do as well. ^

If you do drive in the outback plan to be off the roads before dusk as the Rooes will jump in front of you car with terrible results.

Last edited by bigboofer; Jun 19, 2004 at 10:49 am Reason: added more information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.