Wiki Posts
Search

NZ Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2004, 7:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

NZ Ideas

Well I have been busy with work, but have a 3 week trip to NZ starting on 4 April. I have read through some of the other posts, but was wondering what people thought. I am hoping to mostly backpack, and spend about 2 weeks on the south island, and one week up north. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Good schedule, nice time of the year (though I prefer end of Nov). Even backpacking I'd recommend renting a car, that would cost about USD700 for rental+gas (presuming 2000km travel) and you'd be able to see 3 times as much. Really need a car to get to all the really neat spots (and read a couple of guide books first). There are tons of spots along the road that are worth a spot (but you wouldn't be able to see by bus).
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:01 am

I am going to be there for 40 days. I have found this site to be good.

http://travel.newzealand.com/index.c...6BCB00DA1.html
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It would help if we knew what interested you - scenery, adventure sports, leisure activities, etc.

If you're keen on hitching then this limits in some areas (eg parts of the west coast where there is little traffic). Rental car gives maximum freedom. Train network is limited and little help, although the overnight between Auckland and Wellington saves a night in a hotel - there are a couple of scenic train routes along Kaikoura coast (north from Christchurch) and between Christchurch and the west coast (Greymouth). Bus network is fairly widespread but may be limited in the places you can stop "off the beaten track". There are some bus tour operators that will include out of the way sights and activities. Air is relatively cheap between main cities but can be very expensive and limited schedule for minor towns.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
We spent 2 weeks+ on the south island in November with the following company:

www.activenewzealand.com
(sorry, don't know how to post a link)

Not as cheap as doing it yourself, but pretty reasonable for 2 full weeks (IMO). Plus, they found a bunch of treks and paddling opportunities that we would never have done ourselves.

This assumes that you want to hike, bike and paddle every day--but regardless, we absolutely loved NZ! Have a great time...
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Check out Backroads site for ideas on what to do from its NZ tours. Also, I think it was National Geographic Traveller that had an excellent feature article in the last 2 years on adventure travel on the South Island. It may have been the May/June 2002 Issue.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 3:19 pm

Smile

Come to Waitomo Caves and Ill look after you.

www.waitomocaves.co.nz

www.waitomocaves.com for the information centre

Im only 1.5km up the road from the Waitomo Caves also!

Enjoy your trip and drop me a email if I can help out in any way possible.

Take care

Dave
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Well I just got back from my trip, which was amazing. I was actually in Waitomo on 9 April staying at the new hostel right there up from the information center. I will say that the three weeks that I did spend was not nearly enough time, so I will probably stop back soon to do some of the stuff that I did not get to do. The only one day in three weeks that I truly had bad weather was while in Taupo, which prevented me from doing the Tangariro Crossing.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Glad you enjoyed your trip to NZ. You're right 3 weeks isnt long enough to see the place properly and experience it all.

Hope you're not too stressed going back to the U S of A!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.