Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between using Opal and MasterCard/Visa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:46 pm

I definitely didn't get the daily cap when I used the card on a Sunday last year, thats when I learnt/was told the card had to be linked to an opal account and a credit would be paid to it, but that may be something they've fixed by now. Would be good if they have as it would be one less card to carry.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IMOA
I definitely didn't get the daily cap when I used the card on a Sunday last year, thats when I learnt/was told the card had to be linked to an opal account and a credit would be paid to it, but that may be something they've fixed by now. Would be good if they have as it would be one less card to carry.
It must have changed since then. (NB The below is a bit out of date as it says that buses are coming soon, buses have been available for CC Opal use since September)
You can now use your contactless-enabled credit, debit or linked device on the Opal network and get all the same fares and travel benefits of an Adult Opal card. Available on metro, train, light rail and ferry services, and coming to bus services soon, contactless payments are another way to pay.

You can use a contactless-enabled American Express, Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card or a device linked to one of these cards to pay for your trip. Simply tap on and tap off at Opal readers with your credit or debit card or linked device to get the same fares and travel benefits of an Adult Opal card.
https://transportnsw.info/news/2019/...benefits-fares
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by bensyd; Feb 18, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks bro! Can you tell me what the merchant code is? I wonder if Chase or Citi will classify this as travel, but I won't know until a few days from now when my transaction is posted.
I have no idea sorry.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
While no direct experience with contactless in Sydney, do not see any requirement to register a cc to an Opal account, to get the daily cap level.
If wanting a student, senior, etc discount may have to, otherwise the system would not know you are eligible for the concession discount.

https://transportnsw.info/tickets-op...to-pay-content

From https://transportnsw.info/tickets-op...ts/adult-fares

Anyway lsquare may be able to tell us in few days, if he has used the system a lot (daily cap)
So far, I only buses it once and that was to go from SYD to the Sheraton on the Park. I just walked for the rest of the day to get a feel of Sydney.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
It must have changed since then. (NB The below is a bit out of date as it says that buses are coming soon, buses have been available for CC Opal use since September)

https://transportnsw.info/news/2019/...benefits-fares
Awesome. I've ditched my wallet and trying to live with a 3 card phone cover so saving one of the cards is a good win
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:20 pm

I live in Sydney so use this daily. Your card does not have to be linked to any Opal card to get the daily cap/weekly cap. You simply tap on/off with the same card all day/week and the cap is automatically applied. $16.10 per day max or $50 per week no matter how many times or what mode of transport.

You must however use the same card or device for the cap to link up. i.e. if you tap on with your physical card once but then tap on later with Apple Pay, even though it's linked to the same credit/debit card it won't match up and you won't get the daily/weekly cap.

If you're a senior or child then you need to get an Opal card for those particular discounts but otherwise there is no difference/benefit to using an Opal than your credit/debit card.
IMOA and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far, I only buses it once and that was to go from SYD to the Sheraton on the Park. I just walked for the rest of the day to get a feel of Sydney.
The ferry's are where you can get good value from the daily cap or the Sunday $2.80 cap.
Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly, Watsons Bay, zoo & Darling Harbour are what people on the tourist boats pay $$$ for. You can immediately return on the same ferry.

https://transportnsw.info/routes/ferry

Ferry Trip Planner | Sydney Ferries Timetables & Prices

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/thing...rips-in-sydney
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thx guys, but I'm still waiting for suggestions on how to drain my Opal to $0. Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx guys, but I'm still waiting for suggestions on how to drain my Opal to $0. Thank you!
How much have you got on there? It's a few dollars who cares?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
How much have you got on there? It's a few dollars who cares?
I think it'll be a few dollars, but I just hate wasting money. It's not how I was raised by my folks.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:17 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The only official way to drain "drain an opal" fully is to cash out to an Australian bank account.

If you don't have one, you need to work out the fares and just get it as close to 0 as possible. Otherwise you need to plan carefully: if you get the balance down to an amount slightly over the minimum fare from a station, tap in at that station, then take a trip that costs more than the minimum fare, the card would go to a negative balance when you tap out. Then you can chuck it. Needless to say, if you get inspected by an officer when leaving the end station in this way, you might get fined $200.

Also not sure if ticket barriers will open when there is a negative balance or you have to be let out manually then forced to top up (not all stations are barriered). People used to do this to exit the airport station and evade the airport access fee.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
....Also not sure if ticket barriers will open when there is a negative balance or you have to be let out manually then forced to top up (not all stations are barriered). People used to do this to exit the airport station and evade the airport access fee.
Been reports over the recent years this negative balance loop hole may be closed
29 Nov 2018 https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...28-p50iy9.html
<snip>
In 2017-18, the number of Opal cards with negative balances spiked from more than 776,000 to 1.1 million, with $3.8 million in lost revenue, for a total of $7.8 million since Opal was introduced.
<snip>
"We are currently working with Airport Link on a solution that will change the operation of the Opal gates so they remain closed if a customer does not have enough money to cover the correct cost of their fare."

Alarmingly for the government, the average amount owing on each card ballooned to $11.76, indicating an increasing proportion of commuters exploiting the loophole at the airport train stations.
<snip>
01 Nov 2018.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...transport.html
and
31 Oct 2018 https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...29-p50cpi.html
Catching the train from Sydney airport may now appear a less attractive transport option for visitors, after a minimum $35 top-up was introduced for new Opal cards in a bid to stop people exploiting a loophole that was costing the state government millions.

All trips to and from the Sydney Airport stations attract a station access fee of $14.30 for adults or $12.80 for concessions, but since commuters are allowed to tap on with a balance of just $3.66 and can tap off with a negative balance, airport-goers can avoid paying the hefty surcharge by simply throwing away their card with the balance owing.
A spokeswoman for Transport for NSW confirmed that the $35 minimum, which covers the cost of a return train trip to the airport, was an effort to "stop the fraud which has been going on"
<snip.

Every backpacker in Sydney knows this loop hole

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 18, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think it'll be a few dollars, but I just hate wasting money. It's not how I was raised by my folks.
Didn't they teach you time is money? A lot of time in this thread over a few Australian $

I suggested a ferry if you have time, and I suggested donating to a homeless person, or gifting at the airport to incoming passengers. That's all I have!

You said you had $35 and airport trips are over $17 each way, so how much are you really expecting to have left to 'drain'?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Didn't they teach you time is money? A lot of time in this thread over a few Australian $

I suggested a ferry if you have time, and I suggested donating to a homeless person, or gifting at the airport to incoming passengers. That's all I have!

You said you had $35 and airport trips are over $17 each way, so how much are you really expecting to have left to 'drain'?
lol! I can assure you I am only on FT when I'm eating or at the Sheraton lounge! Doesn't hurt to ask!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
The negative balance loophole at the airports is gone - top-up machines inside the gates.

Otherwise as mentioned upthread for an Adult there is now no difference between Opal and Credit card (other than immediate fare feedback, as contactless is processed backend).

The simplest way to 'drain' an Opal card is give it to a local. They can add it to their account, then transfer the balance.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.