Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne - The Eating Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:57 pm

Here’s my report from my short time in Melbourne.

By the time I arrived in Melbourne, taxied from the airport and checked in to the Hilton Melbourne, it was starting to get past lunchtime. Therefore, I had lunch in the hotel restaurant, Luci. They offer a 2 or 3 course lunch menu. I opted for the 2 course with a salad and a pork chop for the main. Also, a glass of Rosé. It was actually a quite enjoyable meal.

That evening, I chose to go to Tipo 00. After looking at their website, it showed that they were booked solid for a few weeks, so on a whim, I decided to just walk in at 5:30 and see what might happen. Lo, and behold, they had a table available, with the caveat that I would have to vacate by 6:30. No problem! I ordered the lettuce salad, which was forgettable. I then had the gnocchi with duck and a nice Soave to accompany it, which the waitress recommended. Service was good and the staff was nice.

The next night I was able to secure a spot at the bar at Supernormal for 5:45. The staff helped make some food choices and as I mentioned in a post above, they have very impressive wine list. The food was excellent! The problem I had with this place is the pacing of the meal. Admittedly, when I go to a restaurant of this caliber, I am not there to eat, I’m there to dine. I want to savor the food and the wine that is being paired with it. At Supernormal, I barely had time to finish a dish before the next one was set down on the table. It was VERY frenetic! If I’m ever in Melbourne again, I’d want to go to this restaurant again, but I’d insist on a slower pacing of the meal.

All in all, I thank everyone who made suggestions above and I would return to any of the restaurants I visited.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 29, 2023 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

By the time I arrived in Melbourne, taxied from the airport and checked in to the Hilton Melbourne, it was starting to get past lunchtime. Therefore, I Chad lunch in the hotel restaurant, Luci. They offer a 2 or 3 course lunch menu. I opted for the 2 course with a salad and a pork chop for the main. Also, a glass of Rosé. It was actually a quite enjoyable meal.

That evening, I chose to go to Tipo 00. After looking at their website, it showed that they were booked solid for a few weeks, so on a whim, I decided to just walk in at 5:30 and see what might happen. Lo, and behold, they had a table available, with the caveat that I would have to vacate by 6:30. No problem! I ordered the lettuce salad, which was forgettable. I then had the gnocchi with duck and a nice Soave to accompany it, which the waitress recommended. Service was good and the staff was nice.

The next night I was able to secure a spot at the bar at Supernormal for 5:45. The staff helped make some food choices and as I mentioned in a post above, they have very impressive wine list. The food was excellent! The problem I had with this place is the pacing of the meal. Admittedly, when I go to a restaurant of this caliber, I am not there to eat, I’m there to dine. I want to savor the food and the wine that is being paired with it. At Supernormal, I barely had time to finish a dish before the next one was set down on the table. It was VERY frenetic! If I’m ever in Melbourne again, I’d want to go to this restaurant again, but I’d insist on a slower pacing of the meal.

All in all, I thank everyone who made suggestions above and I would return to any of the restaurants I visited.
Ah Tipo 00 - superlative pasta joint, one of my Melbourne favourites.

Yeah they don’t muck around at Supernormal. With short staffing at a lot of venues they try to make up for it with shorter sitting times these days.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Ah Tipo 00 - superlative pasta joint, one of my Melbourne favourites.

Yeah they don’t muck around at Supernormal. With short staffing at a lot of venues they try to make up for it with shorter sitting times these days.
I really enjoyed the gnocchi with duck at Tipo 00 and the staff was very friendly.

Based on my observations at Supernormal, I was surprised to see how many staff were there. It seemed like there was more than adequate numbers of kitchen staff, wait staff and food runners. From my hometown to the various restaurants in other countries I’ve visited since the pandemic, I would say that Supernormal had the highest number of staff that I’ve seen. The owner must be doing something right for them.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Andrew McConnell is a very good operator and seems to either control the pulse of or be on the pulse of Melbourne dining.

Supernormal is but one of his excellent venues - Cumulus Inc, Cutler & Co are 2 others. Gimlet is highly rated - would like to try sometime.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:32 am

I looked at Gimlet and several other restaurants, but all were booked full, not surprising since it was a Saturday night.

I went to Bibelot in South Melbourne for a midday pastry and tea. I liked this place, but I really enjoyed the neighborhood. I liked the scale, not filled with skyscrapers, the ambiance and people were more laid back and it was not as crowded as the CBD.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 31, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

By the time I arrived in Melbourne, taxied from the airport and checked in to the Hilton Melbourne, it was starting to get past lunchtime. Therefore, I had lunch in the hotel restaurant, Luci. They offer a 2 or 3 course lunch menu. I opted for the 2 course with a salad and a pork chop for the main. Also, a glass of Rosé. It was actually a quite enjoyable meal.

Thanks for this report. For our upcoming trip, we've already booked Supernormal and Tipo00 for the Melbourne leg. (H/T to JClassTraveller for the Tipo00 recommendation.) Glad to hear both were impressive. We're dining late at Supernormal, so I'm hoping the evening won't be quite as rushed as you experienced.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

South Melbourne is nice and the vibe is a bit different in a good way (at least once you get past the towers at Southbank).

Lots of good eating spots there particularly around South Melbourne Market. Market Lane has an outpost of their superb coffee there.

Chez Dre is good (next to the aforementioned Bibelot experienced by FLYMSY above).

Also good is St Ali, Code Black and Clement Coffee.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Just returned from a four-night stay in Melbourne, and very happy to report that we had some excellent meals while there.
Supernormal-a packed house even at 830 on a Sunday evening. First-rate, unpretentious service and terrific food. Dumplings & potsticker apps, and of all things the mini New England lobster rolls should not be missed.

Hu Tong Noodle Bar-we took JClassTraveller's advice about not dining at Nomad in both Sydney and Melbourne (loved the Sydney dinner) and went here instead. Grazed through a variety of dim sum dumplings before ordering the whole crispy duck. Loved it all.

Flower Drum-easy to see why this place has such a good reputation. Extensive menu, and even more extensive wine list. With so many choices, ordering a variety of small plates to share is a good option. Spot-on service throughout the meal.

Tipo00-thanks once again to JClassTraveller for this recommendation. Small, busy, very difficult reservations, and just totally wonderful, featuring pasta that is to die for. Had Grilled tiger prawns, spaghetti vongole, and wagyu beef rigatoni, accompanied by some lovely wines by the glass as recommended by the bartender. The wait staff makes it a fun place to dine, but this is some serious cooking.

We also stumbled on a little place for lunch in the CBD called Simply Spanish, where they were offering a lunch special of provincial paella for AU $20. Along with a glass of Rioja it made for a very enjoyable meal al fresco. 555 Bourke Street, in a courtyard between Bourke and Little Collins. https://www.mryum.com/simplyspanishbs/dine-in/lunch

Last edited by bob12403; May 7, 2023 at 5:05 am
Old May 9, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I feel I'm a bit downmarket compared to most diners here, but I really enjoyed the menu at The Farmer's Daughters (Exhibition St) - good value and relatively unfussy for a 7-courser.
https://www.farmersdaughters.com.au/restaurant

It was really busy, but was with my son and his gf - I don't know if I'd have enjoyed it much on my own in those circmstances.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
I feel I'm a bit downmarket compared to most diners here, but I really enjoyed the menu at The Farmer's Daughters (Exhibition St) - good value and relatively unfussy for a 7-courser.
https://www.farmersdaughters.com.au/restaurant

It was really busy, but was with my son and his gf - I don't know if I'd have enjoyed it much on my own in those circmstances.
We usually head to Yarra for wining & dining, but I myself prefer cheap & cheery mornings plus lunch at bakeshops like Beechworth.

Last edited by FlitBen; May 10, 2023 at 2:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.