Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne - The Eating Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by bob12403
Thanks, JClasstraveller. I have Nomad once in each city because we are doing The Feast in Sydney so I thought that it might be interesting to try ordering a la carte in Melbourne. But to your point, if something else really screams out "Eat Here!" in Melbourne, I have plenty of time to change our reservation.

And I appreciate the reminder about Tipo 00. I had looked at that near the start of this culinary adventure, thought the menu was just OK, and kept looking. I took another look after your comment--not sure if they changed the menu, or my mindset changed, but I'm far more intrigued now than I was originally. Adding that to my short list.

And regarding the Andrew McConnell restaurants, I've noticed that in both cities the number of different high-quality restaurants that are under a single restaurateur's umbrella is quite surprising. But it does give a prospective first-time diner a higher comfort level knowing that if you loved restaurant A & B from a certain restaurateur, then the odds are good that restaurant C will live up to the same high standards.

In the US, this reminds me of the Stephen Starr Restaurants group, but his empire is even bigger: 30+ restaurants, almost all of them different concepts, stretching along the east coast from New York to Miami, plus one outstanding co-owned small bistro in Paris. If you're ever in Washington DC, be sure to dine at Le Diplomate, his hommage to Parisian bistros (or perhaps more accurately brasseries), which has been going strong for 17 years. Food, wine, & service are consistently first-rate, which is why even with 300 seats it's still a difficult reservation to obtain without advance planning. https://lediplomatedc.com/
My sole Stephen Starr experience was at Continental in Philadelphia. I remember a lobster mashed potatoes that was the size of the Liberty Bell…

Was tasty though.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:01 pm

I’ll be in Melbourne next weekend, Friday, Saturday, and am looking for lunch and dinner place recommendations. Leaning towards Asian or Modern Australian primarily, but not exclusively. Hole-in-the-wall joints and up are all acceptable. I’m staying in the CBD and relying on public transportation. Main requirement is very good food.

I want to give a big thank you to bensyd who provided me with the below link in the Adelaide wine tour thread. It’s a bit daunting with the large list, especially since it’s my first time in Melbourne, only there for two days and four meals.

https://www.agfg.com.au/awards/sa#l5294

I’d appreciate any help you can offer.
bensyd likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’ll be in Melbourne next weekend, Friday, Saturday, and am looking for lunch and dinner place recommendations. Leaning towards Asian or Modern Australian primarily, but not exclusively. Hole-in-the-wall joints and up are all acceptable. I’m staying in the CBD and relying on public transportation. Main requirement is very good food.

I want to give a big thank you to bensyd who provided me with the below link in the Adelaide wine tour thread. It’s a bit daunting with the large list, especially since it’s my first time in Melbourne, only there for two days and four meals.

https://www.agfg.com.au/awards/sa#l5294

I’d appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks for the shout out.

I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago on business. Ended up at Supernormal. I really enjoyed it. It's sort of Pan-Asian fusion. I also at at France Soir which was also pretty good. I don't know how popular Butcher's Diner is in Melbourne, but it's pretty good, and cheap, at least compared to Sydney. The thing I like about Melbourne is restaurants aren't scared of things like offal, unlike in Sydney.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Higher Ground is very good.

Supernormal is excellent as is Coda.

Getting a booking a week out might the issue.

If you like coffee, I’ll return with a long list.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:37 am

Thank you bensyd and JClasstraveller for the suggestions. I’ll do some research on these suggestions. As far as coffee goes, I don’t partake, but I do enjoy tea.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as coffee goes, I don’t partake, but I do enjoy tea.
You'll love Melbourne then. They will talk endlessly about how great their coffee is. Try mentioning that the flat white was invented in Sydney and watch heads explode.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
You'll love Melbourne then. They will talk endlessly about how great their coffee is. Try mentioning that the flat white was invented in Sydney and watch heads explode.
. 😂😂

I live in a city that enjoys their coffee and has one of the largest coffee roasting plants in the world. I have no idea what a “flat white“ is. I’m an outlier. 😁

Hmmm, did Melbourne have anything to do with the creation of Earl Grey tea? 🤡
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. 😂😂

I live in a city that enjoys their coffee and has one of the largest coffee roasting plants in the world. I have no idea what a “flat white“ is. I’m an outlier. 😁

Hmmm, did Melbourne have anything to do with the creation of Earl Grey tea? 🤡
I don't know if the bubble tea craze is a thing in Melbourne like it is in Sydney. Although that sort of "tea" would probably make Earl Grey roll over in his grave.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
But their coffee is generally better than ours.

*ducks for cover*
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
But their coffee is generally better than ours.

*ducks for cover*
I was going to say get out but this is the Melbourne thread so I guess I can't.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:28 am

I looked at the menu for Supernormal which looks wonderful. They also have a very impressive wine list. 👍
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:30 pm

The worst meal and experience I had in Melbourne was at Higher Ground a couple of weeks ago.

Booked, turned up on time (a couple mins early) only for the maître d' to give away our table to a walk-in in front of us - much to the shock and horror of the other staff member who was about to seat us.

Once we were eventually seated, the food was the worst we had in our time in Melbourne.

On a positive note, had wonderful food at Gimlet, Embla and a couple of (very long) lunches at Stokehouse.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chessboxin
The worst meal and experience I had in Melbourne was at Higher Ground a couple of weeks ago.

Booked, turned up on time (a couple mins early) only for the maître d' to give away our table to a walk-in in front of us - much to the shock and horror of the other staff member who was about to seat us.

Once we were eventually seated, the food was the worst we had in our time in Melbourne.

On a positive note, had wonderful food at Gimlet, Embla and a couple of (very long) lunches at Stokehouse.
Sorry to hear of that experience.

Heard Gimlet is great (as is almost anything Andrew McConnell) but pricey!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Sorry to hear of that experience.

Heard Gimlet is great (as is almost anything Andrew McConnell) but pricey!
Gimlet is very good. Wonderful food and service and price wasn't excessive IMO.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Lunch spots in Melbourne?

Hi once again, folks. A while back I had a number of posts and replies with the good folks on this board about dining in Melbourne. The focus at that time was primarily restaurants for dinner, and between your help and my research I think I've managed to assemble a pretty good list of the top dinner offerings, with a nice range of cuisines. I'm returning here now for a Part 2: Lunches.

Ideally, I'd like to find some spots that are easier on the wallet than some of our places booked for dinner, although price is not the primary consideration. So with that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone would care to offer up a few suggestions for places for casual, somewhat moderately priced lunches during our trip next month. All cuisines, pubs, cafes, etc welcome, good list of Australian wines by the glass a plus.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza, and in three days won't be going too far afield from the CBD north of the Yarra, and the National Gallery to the south. My lunch list under consideration thus far: Hu Tong Dumpling, Din Tai Fong, Tim Ho Wan, Pastuso, Mo Vida. Anybody have a pub they would like to add? Ever had lunch at one of the places at Fed Square? (Asking due to its convenient location to the Ian Potter Centre.)

BTW, I'm posting a similar request on the Sydney dining thread, if anyone cares to share recommendations over there. Many thanks--and I promise a full report on both cities when we return!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.