Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney, Uluru and which wine area?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

After researching all of the recommendations given here, we have our initial list of wineries to visit:

Henschke
Rockford
Torbreck
Two Hands
Tscharke
Charles Melton

A late possible addition would mean going to McLaren Vale. A friend, who owns a large wine shop and distributor, has recommended that we visit D’Arenberg.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I’ve been spending quite a bit of time researching the suggestions given here plus additional planning. Also, had two TATL trips since my last visit here.

We’re entering the final stretch of planning for our trip to Australia. So far:

First 3 nights will be in Sydney. (Getting over jet lag, touring Sydney)
Three nights in Uluru.
Four nights in Adelaide and surrounding area.
Last three nights in Sydney before returning to MSY. (possible visits to Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley)

We still have to plan the Adelaide portion. We arrive in Adelaide at 8:00 P.M. on a Wednesday evening flight. I thought we would spend that first night there. That leaves us three remaining nights.

First possibility is to make Adelaide our base and take a day trip to McLaren Vale and return to our hotel. Next day , do the same to Barossa and visit some wineries. Return to Adelaide. Our last day, we would tour Adelaide.

Second possibility is to stay the first night in Adelaide. Second day, make the trip to McLaren Vale and spend the night. Third and fourth day, go to Barossa, spend two nights and on the last day drive direct to ADL for our flight to SYD (11:00 A.M.).

Should we consider giving up a day in wine country to tour Adelaide? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
After researching all of the recommendations given here, we have our initial list of wineries to visit:

Henschke
Rockford
Torbreck
Two Hands
Tscharke
Charles Melton

A late possible addition would mean going to McLaren Vale. A friend, who owns a large wine shop and distributor, has recommended that we visit D’Arenberg.
Have you contracted with a guide (which one?), or are you going to do it by yourself?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Might I suggest a booking at Penfolds' Magill Estate?

It may be right up your alley. Really good food, and pairings that astound. For the $$$ you can sample some amazing wines.

https://www.penfolds.com/en-us/visit...ate-restaurant

We had an overnight in Adelaide on the way to Kangaroo Island the next morning. Booked dinner at Magill.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both are good options

Visiting & staying in the Barossa and a day trip to McLaren Vale would be my preference, compared to driving to/from Adelaide

For option 2 McLaren Vale is to the south of the airport. Barossa (north of the city) to the airport, means going through the city. Swapping the days for Barossa & McLaren Vale would make driving to the airport a little simpler/quicker. But Adelaide is not a big city and the airport is close to the city centre (6km to the west).

Plesse do not drink & drive. Drivers can be breath tested for alcohol at any time

Edit
OP's other thread---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dini...s-regions.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 2, 2019 at 4:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Have you contracted with a guide (which one?), or are you going to do it by yourself?
Have not finalized the winery tour portion of our trip yet. See this thread for my latest update as of today:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...ne-area-2.html

We will make plans with a wine tour guide, probably with one of the recommended ones in this thread. 99.9 percent chance we won’t drive ourselves.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
If you do go to the Hunter Valley, I’d recommend:

1) McLeish Estate and their semillons (2014 is especially good)
2) Tamburlaine
3) Brokenwood

The Hunter is known for whites, reds are decent but their whites are probably better overall than the reds (YMMV and personal tastes considered)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Our focus will be primarily reds, although that wouldn’t prevent us from purchasing an outstanding white. We currently have a large amount of whites: Austrian, German, a little bit of Swiss and some odds & ends Thanks for the additional winery suggestions. Brokenwood is definitely on our list and I’ll research the other two.

Going back to my earlier post, is touring Adelaide worth one of our 3 full days in that area? Or, should we spend all 3 days in the wine areas?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you seem very interested in wineries I would spend the 3 days in wine area's.
Adelaide is just another city. The Toyota's will look the same as your home city
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Our focus will be primarily reds, although that wouldn’t prevent us from purchasing an outstanding white. We currently have a large amount of whites: Austrian, German, a little bit of Swiss and some odds & ends Thanks for the additional winery suggestions. Brokenwood is definitely on our list and I’ll research the other two.

Going back to my earlier post, is touring Adelaide worth one of our 3 full days in that area? Or, should we spend all 3 days in the wine areas?

If you're going to the Hunter, my favourite Australian white is the Tyrell's semillion. Worth checking out their cellar door.

I agree with Mwenenzi, no point visiting Adelaide. It's a pretty boring part of the world.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm a bit confused on why the OP's two threads were merged. Anyone clicking on this thread purportedly about Australian wine regions will find the first couple of pages are about Uluru and Kings Canyon.
Mwenenzi and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
I'm a bit confused on why the OP's two threads were merged. Anyone clicking on this thread purportedly about Australian wine regions will find the first couple of pages are about Uluru and Kings Canyon.
I’m as confused about this as you are. I specifically started the wine thread in the Dining forum so that it would be easier for others to find info about Australian wines. I’ve been frustrated when I’ve tried searching for something specific in a forum only to be met by a generalized topic with thousands of posts to wade through to attempt to find what I was looking for.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Agreed. Having a separate thread on Australian wines & regions was a good idea. Not mixed up with general Aussie travel questions. Thread is disjointed now and does not read well (confusing)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 4, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Yes, we’re going with “Life Is A Cabernet “.

I communicated with all 3 of the ones mentioned here and found some interesting results. I would recommend that anyone who does this in the future, do your homework. There are some minor differences and then there are some MAJOR differences.

This is what we found for our purposes:

Life Is A Cabernet includes pick up and return to our Adelaide hotel, private tour, lunch, tasting fees, taxes and our choice of wineries to visit.

Barossa Valley Tours includes everything above, EXCEPT, lunch and tasting fees. It is about AU$ 10 cheaper per person than LIAC.

Small Batch Wine Tours includes exactly the same as LIAC. HOWEVER, it is more than double the cost of either of the other two.

747FC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.