Sydney, Uluru and which wine area?

Old May 7, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Sydney, Uluru and which wine area?

My wife and I are arriving in Sydney on Thursday, August 22 and have 13 days in Australia. We return to the U.S. on Wednesday, Sept. 4. I believe this is near the end of wintertime? We are not beach goers or into athletic endeavors. Also, we will not rent a car. Uluru is on my wifes bucket list (therefore, non-negotiable ) and she is looking at a 4 night/3 day package at the resort.

I thought that we would spend the night of our arrival in Sydney to get over the long flight. Were thinking of flying to Uluru on the next day, 8/23 and departing on Tuesday 8/26. We definitely want to spend the last 3-4 nights of our trip in Sydney.

What Im looking for is help to fill in the blanks between Uluru and Sydney, which would be 4-5 days that need filling. We are thinking about going to a wine area and saw that there are wine tours to the Blue Mountain region that involve overnight stays.

I would appreciate any suggestions on places to visit and time frames. We have some flexibility in our schedule. Yall give me some great help back in January when I was in Sydney for the first time, only for 2 1/2 days. I have wonderful memories of the friendliness of the people there. Thank you in advance.

Old May 7, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very good time of the year to visit. Getting towards spring and will not be hot/cold in the red centre.
Does the Uluru package include flights?
If not you could fly to ADL and visit the Barossa and/or McLaren Vale. 10 times better than the Hunter
Both area will have tours you could take from Adelaide (no self driving)

SYD-ASP-AYQ-ADL-SYD Link----> Great Circle Mapper

Edit
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 7, 2019 at 2:59 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
While you're in the Red Center/Centre, if your fitness level is up to it (I saw where you wrote that you're "not into athletic activities) I'd suggest hiking Kings Canyon. It's a three-hour drive from Yulara. You can rent a car or sign up for a day trip. I hiked it a bit less than three years ago. While I am used to hiking, I was 74 years old at the time, and I suspect you are quite a bit younger. I did not find it particularly strenuous, and definitely found it worth the time. An online search for photos will give you an idea of what to expect there.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you are going all the way to Uluru, it makes total sense to spend more time in the red center. There's so much to see.

I agree with Efrem that King's Canyon is a great option. It is a long, but not particularly strenuous, hike. There's a bit of an easy incline to start but once you get to the top it's just a stroll (but a long one). Up to you if that is the sort of thing that interests you.

Perhaps fly to Alice Springs and spend a night or two there, do some day trips, and see the wonderful Kangaroo Sanctuary (where you can hold a baby Joey on their sunset tour).

Here are some photos of mine from the Red Center

Old May 8, 2019, 6:14 pm

Gorgeous photos - thank you for sharing
Old May 8, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A very good time of the year to visit. Getting towards spring and will not be hot/cold in the red centre.
Does the Uluru package include flights?
If not you could fly to ADL and visit the Barossa and/or McLaren Vale. 10 times better than the Hunter
Both area will have tours you could take from Adelaide (no self driving)

SYD-ASP-AYQ-ADL-SYD Link----> Great Circle Mapper

Edit
No, the Uluru package doesnt include flights. I noticed in the flight map that the flights go from Sydney to Alice Springs to Uluru. Is it necessary to fly to ASP?

Im still reading thru the Adelaide material, but it seems very intriguing and doable. Ill be asking more questions after I get through that material. Thanks for the great suggestions, so far.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
No, the Uluru package doesn’t include flights. I noticed in the flight map that the flights go from Sydney to Alice Springs to Uluru. Is it necessary to fly to ASP?
JQ fly SYD AYQ
QF fly SYD-ASP-AYQ
Have not checked VA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport

Some more info on the area here (open the wiki)--> Oz Fest #11. "The Red Centre" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 23-25, 2014

edit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_...hern_Territory)
The walls of Kings Canyon are over 100 metres high, with Kings Creek at the bottom. Part of the gorge is a sacred Aboriginal site and visitors are discouraged from leaving the walking tracks.

Three walks exist at Kings Canyon. The two km (return) and approximately one-hour Kings Creek Walk traces the bottom of the gorge. At the end of the walk is a platform, with views of the canyon walls above. The six km (loop) Kings Canyon Rim Walk traces the top of the canyon and takes three to four hours to complete.[1] A steep climb at the beginning of the walk, which locals call "Heartbreak Hill" (or "Heart Attack Hill", due to its steepness), takes visitors up to the top, with views of the gorge below and of the surrounding landscape. About half way during the walk, a detour descends to the Garden of Eden, a permanent waterhole surrounded by plant life. The last half of the walk passes through a maze of weathered sandstone domes, reminiscent of the Bungle Bungle. A slow descent brings the visitor back to the starting point. The loop can also be done in reverse (anti-clockwise), but the National Park Rangers encourage visitors to walk in one direction. Access to the walk may be restricted during hot weather.[2] The 22 km Giles Track connects Kings Canyon to Kathleen Springs and is popular with more adventurous hikers.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 8, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
While you're in the Red Center/Centre, if your fitness level is up to it (I saw where you wrote that you're "not into athletic activities) I'd suggest hiking Kings Canyon. It's a three-hour drive from Yulara. You can rent a car or sign up for a day trip. I hiked it a bit less than three years ago. While I am used to hiking, I was 74 years old at the time, and I suspect you are quite a bit younger. I did not find it particularly strenuous, and definitely found it worth the time. An online search for photos will give you an idea of what to expect there.
How long is the Kings Canyon hike?
Old May 8, 2019, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you are going all the way to Uluru, it makes total sense to spend more time in the red center. There's so much to see.

I agree with Efrem that King's Canyon is a great option. It is a long, but not particularly strenuous, hike. There's a bit of an easy incline to start but once you get to the top it's just a stroll (but a long one). Up to you if that is the sort of thing that interests you.

Perhaps fly to Alice Springs and spend a night or two there, do some day trips, and see the wonderful Kangaroo Sanctuary (where you can hold a baby Joey on their sunset tour).

Here are some photos of mine from the Red Center

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149998...57673508059797
I like the photo of the police car in the mirror.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the NT Government always needs a contribution to the bank account
Old May 8, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
We did the King's Canyon walk in 3 hours from car park to car park. I would call our pace 'leisurely'. Keep in mind King's Canyon is a long drive from Yulara and you really need to start the hike early in the morning or else the heat will make it not very fun.

Yes, we got a proper welcome from the NT's finest

Last edited by CPMaverick; May 8, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

We might be able to do the Kings Creek walk. My wife has an injured knee which happened, ironically, at a hospital.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
JQ fly SYD AYQ
QF fly SYD-ASP-AYQ
Have not checked VA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport
Seems like VA flies between SYD & AYQ.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

Seems like VA flies between SYD & AYQ.
And QF flies between AYQ-ADL if you want to head there for wine tasting.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I can recommend dinner at the McGill Estate Restaurant by Penfolds. Astonishing dinner and wines....https://www.penfolds.com/en-us/visit...ate-restaurant

If you get down to ADL...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.