Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help - 1 week in Australia/NZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Ok. So I've narrowed down our plans and would appreciate another round of feedback. Thanks in advance.

Day 1 - Land in SYD, explore, time adjust
Day 2 - SYD - landmarks/one of the beaches
Day 3 - SYD - a couple more places
Day 4 - Fly to BNE (AM), rent car, visit Lone Pine
Day 5 - Fly to MEL (AM), rent car, start down GOR, stop in Kennett River, stay overnight in Apollo Bay
Day 6 - Visit rest of GOR sights, return to MEL
Day 7 - Phillip Island
Day 8 - MEL - landmarks, St. Kilda pier (PM), redeye flight to HKG

Hotels:
SYD - IC Sydney using IHG Visa free night (x2), 1 additional night booked via Chase UR portal.
BNE - Undecided and open to suggestions. (I have a Marriott Friends and Family discount for the MVC in Surfer's Paradise, if it's worth considering).
GOR - Apollo Bay seems like a good stopping point after Kennett River, but also open to suggestions.
MEL - Maybe Grand Hyatt using Hyatt Visa free night (x2), but parking is $$. Open to suggestions. Should I consider staying in St. Kilda?

Car rentals:
Europcar?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting better ^
Originally Posted by whistler814
Ok. So I've narrowed down our plans and would appreciate another round of feedback. Thanks in advance.

Day 5 - Fly to MEL (AM), rent car, start down GOR, stop in Kennett River, stay overnight in Apollo Bay
Day 7 - Phillip Island

Hotels:
SYD - IC Sydney using IHG Visa free night (x2), 1 additional night booked via Chase UR portal.
BNE - Undecided and open to suggestions. (I have a Marriott Friends and Family discount for the MVC in Surfer's Paradise, if it's worth considering).
GOR - Apollo Bay seems like a good stopping point after Kennett River, but also open to suggestions.
MEL - Maybe Grand Hyatt using Hyatt Visa free night (x2), but parking is $$. Open to suggestions. Should I consider staying in St. Kilda?
Can't see the point visiting Brisbane for a half a day (nor will you if you actually do this).

You can get to/from Phillp Island from/to GOR area by going via Sorrenta/Queenscliff (ferry) instead of driving via Melbourne (a long detours with a lot of traffic)
The Phillip Island penguins (main attraction) come out at sunset/dusk

From the airport you could go west on the faster inland route (Colac) to W'bool and then a slower trip east along the GOR and onto P Island via Queenscliff/Sorrento/
Koo-wee-up.
After Phillip Island return the car. Don't need a car in Melbourne. It will be a liability

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Why why why all the way to BNE for one night? Is Lone Pine worth 10 hours of transit when you only have 8 days? Go to MEL directly instead and see Healesville Sanctuary or Maru Park / Koala Conservation Center in Phillip Island.

Hotels in MEL, Grand Hyatt is good for the city, but I wouldn't have a car while in the city. Drop it off at a CBD rental location.

I agree with Mwenenzi, returning to MEL between the GOR and PI isn't the best option. Drive to Queenscliff instead and take the ferry to Sorrento. Drive up the coast to Mornington before heading east to Phillip Island. Stay somewhere along this route, rather than in MEL. I really like Sorrento, and there are tours where you can swim with wild dolphins (dolphins willing).

If you skip BNE, then you might consider flying to MEL in the evening, taking a taxi to the Grand Hyatt, then renting a car from a CBD location. Do the reverse trip (PI first, Sorrento, GOR) and then you can return to the CBD location without the one-way fee.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Why why why all the way to BNE for one night? Is Lone Pine worth 10 hours of transit when you only have 8 days? Go to MEL directly instead and see Healesville Sanctuary or Maru Park / Koala Conservation Center in Phillip Island.
<snip>
I agree with Mwenenzi, returning to MEL between the GOR and PI isn't the best option. Drive to Queenscliff instead and take the ferry to Sorrento. Drive up the coast to Mornington before heading east to Phillip Island. Stay somewhere along this route, rather than in MEL. I really like Sorrento, and there are tours where you can swim with wild dolphins (dolphins willing).
Possible route over 4 days / 3 nights

https://goo.gl/maps/pVp6vUvyDMw

Melb - Healesville-PI-Sorrento-GOR-Colac-Melb. Or the opposite starting from MEL airport
CPMaverick and whistler814 like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 17, 2018 at 12:46 am Reason: Gettimg map link to work
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by whistler814

Day 7 - Phillip Island

Hotels:

Car rentals:
Europcar?
Agree with others...Skip the BNE leg.

You are basically wasting 2 of your 8 days with travel. Technically the flight may only be 2,3 hours...but you need to pack, check out of the hotel, get to the airport, fly, get transport, haul luggage, check back in to a hotel. With 5 and 9 year olds!
CPMaverick and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Trying to rack my brain as to why the OP wants to go to Lone Pine, and I can only come up with one answer - holding a Koala.

Let me offer my opinion... it isn't worth it! Here are a few reasons why

- As stated above, you are spending maybe 20% of your holiday to do this, the effort and time involved is significant
- Koalas are stressed when they are held, it is not normal for them, this is why it is not legal in other states
- Because the animals are highly stressed, they limit the time you get to hold them (I've been told it is about 30 seconds, either smile for the photo or look at the Koala, not time for both!)
- Again, because of the stress on the animals, availability is not guaranteed! In other words, you might not even get to do it! If the koalas are irritable, they switch them out for a more suitable one, but in come cases, there aren't any available.
- Lone Pine is not considered a standout sanctuary in Australia. It is more like a Zoo (it does not meet the requirements of an accredited sanctuary), and ranks much lower than real sanctuaries like Healesville (better rated for the animals and by the visitors!). Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, but there are better places.

A specific experience at Lone Pine: https://lbeccue.wordpress.com/2016/0...mal-captivity/

I hope this helps!

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 21, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying to rack my brain as to why the OP wants to go to Lone Pine, and I can only come up with one answer - holding a Koala.

Let me offer my opinion... it isn't worth it! <snip>
Yes. From post 1
2. Is Lost Pine Sanctuary a good place to see/touch koalas and kangaroos?
A former Aussie politician described Koala's as "xxxxx little things", at one time

We all agree for only a week in Aussie going to BNE is not worth it and a very poor use of time & money.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:06 pm Reason: added "poor"
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Possible route over 4 days / 3 nights

https://goo.gl/maps/pVp6vUvyDMw

Melb - Healesville-PI-Sorrento-GOR-Colac-Melb. Or the opposite starting from MEL airport
Thank you Mwenenzi for the route suggestion.

Let me offer my opinion... it isn't worth it! Here are a few reasons why

I hope this helps!
I appreciate your perspective and the link to the blog. And yes, the original reason was so that my kids and I could go see and hold a koala. I hadn't considered how stressed the animal would be, and I agree that it's not worth it. Thank you CPMaverick for bringing this to my attention.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. From post 1

A former Aussie politician described Koala's as "xxxxx little things", at one time

We all agree for only a week in Aussie going to BNE is not worth it and a very use of time & money.
Understood ^
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.