Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Ridesharing popular in Sydney? If not, best airport shuttles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Is Ridesharing popular in Sydney? If not, best airport shuttles?

I'm on my way soon to Sydney and am starting to look for airport-to-downtown transfers. I was considering Uber/Lyft/etc if these are popular options, and if so, which is recommended?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:09 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Uber is widely available in Sydney but has restrictions at the airport. Generally uberx is no cheaper than taxis (at least whenever I have used it) and uber black is more expensive (but nicer). Fastest is the train (depending upon destination and time of day/traffic).
https://www.uber.com/airports/syd/
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Lyft doesn't exist in Australia. Uber/x from SYD is totally legal and usually easier than a taxi. The train is usually quicker into the CBD, but beware it's not a special airport train, just a regular commuter train so it can be heaving at peak times.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:04 pm

I've used Uber all over Sydney and it was a breeze. For us, it was a lot easier to and from the airport since we had large suitcases for a long trip. (Probably not that large, but definitely heavier than our normal carry-on only travel gear).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
I had mixed experiences with Uber in Sydney. Worked wonderfully well from my hotel to the airport. But from the airport (domestic terminal) it did not work for me. I requested Uber, was given the car and driver info, and went to the designated area, but the car never showed up. I use an ipad not a smartphone and didn't having roaming cellular data and the pickup area was far out of the airport's wifi zone, so there was no way to see what was happening. After a long wait, I went back to the airport and saw the driver had cancelled the trip. I never figured out what happened. I was not charged a cancellation fee so I guess it was just the driver's unilateral decision? When I did get a cab it cost around the same as the Uber quote, so it made trying Uber seem like a needless hassle. YMMV.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Plat
Airport to downtown is probly quickest by train, partic if arriving in peak hour/s - the station is under Intl terml and another under Dom. Takes you right downtown Syd, or connect to Nth Shore and elsewhere ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.