Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Pub food in oz is waaaaay better than pub food in UK or US. Almost always reliably good, even in remote pubs in country towns. Some sydney pubs would be called bistros in NYC and cost a lot more. Great value if you stick to their mainstream fare (chicken parma and fish&chips).
Recently ate at a place in Boston that's classified as a "gastropub" (Blue Dragon, an affiliate of the Blue Ginger whose owner/chef has a TV show on US public TV, "Simply Ming"). Any in OZ with the "gastro" prefix?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by BH62
Recently ate at a place in Boston that's classified as a "gastropub" (Blue Dragon, an affiliate of the Blue Ginger whose owner/chef has a TV show on US public TV, "Simply Ming"). Any in OZ with the "gastro" prefix?

Probably not, gastro is nearly always followed by "enteritis" here, it would be a brave yet foolish move imho. Ben, feel free to contradict me, I happily defer to you in the area of pubs and food in Sydney
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Ben, feel free to contradict me, I happily defer to you in the area of pubs and food in Sydney

What the Badger says is correct, don't mention "gastro" you'll get strange looks. Pretty much any pub in inner Sydney will have a menu that looks like the place you're talking about. There is much better though, if you want.^

Last edited by bensyd; Jan 6, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
We've been thinking of the Lord Nelson on our next trip to SYD. Would one classify it as a "pub" or something higher?
Stayed opposite the Lord Nelson during the time George Bush visited Sydney. He drove down Argyle Street and we had our car towed overnight because of it. A lot of messing about for him to drive past our house. BTW, when they moved our car they forgot when they put it.

I found the Lord Nelson to be a groovy little pub. There are plenty of pubs around the Rocks area like the Lord Nelson. There's a bit of history there.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Probably not, gastro is nearly always followed by "enteritis" here, it would be a brave yet foolish move imho. Ben, feel free to contradict me, I happily defer to you in the area of pubs and food in Sydney
lol
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:22 pm

If you want something a little like Blue Dragon it would be Queen Chow in Enmore. It's in the Queens Hotel.

Although I would still say the best "pub" dining in Sydney is the Four in Hand in Paddington.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz

Although I would still say the best "pub" dining in Sydney is the Four in Hand in Paddington.
When did you last go? It's gone a fair bit downhill since Fassnidge left. The restaurant is really more like an upmarket bistro than the unique menu that it had under Fassnidge. For the price point they're at, I'd rather eat at Bistro Moncur even if it's ~$10-$15 more/person (ironically they are owned by the same group)

Last edited by bensyd; Jan 9, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
When did you last go? It's gone a fair bit downhill since Fassnidge left. The restaurant is really more like an upmarket bistro than the unique menu that it had under Fassnidge. For the price point they're at, I'd rather eat at Bistro Moncur even if it's ~$10-$15 more/person (ironically they are owned by the same group)
I actually prefer the more classical menu. It's probably not the dining experience under Fassnidge but at the end it felt like he was being unique just for the sake of being unique.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I actually prefer the more classical menu. It's probably not the dining experience under Fassnidge but at the end it felt like he was being unique just for the sake of being unique.
Fassnidge's food was unique and probably too heavy for anything but an occasional meal, but it was pretty good. My main opposition is that Public House own three pubs in Paddington/Woollahra and they're all turning out such similar food (not to mention destroying the pubs in the process).

The suckling pig with all the trimmings and a few good bottles of red was a great weekend in July long lunch.

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Fish at the Rocks was pretty amazing when I dined. I had their signature dish, the barramundi, which was by far the best fish dish I have ever had.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Any recommendations on good sushi in Sydney?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The fish market was epic. You can get super fresh fish, some of the biggest oysters i have seen and i did see sushi and sashimi. worth a trip.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Sushi E, if the budget stretches. At the other end of the spectrum, I'm a fan of Sushi on Stanley and Jazushi. The fish market is also a good option.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is a cheap japanese restaurant in the World Trade Center which has remarkably good sushi (e.g. bento box takeaway for circa $15). Huge line of uni students though most of the time (hence why I have only gotten takeaway). While sushi is everywhere, most of it is poor quality, but there are some stunning cheap ones near chinatown. As for oysters in Oz, some of the best in the world if you get it fresh enough. As good as Long Island was years ago before it went downhill.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: points traveller
try also toko or sake for modern japanese.

or quality sushi train - makoto.

fish markets generally pretty good too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.