Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help planning trip to Bora Bora and beyond

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning to visit Bora Bora and Australia in May 2016, but I'm struggling on how best to do this with points. I believe this can be done on one award ticket. I've always used Ultimate Rewards, and have about 150k points so far saved up. However, I've heard Ultimate Rewards points may not be the best for this trip. I'm planning to broaden and increase my points accumulation through credit card offers, and can open cards for both my wife and I. I have two main questions:

1) Can anyone recommend the best program(s) for awards travel to Bora Bora that permits also visiting Australia? I've heard mixed opinions between AA, Delta, and Amex MR points.

2) Is it possible to also visit Asia on this trip? I figure I can do a bunch of one-way tickets, but then I worry I'll likely lose the stopover ability and it'll require a lot more points. We were thinking of visiting Thailand as well before heading back stateside. I'm not sure we have a specific order in mind between the destinations if that makes it easier.

We'll be flying from/to the NYC area, and I'd prefer to do this trip in business class over economy if possible. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:33 pm

AA miles can be used to reach Papeete but not Bora Bora. AA does not allow stopovers. You will need to book a series of one way tickets back-to-back.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Of the US-based FF programs, only United allows stopovers. The problem with United for travel to Bora Bora is that you have to fly via Auckland. Since you want to go to Australia, this may not be the worst - go to Australia first, then to PPT via AKL. But to get back to the US you'd then have to fly back to AKL. Plus Air NZ availability is notoriously stingy for NZ-US routes. You could use another currency for the return PPT-US, but then you won't get a stopover since United won't be a round trip itinerary.

Best is AA. They partner with Air Tahiti Nui, which flies LAX-PPT. AA also partners with Hawaiian, so you can fly via HNL to PPT if Air Tahiti Nui isn't available. Delta is also a good option as they partner with Air Tahiti Nui and Air France (which also flies LAX-PPT). Alaska miles could also be used on Air France. Those are your no-fuel-surcharge options. The best of the fuel surcharge options is probably Korean, but they require round trip US-PPT.

Because so few airlines serve PPT, it's a tough award to get. I wouldn't focus on maximizing stopovers as much as getting award seats to go where you want. Since you have UR, which covers Air France, maybe go for AA so you can book Air Tahiti Nui if it has availability. Whichever you don't use you can use for the Aus-US ticket (Qantas with AA miles or NZ/an Asian carrier with United miles).

ETA: you can't book an award flight to BOB. Best you can do is get to PPT, then you pay for PPT-BOB. I believe it's ~$500 RT.

Last edited by dukerau; Mar 11, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:50 pm

Get AA miles. US-PPT for 37.5k Then SQ on Air New Zealand 17.5k in business PPT-AKL-SYD or anywhere else in australia. Then another one way back to the US either using united or AA again.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:45 am

Bora Bora

We use AA miles (going in June) to do JFK-LAX-PPT. This is on Air Tahiti Nui. Air France does LAX-PPT a couple of times per week. The only other option is HA from HNL-PPT which runs on Saturday's only. Any other option will put you in NZ first and then you have to backtrack to PPT.

For clarity, Air Tahiti Nui is the international carrier and Air Tahiti is a separate airline that flies between the islands. There is no mileage progam that can be used on Air Tahiti. This means that the approximately $450 per person PPT-BOB roundtrip has to be paid for.

I also don't think you will be successful in doing your trip on one ticket as stopovers on PPT are not allowed. This means one ticket to/from PPT and another to/from Australia (via NZ as I don't think there are any flights from Australia to PPT).

The IHG card will give each of you one night at an IC Hotel including the IC on Bora Bora. You can also churn the HHonors credit card and if you get enough points you can stay at the Hilton on Bora Bora (both hotels in standard rooms but they offer paid upgrades).

Award flights on ATN to PPT are really, really tought to get. It looks like they release 2 business and 6 coach on each flight and then do not open up any more. HA from HNL looks like they have 1 business and about 7 coach per flight. You really have to be at +330 days out to have a good chance.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Air Tahiti Nui is your "go to" airline to PPT., though HA flies on Saturdays, and I think AF may still fly there on a limited schedule as well. Others that used to fly there now merely code share with TN (I do miss the QF 747SP!)

Air Tahiti is your a airline to BOB, but you can't use any airline's miles on it. Expect to pay $400-600 per person R/t for this flight.

Frankly, Bora Bora is very expensive and offers beauty and relative isolation. You can get about as much beauty, with less expense and many more activity and lodging options at Moorea, and get there by fast ferry from Papeete in a half hour.

Yes, I've been (several times, including other islands and Rangiroa out in the Tuamotus). We really enjoy Moorea for a pleasant holiday. (For high voltage diving, lots of Pelagius including sharks, Fakarava and Rangiroa are top notch. But I've had good diving at other islands, including Moorea.)

Be aware: high demand and prices July and August (it's all a French Overseas Territory, so, lots of French visitors and tourists for the tropical benefits. Also be aware the rains begin in December and can bring tropical storms lasting days.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:40 pm

I spent three weeks down there in Jan/Feb, it's a very beautiful place. For chase points Korean Air is a partner with TN bit the price is high 110K in economy / 185K in business. AF flies down there 60k/150K 4/5 times a week but releases very little space in biz. The best deal is AA 75k/125k. The biz award class bucket for TN is I. Book as far in advance as you can.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:18 pm

Delta is your best option with AA you usually have to fly via Hawaii. in terms of costs there are high surcharges with direct flighrs between LAX-PPT however AIR Tahiti is upgrading some of their air craft to lie flat bed. Currently only angle. AF is more or less impossible to get any space at a saver award. Try out Moorea it is closer and tends to be cheaper than Bora Bora...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Plenty of folks in AA forum have had luck booking on Air Tahiti Nui using AA miles. Just was in Bora Bora back in November for a week. Nice honeymoon location.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Delta is your best option with AA you usually have to fly via Hawaii. in terms of costs there are high surcharges with direct flighrs between LAX-PPT however AIR Tahiti is upgrading some of their air craft to lie flat bed. Currently only angle. AF is more or less impossible to get any space at a saver award. Try out Moorea it is closer and tends to be cheaper than Bora Bora...
Air Tahiti - VTis a purely domestic and short-haul airline; they have no aircraft capable of international business class, only Twin Otters and Beechcraft.

Air Tahiti Nui- TN has upgraded, AFAIK, three of its five A340-300 Airbus aircraft to angled flat Poerava Business (and eliminated Poerava First in all). Crapshoot as to which Poerava Business one will get - newer "capsule " angled flat or older nearly flat seats with foot - leg extension for sleeping.

We've had some confusion by the airlines' similar names.

I agree with choosing Moorea - one is apt to learn more about Polynesian customs, it's easy to get off the beaten track, there's lots to enjoy, and with much greater diversity of lodging, restaurants and activities, much cheaper than flying out to isolated Bora Bora. Otoh if one has money to burn, Bora Bora is lovely and will be happy to accept as much as you can pay.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More, TP Miles&Go Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Air Tahiti - VTis a purely domestic and short-haul airline; they have no aircraft capable of international business class, only Twin Otters and Beechcraft.
They have ATR 42's and ATR 72's too. I flew PPT-BOB-PPT on their ATR 72's.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:59 pm

Sorry was half asleep when writting should have just written TN
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by JDiver
It Air Tahiti does it have an International Route, they fly PPT-RAR-PPT 1-2x a week.

PPT hasn't really been connected to Australia very well in the past 5 years, everything has to be via AKL.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
It Air Tahiti does it have an International Route, they fly PPT-RAR-PPT 1-2x a week.

PPT hasn't really been connected to Australia very well in the past 5 years, everything has to be via AKL.
Didn't I say "domestic and short-haul"? That's precisely what you quoted.

I do agree - AKL isn't the same as SYD-PPT on QF. and the number of flights and seats to / from PPT has diminished.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:31 pm

Papeete to Australia is available through Noumea or Rarotonga without touching Auckland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.