Wiki Posts
Search

ID requirement for an Australian domestic flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, US Gold, AS MVP Gold
ID requirement for an Australian domestic flight

Hi, I am travelling to Australia for the first time this September and I will be travelling between SYD, BNE and MEL. Unfortunately, I have to renew my US visa at the consulate in Melbourne and leave my passport there. The process should take no more than 3 days but in case I don't get my passport back in time for my domestic flight, can I fly within Australia with a valid US driver's license? A friend of mine told me that Australian domestic flight doesn't require/check ID (at check-in counter/security check point)??? Is that true? He also mentioned even if they do check it, a US driver's license would be acceptable? Can somebody confirm that? This might be a stupid question but many thanks to anyone who can help me!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expect you will be OK with US d/l
I have never been asked for ID flying domestic in Australia
And you do not need a boarding pass to go airside
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Yes, I fly in from abroad and then around Australia and they don't require passport on domestic and seldom ask for any photo ID.

Domestic air travel in Australia is quite pleasant.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
I have been IDed on domestic. Can't remember if it's every single time.
If I'm not wrong, Theoretically only Australian government-issued ID or a foreign passport are acceptable. You'd better check if the airline will accept a US drivers license.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: KF & QFF
You should be fine. Most domestic carriers have a kiosk check in system, which only require either Credit Card or booking ref & personal details to ID you.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I've been ID once recently on an Aussie Domestic flight, but that was only a couple of weeks after the Lint cafe incident in Sydney (which seemed to put everything on high alert).

I just used my NZ issued drivers licence
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Just be careful which flights you book - DON'T select one of the few remaining flights which operate between international terminals, you WILL need ID for immigration control, and it isn't worth the hassle (unless you have OWE status).

Dave
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:32 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by mandolino
Domestic air travel in Australia is quite pleasant.
If you're used to the US and the TSA "security theatre" involved, you should find this to be an understatement. No TSA goon checking your ID and boarding pass (what for?), generally no need to take shoes etc. off, and you may find the security folks actually smile at you and say hello. For domestic flights, it's usually a very easy and pleasant experience, with minimal lines - an altogether different experience from the US.

Originally Posted by thadocta
Just be careful which flights you book - DON'T select one of the few remaining flights which operate between international terminals
If you're on a domestic flight out of/in to an international terminal, the boarding pass usually has a big letter 'D' on it. I've only ever done it a couple of times and can't remember whether they asked for ID, though they may do. With that possible exception (and as thadocta says, solve it by not taking a domestic flight from/to an international terminal), I've never, ever been asked for ID when flying domestically.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:19 am

You don't need a boarding pass or ID to go through security and I have never been asked for ID domestically and fly around 5 return domestic trips a month.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by henrus
You don't need a boarding pass or ID to go through security and I have never been asked for ID domestically and fly around 5 return domestic trips a month.
I have been asked for photo ID a few times, mainly with VA, and mainly at the luggage drop off counters, so it can happen, but that was when I was making flight change enquiries or baggage drops, so there was an actual interaction with staff. On most occasions though, FF cards have sufficed, with both VA and QF.

Having said that though, JQ will want ID, not for security reasons, but as a revenue protection measure - they don't want the ticket on-sold to someone else, against the ticket rules.

As fior the domestic flights between international terminals (as mentioned above), you WILL need photo ID on EACH and EVERY occasion, as you will be entering a Customs zone, and mingling with passengers, both arriving and departing, who have either legally departed or have not yet arrived in Australia.

Australian Border Force will want to make sure that you are a domestic passenger, hence you need to provide ID when checking in (which is noted on the D sticker on the BP, this ID is checked at outwards immigration, again at inwards immigration, and finally before Customs screening.

If using these flights, you are still subject to Customs screening (I have had it a few times), since there is always the possibility that an inbound International passenger on the same flight could have passed contraband to you on the flight in order to circumvent Australia Customs laws, so be prepared for this.

All in all, best to avoid these flights, again though, unless you are OWE.

Dave
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, US Gold, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by thadocta
I have been asked for photo ID a few times, mainly with VA, and mainly at the luggage drop off counters, so it can happen, but that was when I was making flight change enquiries or baggage drops, so there was an actual interaction with staff. On most occasions though, FF cards have sufficed, with both VA and QF.

Having said that though, JQ will want ID, not for security reasons, but as a revenue protection measure - they don't want the ticket on-sold to someone else, against the ticket rules.

As fior the domestic flights between international terminals (as mentioned above), you WILL need photo ID on EACH and EVERY occasion, as you will be entering a Customs zone, and mingling with passengers, both arriving and departing, who have either legally departed or have not yet arrived in Australia.

Australian Border Force will want to make sure that you are a domestic passenger, hence you need to provide ID when checking in (which is noted on the D sticker on the BP, this ID is checked at outwards immigration, again at inwards immigration, and finally before Customs screening.

If using these flights, you are still subject to Customs screening (I have had it a few times), since there is always the possibility that an inbound International passenger on the same flight could have passed contraband to you on the flight in order to circumvent Australia Customs laws, so be prepared for this.

All in all, best to avoid these flights, again though, unless you are OWE.

Dave
Thanks a lot for that information^! I am also wondering about the hotel check-in process in Australia. I have been to countries where they are legally required to scan and keep a copy of all foreigners' passports. Is Australia's hotels more like that or do they accept an photo ID (US driver license) for check-in? I realize that different hotels probably have different standard but I would appreciate any insights you can share!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
Some Australian hotels will insist on passport or Australian government issued id only, others will take anything or even no id.
If you have prepaid your accommodation through Expedia or whatever and cannot provide id at checkin, the hotel has every right to refuse to check you in and make you forfeit what you have paid.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL, GE, AAA
The hotel I stay at in Sydney, Travelodge, has accepted my Missouri DL as a valid ID. They make a photocopy of it.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Travelodge is the only change that I've ever had ask for ID in Australia, manly stay at Pullmans and they never ask!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by jasonq
Thanks a lot for that information^! I am also wondering about the hotel check-in process in Australia. I have been to countries where they are legally required to scan and keep a copy of all foreigners' passports. Is Australia's hotels more like that or do they accept an photo ID (US driver license) for check-in? I realize that different hotels probably have different standard but I would appreciate any insights you can share!
Usually I think they don't ask for ID. Or do they? It's certainly not like Europe where they're obliged to keep a copy of passports so the government can track you.

If they want to verify your identity it will be purely for their own satisfaction, and I'm sure your foreign driver's license will be fine. I'd quit worrying about it if I were you.

The only place I'd anticipate any problems at all is with overzealous meat-for-brains bouncers at particularly paranoid bars, if you look like you could possibly be under 18. (Interestingly I got rejected at the door of a bar in Seattle with my Australian driver's licence, and I'm 35 with greying hair!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.