Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any good place to meet up BEFORE customs/immigration in SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:37 pm
gof
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Any good place to meet up BEFORE customs/immigration in SYD?

We're meeting up with another person in Sydney airport before (we both) flying on ahead to Cairns (we're arriving via Aukland, they from Seoul, Korea). They arrive a couple hours before us. Where's a good place for us to meet up without leaving security on the transfer to domestic? I'm guessing it might be best to meet BEFORE going through customs/immigration but I don't know if this is possible/practical. I know some airports have some facilities on the secure side, but others (like ORD) are absolutely austere (unless you want to wait in the bathroom ).

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: VAG
Do you like duty free shops? Do you like spending several hours in a medium-sized duty free shop, staring intently at the label on the back of every bottle of still-overpriced Scotch? Well, you're in luck, because Sydney airport international arrivals prior to immigration consists of a few corridors, an unavoidable duty free shop, and a queue for immigration.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend waiting on the before-immigration side. Aside from the fact you'll be bored and there's nowhere to sit down, and the fact you might attract some unwanted attention from the fine folks at border security, there's the fact that your bags are (presumably) going to be sitting there unclaimed.

You could go through immigration, grab your bags, and then wait in the baggage hall between immigration and customs, where you'll find a few seats to sit in. The baggage claim hall isn't an interesting place to spend two hours though.

Honestly though, why bother? There's no such thing as an international-to-domestic transfer without going through security, you're going to have to go through security at the domestic terminal anyway. So if it were me, and if I didn't have any lounge access, I would head out through immigration and customs and then head upstairs to the departures level of the international terminal, where you'll find a bit more to do in order to fill in your couple of hours. Then once your friends' flight gets in, head downstairs again and join the crowd outside the arrivals door waiting for people.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:19 am
gof
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
The person we're meeting will be an unaccompanied minor (15yo). Just trying to find a good meeting spot.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Are you flying QF? The airside transfer bus is only for QF, other airlines have other arrangements. In all cases you must go landside upon arrival at SYD, the QF transfer to domestic terminal is landside even though the transfer bus drives airside. There is a McD outside the SYD int'l arrivals hall, that might be the easiest meeting place. But SYD int'l arrivals landside is not a huge area, so shouldn't be too much danger of getting lost. Personally I would meet over at the domestic terminal (note there are 2 terminals, so varies with airline you are flying).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:49 pm

Nowhere.

You will be looked upon very suspiciously if found loitering around immigration for 2+ hours as well as the fact that your baggage will be left unclaimed.

There's a few cafes pre-security on the departures level of the international terminal or alternatively meet near the gate in the domestic terminal for your flight to Cairns.

Airline staff will assist the 15 year old in transferring from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. It's very simple.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:55 pm

The OP is arriving after the minor. If the minor is already ticketed and is comfortable I would suggest going all the way through to the domestic terminal and waiting there.

Pre immigration and customs there are only duty free shops and the international transfer desks. Even post immigration the customs area is not pleasant and hanging around with checked baggage is going to look equally suspicious as hanging around pre immigration.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
When did a 15 year old become uncapable of survival?

Last edited by RacingJunkie; Jul 17, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by gof
The person we're meeting will be an unaccompanied minor (15yo). Just trying to find a good meeting spot.
Just to point out the obvious, if they're travelling as an unaccompanied minor they won't get a choice about waiting anywhere. And I suspect the airline won't be all that happy with playing minder for ~2 hours between intl and domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.