Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD: Renting a car using AMEX MR or Chase UR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

SYD: Renting a car using AMEX MR or Chase UR

I am thinking of renting a car for about 3/4 days at the SYD.

I have points with MR and UR (US Based) - Any tips? Which one is better or alternatives to consider?

Do I need to purchase auto insurance? Any particular brand (hertz...?) to stick with?

I am traveling early next yr - if I book now, can I cancel without penalty?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: NZ*S
Renting at the airport means you get hit with a premium location surcharge, which was 28.5% last time I checked (Avis), if you have managable luggage catching the train or bus then hiring from a city location will save you 20% or so on the rental.

Yes, if you book online directly with the rental company you can cancel at no charge. So you can find the best deal now, and check back every month or so to see if there is a better deal and book that, then cancel original booking.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Renting at the airport means you get hit with a premium location surcharge, which was 28.5% last time I checked (Avis), if you have managable luggage catching the train or bus then hiring from a city location will save you 20% or so on the rental.

Yes, if you book online directly with the rental company you can cancel at no charge. So you can find the best deal now, and check back every month or so to see if there is a better deal and book that, then cancel original booking.
I have a party of 4 - believe in Aust, you need to buy 3 tickets and get 4th free - not sure if there are age limits.

Assuming 3 tickets, it would cost me 3 x $20 for the ground transportation via train. Don't you think renting a car will be cheaper even with the 20% extra?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by sciconf
I have a party of 4 - believe in Aust, you need to buy 3 tickets and get 4th free - not sure if there are age limits.

Assuming 3 tickets, it would cost me 3 x $20 for the ground transportation via train. Don't you think renting a car will be cheaper even with the 20% extra?
There was no "we" in the first post, it was all "I", therefore I assumed you were travelling alone. So yes, if there are 4 of you the train fares may well negate any rental savings.

Not sure about the buy 3 get one free thing, I somewhat doubt that with the way Sydney Airport charges for airport access charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.