Wiki Posts
Search

Raratonga Cross Island Trek and a fear of heights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
Raratonga Cross Island Trek and a fear of heights

I'm planning a trip to Raratonga and the Cross Island Trek looks like fun. However, some of the pictures I've seen online include sections where there is a chain to hold on to as you walk, presumably because you might otherwise fall off the trail. I love the sort of thing, but my husband is afraid of heights. He doesn't have vertigo, he has that other heights thing where you're afraid you (or those around you) will jump. This is a real thing.

On the web site, the description includes:
The hike leads up the valley and across the island under a canopy of native trees to a steep 400 meter ascent 0of the Needle.
I think this part is optional - we all mill around the base of the Needle and some can go up it if they want. But you don't have to. I think.

and

The crossing of a narrow ridge at the top is neither for the faint hearted nor for those with any physical challenges.
He's strong and brave, so if it's not up high, this won't be a problem. But if it's high, he won't be able to do it. So, can anyone tell me what it's like?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:48 am

The guide books tend to overhype the hike. It is a super fun hike that takes about a half day. You do not need a guide. Yes, there are some ropes to make going up or down some muddy parts easier, but nothing like some National Park hikes in the US (Half Dome in Yosemite or Angels Landing at Zion).

Here is a link to a short video of my wife and I doing the Raratonga Cross Island Trek. http://www.quickadventures.net/cook-islands.html
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that's just the kind of personal experience I need. I can't get your video to play. Would you say there are any exposed lookouts, where you're sitting at the top of a cliff looking out over a great view? If so, is it possible to stay about 10 feet back from the edge?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:28 am

There are no cliffs. That actual rock peak is a 100 meters off the trail. I suppose that it has been climbed many times, but as far as the cross island trek, there are no drop-offs or other dangers (just some annoying bugs).

A picture is worth a thousand words. Photos are posted at http://www.quickadventures.net
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Your pictures make me want to be there right now, and not have to wait! They've also reassured the love of my life. And you gave me the idea to search you tube for videos of the trek, and while I only found two, that was enough to show him that as you say, there are no cliffs. So the trek is on and I'm excited! Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:15 am

Hi @ypqRD The trekk is marvelous and it is climbing in steep terrain but there is always trees, branches and ropes to grab. I have trouble with heights but it didnt bother me at all.
I can recommend doing the trekk with a guide, Paw, in a guided tour. He can tell you about what you are seeing or otherwise would miss.

Have a nice stay in Rarotonga/Jaws

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.