Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Central - luggage storage for the day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Sydney Central - luggage storage for the day

4 of us are arriving at SYD in the morning at 08:15 and scheduled to leave at 20:32 at Syndey Central train station for the overnight service to Melbourne via sleeper car.

What's the best option to store luggage during the day? The web site says the following:

The cloak room and lockers at Sydney's Central Station are closed until further notice. Staff in NSW TrainLink's luggage room at the station will not be able to store luggage for any length of time unless it has been checked in to go on a NSW TrainLink service.
Would they let us check in our luggage as early as 10am for a departure at 8:30pm?

It looks like there is the Luggage storage at World Square about a 10 minute walk from the station.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
My sympathies for the overnight sleeper car service; it isn't one of the great train rides of the world from what I have heard. At least you don't have to change trains at the border any more (actually they just changed the wheels to match the different gauge, but very disruptive to sleeping).

Central had an excellent baggage store room which has been closed for about a decade now. Given the conscious decision to eliminate such storage, I doubt that check-in is available 12 hours ahead. SYD airport does have left luggage service (about $20/day/bag so not cheap), many hotels would also do it with a tip to the bell captain. Another option is to get a day room at Central, for example the Adina or Mercure are right at the station (back entrance) and often have day rooms at 50% of night rate or about $100.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:39 pm
mfl

Programs: Miles & More, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by number_6
, many hotels would also do it with a tip to the bell captain.
I have left my luggage plenty of times in various Australian city hotels, when both arriving too early for a room or leaving with a late flight and have never had to tip the 'bell captain" for that service...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:14 am
Original Member

But OPs situation is to leave bags without staying at that hotel ... hence a tip may be expedient if not booking a room.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Now that I read the suggestions I realize that having a room would be very useful - both for showers and luggage storage.

Will look to find a day rate at a property close by!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Would a Sydney hotel have a day rate?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Would a Sydney hotel have a day rate?
Almost all of them do but you have to book directly with the hotel and terms hinge on their booking load. Even the PH has a day rate, but it is a bit stratospheric. Around Central the Mercure and Adina definitely do, also there is a very nice hostel next to the Adina which would be a cheaper option. Another alternative is to book a hotel with a nice pool (a bit rarer in Sydney).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yvr76
Thanks for all the replies. Now that I read the suggestions I realize that having a room would be very useful - both for showers and luggage storage.

Will look to find a day rate at a property close by!
Isn't there still a free shower landside at SYD, one where you need to make sure to bring your own towel and soap?

Seems so, according to this: http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find...9C3855E5CD6%7D
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Isn't there still a free shower landside at SYD, one where you need to make sure to bring your own towel and soap?

Seems so, according to this: http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find...9C3855E5CD6%7D
Yes, it's still there.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
My sympathies for the overnight sleeper car service; it isn't one of the great train rides of the world from what I have heard.
This. 1000 times this.

I wound up using my SPG your24 benefits to sort a 10am - 8pm at the Westin Sydney (for both showers and luggage storage) and then we went on the overnight service.

In hindsight I wished we had just booked 2 rooms, stayed overnight and flew out in the morning.

In Mrs. YVR's words: "I felt like I was in a prison cell experiencing a 12 hour earthquake"

Our previous train experience being the Shinkansen green cars, it's like going from a luxury hotel to a Motel 6.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:10 am
Original Member

Australia does have a couple of good quality train services, such as the Ghan, but they are expensive and go from nowhere to nowhere (sorry for the humour and no slight to Adelaide/Darwin/Perth etc intended). The SYD-MEL train has succumbed to air competition (with flights every few minutes at peak it is one of the most heavily traveled air routes in the world, more pax per year than any route in the USA for example). Flying is quite nice with good airport amenities at both ends and you can fly with liquids (bottles of wine).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yvr76
I wound up using my SPG your24 benefits to sort a 10am - 8pm at the Westin Sydney (for both showers and luggage storage) and then we went on the overnight service.
For future reference (and not helpful in the exact situation you had), if you arrive early at the Westin and they don't have a room ready, they will let you use the showers in their Gym - including providing towels. Not exactly the same as one of their rooms, but better than nothing!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:44 am
Original Member

Quite a few hotels have an "early arrival" facility of some sort, often a suite converted to be a lounge. Sometimes they offer showers. Most hotels that don't will let you use their gym. Westin in SYD happens to have a great gym/pool so its a nice perk. Worst case you can often buy a daypass to the gym for a reasonable cost as many hotels have made gyms a profit center and sell local memberships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.